Star Wars: Nothing But Star Wars

Myrddin

22 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Then she'd be useful after she tried and failed to kill Vader too! See, that's the problem I have with the argument - killing her or not killing her is fine, but killing her right after Kenobi escaped, again is really stupid. She either has usefulness to find Kenobi or she doesn't, but if she doesn't that usefulness ended as soon as they landed on Jabiim - or heck, even before that when she tells them about Jabiim and they confirm he's there.

Haven't caught up on the whole thread, but the way I took that scene is Reva stabbed the actual Grand Inquisitor and left him for dead, so the GI did the same to her - while talking about the value of revenge.  Seems like a plan Vader would appove of -- and Liam Neeson, for that matter.

As an aside before the Obi-Wan finale takes over this thread, I’ve just finished a rewatch of Rebels, and that finale hits hard. There’s three different moments that got me all emotional.

24 minutes ago, Maltaran said:

I’ve just finished a rewatch of Rebels, and that finale hits hard. There’s three different moments that got me all emotional.

Along with Rogue One (and I guess the first Luke scene in Mando, but that's kinda cheating), that finale is easily my favorite Star Wars thing since the OT.

44 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The final 3 episodes of Clone Wars. Took me back. Got chills. 

Oh, shit, yeah I meant the Ahsoka finale of Clone Wars.  Whoops.  The finale for Rebels was pretty good too though.

6 hours ago, Maltaran said:

As an aside before the Obi-Wan finale takes over this thread, I’ve just finished a rewatch of Rebels, and that finale hits hard. There’s three different moments that got me all emotional.

Have to rewatch that show in the near future. But first I want to go with TCW in the official 'Lord Varys chronological version' which is hell of a lot better than the official chronology. Also TBB again before it heads into the second season.

I really liked Rebels back in the day.

5 hours ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

The final 3 episodes of Clone Wars. Took me back. Got chills. 

That one was really great. Ahsoka's reaction to Maul's silly offer is just ... perfect. That is really great cinema.

That was...okay, I guess? There were bullet points that I felt were being checked off, but at least they checked them off reasonably well.

Spoiler

Another Vader/Obi-Wan fight, which Obi-Wan wins but lets Vader live out of pity (condemning who knows how many more to die, but I guess he figures the Emperor would just employ one of the Inquisitors in his stead who would do just as many horrible things, maybe more effectively without Vader's disabilities). Then the Emperor telling Vader to focus and forget about Obi-Wan. I kind of buy that but also kind of don't. I'm more intrigued why the Emperor is so chill about knowing that Obi-Wan and probably Yoda are both still out there and hanging out.

Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen as the homestead siege defenders was kind of cool, but undersold. Maybe a more typical Western homestead siege situation against Tuskens or something would have been better. As it stands, it feels like Reva should have been powerful enough to take them out without a problem or so injured and weakened that she was easy pickings. She was a very specific level of injured to make the fight even halfway viable.

Obi-Wan said the thing! And Liam Neeson is here! Yay! I mean, it was fun but predictable. I do wonder if a second season would benefit from a lower-key storyline (bringing in the Inquisitors, Vader and the Jedi railroad felt like a lot for just six episodes) and Liam Neeson showing up every now and then to sass-comment on Obi-Wan's antics.

It was also desperately crucial that we saw how Luke got his skyhopper toy that we see him playing with in the OG Star Wars for like five seconds. Glad they cleared that up.

Just about the only thing left untouched here was where did Obi-Wan get his house? Season 2 primary story arc right there.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

That was...okay, I guess? There were bullet points that I felt were being checked off, but at least they checked them off reasonably well.

Hide contents

Another Vader/Obi-Wan fight, which Obi-Wan wins but lets Vader live out of pity (condemning who knows how many more to die, but I guess he figures the Emperor would just employ one of the Inquisitors in his stead who would do just as many horrible things, maybe more effectively without Vader's disabilities). Then the Emperor telling Vader to focus and forget about Obi-Wan. I kind of buy that but also kind of don't. I'm more intrigued why the Emperor is so chill about knowing that Obi-Wan and probably Yoda are both still out there and hanging out.

Aunt Beru and Uncle Owen as the homestead siege defenders was kind of cool, but undersold. Maybe a more typical Western homestead siege situation against Tuskens or something would have been better. As it stands, it feels like Reva should have been powerful enough to take them out without a problem or so injured and weakened that she was easy pickings. She was a very specific level of injured to make the fight even halfway viable.

Obi-Wan said the thing! And Liam Neeson is here! Yay! I mean, it was fun but predictable. I do wonder if a second season would benefit from a lower-key storyline (bringing in the Inquisitors, Vader and the Jedi railroad felt like a lot for just six episodes) and Liam Neeson showing up every now and then to sass-comment on Obi-Wan's antics.

It was also desperately crucial that we saw how Luke got his skyhopper toy that we see him playing with in the OG Star Wars for like five seconds. Glad they cleared that up.

Just about the only thing left untouched here was where did Obi-Wan get his house? Season 2 primary story arc right there.

The whole thing does seem like a weird exercise in merely marking time.  All about Obi-Wan’s spiritual enlightenment more than anything else…

Pretty disappointing stuff from Kenobi; it's really sad because there was a good idea there under all the poorly thought out plots, reused dialogue, poor choreography, cheap special effects, and general faffing around.

So are they going to edit A New Hope where Leia instead of saying "General Kenobi, years ago you served my father in the Clone Wars" to "Hello, Obi-Wan, it's Leia. I need your help."? Because what they did here really retcons this relationship.

12 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Breathing machine was damaged. Then helmet broken.

He didn't bother fighting back at all during the second half, long before he received that damage.

16 minutes ago, Toth said:

He didn't bother fighting back at all during the second half, long before he received that damage.

Obi-Wan used Anakin's dominating fighting style against Vader in the second half of the fight. You can see that in the lightsaber moves. I thought it was a nice touch.

I thought the duel was generally good. Obi-Wan once again simply walking away is a head scratcher because even from a Jedi perspective, a foe like Vader ought to be brought to justice. But it does mirror the encounter in Rebels between Vader and Ahsoka, where Ahsoka decides to kill Vader as a means to avenge Anakin, which, as stated by Vader, is not the Jedi way. And maybe Obi-Wan thought that there was no meaningful justice to serve Vader as the Republic is gone. So either give into the temptation of avenging the loss of Anakin and kill Vader, or walk away.

45 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

How do we explain the line from “A New Hope”… “When last we met I was the learner now I am the master”?  It seems really out of joint now.

That was on the one miss, I thought. Obi-Wan should've thrown out a line at him during the fight. "I see why you were never given the rank of master." Or "You still have a lot to learn." Or something to make the NH line work better.

Archived