Star Wars: Nothing But Star Wars

Myrddin

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:
  Hide contents

Wrath of Khan managed to have Khan never meet Kirk

Spoiler

That's one of the many many strengths of Wrath of Khan though...and it's something that could help a Star Wars story...maybe...

28 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

Only if you assume she's already conspiring with Kenobi, which she isn't at that point. 'Till then she's still a useful piece to keep on the board. 

I don't see that at all. How is she useful other than finding Kenobi? By that logic once Kenobi escapes she should still be kept around too. 

If the logic is that Vader should wait until he's absolutely sure she'll betray him - that's silly. Vader should just fuck her up because he wants to. Now, him wanting to make her extra miserable knowing that she got close and messed it up before she dies - okay, that's fun and all - but none of this makes any sense beyond 'Vader likes messing with people'.

54 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I don't see that at all. How is she useful other than finding Kenobi? By that logic once Kenobi escapes she should still be kept around too. 

If the logic is that Vader should wait until he's absolutely sure she'll betray him - that's silly. Vader should just fuck her up because he wants to. Now, him wanting to make her extra miserable knowing that she got close and messed it up before she dies - okay, that's fun and all - but none of this makes any sense beyond 'Vader likes messing with people'.

What about dismantling The Path? If her desire to kill Vader means he can use her to do some damage to enemies of the Empire, then she's still useful.

And if we're talking about utility, what's the utility in killing her when you suggest? She's no danger to him, as he aptly demonstrated. 

8 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

What about dismantling The Path? If her desire to kill Vader means he can use her to do some damage to enemies of the Empire, then she's still useful.

Then she'd be useful after she tried and failed to kill Vader too! See, that's the problem I have with the argument - killing her or not killing her is fine, but killing her right after Kenobi escaped, again is really stupid. She either has usefulness to find Kenobi or she doesn't, but if she doesn't that usefulness ended as soon as they landed on Jabiim - or heck, even before that when she tells them about Jabiim and they confirm he's there. 

As to dismantling the Path, I don't think Vader gives any shits about that at all. No one else seems to care other than Reva. 

8 minutes ago, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

And if we're talking about utility, what's the utility in killing her when you suggest? She's no danger to him, as he aptly demonstrated. 

Because if you're going to kill her and you're justifying when, you should do it earlier rather than later so she won't be a disruption or won't aid Kenobi in leaving like she actually did

12 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Then she'd be useful after she tried and failed to kill Vader too!

Of course she is. That's why Vader left her alive.

Because if you're going to kill her and you're justifying when, you should do it earlier rather than later so she won't be a disruption or won't aid Kenobi in leaving like she actually did. 

She wasn't conspiring with Kenobi at that point. 

5 hours ago, sifth said:

According to the Star Wars wiki, Vader can only eat RepMed Vita Paste.

Star Wars Vegemite? Vader is indeed in a living hell.

ETA: Someone has already done what Disney didn't/couldn't do: De-age Anakin

18 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Star Wars Vegemite? Vader is indeed in a living hell.

ETA: Someone has already done what Disney didn't/couldn't do: De-age Anakin

Same thing happened with Luke in Then Mandalorian/BoBF iirc. 

It feels good to be right re: the Grand Inquisitor and the Third Sister.

While I get it why she might be carried away in the episode as she was - Vader makes it clear that Obi-Wan used her - the entire plot would have worked, much, much better if they had established that Vader only communicated with the Third Sister via hologram and she had neither met nor trained with him in person prior to the show. She is the lowest ranking inquisitor, so it stands to reason that her training was done not by Vader himself but by the Grand Inquisitor and the others.

It makes sense that she would search for Obi-Wan to get close to Vader and distract him ... but if she does have routinely access to Vader and his facilities it seems to be overly complicated and unncessary.

As for killing her - she isn't dead yet, and it seems clear that neither the Grand Inquisitor nor Vader actually wanted to kill her. They wanted to see her suffer, possibly teaching her a lesson. Now she might use the information she gathered to get back into Vader's graces.

I don't understand the mechanics of the escape/attack. There is a hangar - why the hell didn't Vader position his Star Destroyer and/or his TIE fighters above said hangar to blow destroy whoever tried to escape?

7 hours ago, Ran said:

That ship has surely sailed. They're not going to have a parallel canon. But Heir to the Empire was an inventive, engaging series that recalled the original trilogy while pushing the development of its characters and the story forward past it in a way that is, IMO, very satisfying. Since they seem to consider Thrawn to be canonical, they should just bring in the rest of that story and bend it to fit into the new canon. It's largely a better (read: more consequential) story than most anything Lucasfilm has come up with on TV so far.

The Thrawn Trilogy isn't particularly good, actually. It is a nice story about the young New Republic and the declining Empire facing off, but it small story with a limited scope. Still, if we were getting a proper New Republic and stuff it could have been interesting.

But that is all gone.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

(I'd love it if we finally got Mara Jade into the canon, too, even if she doesn't end up in a relationship with Luke.)

That certainly would be great, although they still could marry and have children (or at least one child) in this new canon stuff. All we would need for that is Mara dying early - as she does in the EU - or she and their child being somewhere else during the ST.

In fact, they should definitely adapt the concept of the 'Emperor's Hand' in the new canon. The Inquisitorius hunts Jedi, but Palpatine having trusted secret agents (or only one agent) completely loyal and devoted to him was a great idea of Zahn's and certainly feels like something Palpatine would have done.

Even if the old EU was gutted by the Disney shitshow - there is still potential in quite a few EU characters and concepts.

One big thing are the Rogue Squadron books - Stackpole and Allston created some rather interesting characters there. That's stuff one could easily adapt from the EU since the stories wouldn't contradict anything 'meaningful' from the new canon.

