US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

9 hours ago, mcbigski said:

I know we should never underestimate Joe's ability to fuck things up, but at some point, it's no longer just an accident.  We're ruled by people that want to eliminate or subjugate us.  Take away our fuel, bleed us for food costs, and take away our weapons.  It's not tyranny if it's for the common good perhaps.

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahha…

:gasp:

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhahaahhahahahahahahahhahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahhahhahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahhaahah…

On 6/13/2022 at 11:50 AM, polishgenius said:

Texas Police, doing all they can to alleviate suspicion that they didn't shoot some of the kids. 

I mean, if they shot kids and/or a teacher, it might explain why they were ordered to stand outside until someone else could come, I guess. I don't pretend doing the job of a cop is difficult, but it still has to be done right no matter how hard it is.

18 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I don't pretend doing the job of a cop is difficult, but it still has to be done right no matter how hard it is.

I suspect there might be a Freudian typo, or ran has stolen a not from your sentence, too. How many nots do you need, ran, how many?

29 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

I'd say conservatism in general has lost its mind, at least in the US and UK.

It has.  There are rational conservatives out there but their unwillingness to engage the QAnon caucus demonstrates their own cowardice and weakness.

11 hours ago, mcbigski said:

But again, weirdly, that Wednesday vote only happened primarily in states where Trump was leading Tuesday night, by close margins, with enough electoral votes.  That same magnitude shift didn't happen in states that Biden was leading Tuesday night, or in states that Trump was going to win outright.  Why is that, do you think?

Maybe just random happenstance. 

I can see why more people would vote this time around for the super talented and incorruptable senator from MBNA than for anyone else in history.  Who also promised to end fossil fuels, leading to enormous gas increases, inflation, unemployment, weakened national security, and soon to come food insecurity. Sounds like a popular platform to me.

I know we should never underestimate Joe's ability to fuck things up, but at some point, it's no longer just an accident.  We're ruled by people that want to eliminate or subjugate us.  Take away our fuel, bleed us for food costs, and take away our weapons.  It's not tyranny if it's for the common good perhaps.

It's called math, it can be hard for some 1+1 is a difficult equation obviously. 

Do you need help with the answer kiddo? @mcbigski

2 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

It's called math, it can be hard for some 1+1 is a difficult equation obviously. 

And that this was significant and covered in swing States with tight races is also completely unsurprising.  Numbers changing in States where the changes don’t matter are completely without note.

5 minutes ago, Reny of Storms End said:

Do you need help with the answer kiddo? @mcbigski

To me its like when a congressional vote map of the US is presented and there are pages upon pages of people who agree that it proves that 90% of the people voted for their candidate.  After all, look at that sea of red!  I think there is some trouble grasping how many people a million+ is, and that they could be living in an area of a decent sized farm.  I mean, they never ran into anyone who voted for the other candidate, and they have 10s upon 10s of people they see in a given month.

27 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

It has.  There are rational conservatives out there but their unwillingness to engage the QAnon caucus demonstrates their own cowardice and weakness.

I've been listening to The Bulwark podcast, and so I have heard from some rational conservatives. I certainly disagree with much of what I hear there, but I don't think it's bonkers. There's a long league between Reasonable Disagreement and Nuttery.

It is not true that the vote only went toward Biden.  Trump did better and better in Arizona as the later votes were counted.  It just wasn't enough to overcome Biden's lead. 

It is also true that these votes weren't coming out of nowhere.  People like Nate Cohn had a pretty good handle of how many votes were out in each state and an estimate of how they would vote as of like 1-2 am on election night.  Certainly by 9am the next morning we all had a pretty good picture of where things would end up, and that picture was mostly right. 

20 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

It is not true that the vote only went toward Biden.  Trump did better and better in Arizona as the later votes were counted.  It just wasn't enough to overcome Biden's lead. 

It is also true that these votes weren't coming out of nowhere.  People like Nate Cohn had a pretty good handle of how many votes were out in each state and an estimate of how they would vote as of like 1-2 am on election night.  Certainly by 9am the next morning we all had a pretty good picture of where things would end up, and that picture was mostly right. 

@mcbigski

Care to comment on this obvious refutation of your complaint about counting mail in ballots?

24 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Certainly by 9am the next morning we all had a pretty good picture of where things would end up, and that picture was mostly right. 

Yeah I believe it was about 7:50am eastern - shortly after one of Cohn's tweets showing his analysis - when I texted my mom saying it was clear Biden was gonna win and I was going to bed.

Another thing to recall is North Carolina initially looked really good for Biden then turned to Trump as the night wore on.  Why?  Because NC counted mail ballots first.  As opposed to, say, Pennsylvania, where mail ballots were counted last.

Again, yall are arguing in good faith with someone who genuinely believes masks don't work and big pharma is responsible for covid and only posts when drunk.

Most of the conservatives haven't gone bonkers, they've just discovered how they can get majorities... well, not majorities really, but enough votes to "win".

Per cnn, the Jan 6 committee has "invited" Ginni Thomas. I'm sure she'll happily oblige!

Also, the things you're arguing about are based on faith, not math. You're trying to convince zealots that their God doesn't exist. 

He is just proselytizing at this point, virtue signaling that he has the right thought patterns and expresses the right faith. You don't convince people like that with facts and data and explanations. To be fair, you don't do that for people in general, but especially not for people like this.

You either deprogram them or you ignore them or they kill you. 

18 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Again, yall are arguing in good faith with someone who genuinely believes masks don't work and big pharma is responsible for covid and only posts when drunk.

Republicans are so used to creating fake problems in order to push 'solutions' that align to their ideology that they assume everyone else is doing the same. They've warped* their own worldview to justify their actions such that they cannot even conceive of equity, fair justice, altruism, or, really, basic logic.

(MS-13/border issues to justify racist policies and police overreach, CRT to defund public school and ban progressive/POC/LGBTQ books)

Eta- *programmed - as Kal nicely put.

19 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I know, but it irks me to let obviously untrue bullshit go unanswered.  There could be lurkers on this forum who are more open to actual evidence based posts, and so I spent a couple of minutes on why that post is nonsense.

1 minute ago, Maithanet said:

I know, but it irks me to let obviously untrue bullshit go unanswered.  There could be lurkers on this forum who are more open to actual evidence based posts, and so I spent a couple of minutes on why that post is nonsense.

That's fair. Hell, do what you want - it's your own time. Tywin and DMC argue for days about whether a few means two or three, so do what you want. 

I'd recommend not tagging him and expecting some result back though. Chances are good he doesn't even remember posting it.

It's just not possible to claim in any way that the assault on the Capitol was spontaneous, or there was no danger planned for anyone.  For starters, buiilding the gallows was pre-planned and co-ordinated ahead of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/16/us/politics/jan-6-gallows.html?

Just for starters -- the materials:

WASHINGTON — Hours after President Donald J. Trump announced a “wild” rally in Washington on Jan. 6, 2021, his supporters began discussing building a gallows in front of the Capitol.

“Could be built very quickly with the right plan and the right people bringing pre-cut materials to the site!” a user wrote on a pro-Trump online forum. “Anybody got a blueprint for a standing gallows like that? Who’s with me?!”

Days later, a second user posted a diagram describing the cuts of lumber and rope that would be needed to erect a gallows and fashion a noose. A lengthy planning discussion ensued. A third posted a manual on how to tie a hangman’s knot. ....

This may be discuss

ed in today's hearings.

41 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Well the rest may be insane but the man deserves a drink.

20 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Tywin and DMC argue for days about whether a few means two or three, so do what you want. 

It obviously means three damnit!!!

Archived