7 hours ago, Ran said:

Well, admittedly, I was not thinking that part of them. But also, admittedly, I haven't actually read any of the books with the Vong, I just knew the general gist of a new and dangerous threat.  Though I didn't realize they were that destructive, as well. That does sound over the top.

Wert was going a little too far there. There are pretty fucked up Vong, but an adaptation wouldn't have to focus on them - nor would they have to go with the Vong design as established.

He is right, though, that the impact of the Vong is devastating - it is a real catastrophe, tha galaxy is burning like it would if they were all stuck in World War II. And a big problem of the post-Vong EU is that they don't really properly deal with the aftermath.

That said - if you have the time the series is really a pretty great reading experience. 19 novels depicting a gigantic war with a proper prelude, a middle, and a finale.

9 hours ago, DaveSumm said:

Ugh, there’s very little successful execution with this show. 

Yeah, watching this episode I realised the core problem with the series: every scene feels like a first take. Like, nobody ever looked at a scene and said 'that's not good enough, let's do it again'. I don't mean in the acting performances, which range from fine to great: the actors are generally pros. I mean in the staging, writing, CGI even, it's like Disney were constantly saying 'just get it in the can and move on'.

It's fun enough but like I said last week, you basically have to pretend it's extremely high budget fanfic, not canon at all. That's the only way to forgive its deficiencies.

There is definitely quite a compelling story there,  but the way it’s been presented has just been horrible from the start. Obi Wan being confronted by the reality of Order 66, an escaped Youngling back for revenge bringing his past back to face him.. I like it. That’s what I was thinking during this episode.. this COULD be good.

But it never was, there is nothing clever or inventive about any of it, it’s just a series of contrived template set pieces designed to fill time while the can get through the story. Last week it was the ‘escape’ this week it’s being trapped with stormtroopers outside ( felt like very low budget TLJ).

Reva is also a wasted character, if you actually want the entire show to centre around her, which this seemingly does, then you have to make her better. Both writing and performance was just bad, maybe she’s a good actress but her direction in how to play this character was so out of keeping it wrecked what could have been an interesting dynamic. 

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

As for killing her - she isn't dead yet, and it seems clear that neither the Grand Inquisitor nor Vader actually wanted to kill her. They wanted to see her suffer, possibly teaching her a lesson. Now she might use the information she gathered to get back into Vader's graces.

How many times are they gonna do the "Vader lets people escape so they can suffer" thing? It's getting ridiculous. OT Vader would've force choked her by now, especially after she betrayed him. No way would she be given a chance to get back in his good graces.

Also if Vader and the Grand Inquisitor still didn't want to kill her at the end, why'd he impale her with a lightsaber? Seems intended to kill, you don't really expect people to survive that.

6 hours ago, Lord Varys said:

I don't understand the mechanics of the escape/attack. There is a hangar - why the hell didn't Vader position his Star Destroyer and/or his TIE fighters above said hangar to blow destroy whoever tried to escape?

Escapes don't make any sense in this series.

First a couple of snow speeders waltzing in to rescue them from a major imperial base.

Now this. Apparently the empire doesn't have tie fighters anymore.

Also, the might of the empire foiled by a single blast door that Reva just cuts through with her lightsaber anyway? How much did these writers get paid? Imagine getting paid to write something this dumb.

2 hours ago, Heartofice said:

There is definitely quite a compelling story there,  but the way it’s been presented has just been horrible from the start. Obi Wan being confronted by the reality of Order 66, an escaped Youngling back for revenge bringing his past back to face him.. I like it. That’s what I was thinking during this episode.. this COULD be good.

Agree, so much wasted potential.

The first two seasons of The Mandalorian felt like Filoni and Favreau had creative control but it's clear that Disney have really got their claws into it now and the creatives are going to have barely any freedom anymore. The part were Vader force clutches the escaping ship apparently happens in one of Disney's theme park rides, so they're using the series to sell their rides now.

Interestingly, the young kid in the episode (who was also in Episode 2) is supposed to be Corran Horn. They used details like his mother's name in the episode being Nyche, as Corran's is in the books. Speculation is that Corran will be a main character either in Rogue Squadron or one of the upcoming other projects.

1 hour ago, Darryk said:

The first two seasons of The Mandalorian felt like Filoni and Favreau had creative control but it's clear that Disney have really got their claws into it now and the creatives are going to have barely any freedom anymore. The part were Vader force clutches the escaping ship apparently happens in one of Disney's theme park rides, so they're using the series to sell their rides now.

Wait, is this true or just a joke? If it's real, it certainly would explain why the scene looked so fake.

7 minutes ago, sifth said:

Wait, is this true or just a joke? If it's real, it certainly would explain why the scene looked so fake.

I don't think this is quite right. In the most recent iteration of Star Tours, it's true, Vader briefly stops your ship from escaping with the Force, but that's on a larger starship or a starbase or something, it's not literally this scene from the show:

Since this is the SW thread can I ask a lore-related question? If Luke was in the rebel alliance led by Mon Mothma, and Mon was a senator during the last years of the Republic and probably knew, or heard about, Anakin, does she know, or guessed, that Luke was Anakin and Padmé's son, or at least his relative? Since they have the same name?

Apologies if this was addressed in some material but I didn't see anything on Wookiepedia about it.

5 hours ago, mormont said:

It's fun enough but like I said last week, you basically have to pretend it's extremely high budget fanfic, not canon at all. That's the only way to forgive its deficiencies.

Most religions take their texts less seriously than Star Wars fans do. :P

Anyways, I liked the episode, but it's not saving the weak parts of the show. This should have been a 3 hour movie broken up into four episodes. Same with BoBF. I don't know why they thought the filler was necessary.

Archived