US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

I was taken aback too, yesterday, when I saw what she said.  It made no frackin' sense, particularly in light of Anita Hill.

BTW -- the devil knows everybody by name too, according to the so-called xtians.

I mean, I'm pretty much used to Dem representatives praising Republicans, which is maddening enough, but a SCOTUS justice, at this point in time, about this justice... it's just maddening. But fear not, she also wrote in an op-ed that it might take 100 years, but the pendulum will swing back, or sth like that.

Another nice issue of the Five Minute News Sunday Show - my phrase of the day: institutional capture - about civil rights, accountability, and potential emigration to Canada:

https://fiveminute.news/video

Fight the good fight New Mexico!  Send those bastards to jail!

New Mexico secretary of state sues county commission over refusal to certify primary results - CNNPolitics

(CNN)New Mexico Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver on Tuesday asked the state Supreme Court to order a three-member county commission to certify the results of the June 7 primary elections in Otero County -- after commission members refused to do so this week, citing concerns about Dominion vote-counting machines.

The action by the Otero County Commission is one of the first examples of a county blocking the certification of results in the 2022 election cycle, and Oliver, a Democrat, warned of the potential for similar moves in other New Mexico communities.

15 hours ago, ThinkerX said:

stitched together video making the rounds on Facebook. Clips of Chuck Norris shooting a bolt action rifle atop a desert hill followed immediately afterward with clips of ordinary people shopping or walking along the street or whatever falling down. A large percentage of the commenters insist this is 'funny' - and get *really* ticked off when told otherwise.

God bless ‘merica!

The CSA rides again, and again, and again, and this time TX isn't about to let South Carolina get ahead them.

As Heather Cox Richards puts it all together in one bullet list, what their state Reichlican con has made as their platform, what they are running on;  it's in her subscriber letter:

Rejecting “the certified results of the 2020 Presidential election, and [holding] that acting President Joseph Robinette Biden Jr. was not legitimately elected by the people of the United States”

Requiring students “to learn about the dignity of the preborn human,” including that life begins at fertilization

Treating homosexuality as “an abnormal lifestyle choice”

Locking the number of Supreme Court justices at 9

Getting rid of the constitutional power to levy income taxes

Abolishing the Federal Reserve

Rejecting the Equal Rights Amendment

Returning Christianity to schools and government

Ending all gun safety measures

Abolishing the Department of Education

Arming teachers

Requiring colleges to teach “free-market liberty principles”

Defending capital punishment

Dictating the ways in which the events at the Alamo are remembered

Protecting Confederate monuments

Ending gay marriage

Withdrawing from the United Nations and the World Health Organization

Calling for a vote “for the people of Texas to determine whether or not the State of Texas should reassert its status as an independent nation.”

As usual, Cox Richardson’s whole article is worth reading, including some thoughts on Judge Michael Luttig’s testimony to the January 6 Committee.

I really don't see a problem, nor am surprised by, Sotomayor emphasizing comity among the justices - including Thomas.  Ginsburg talked about her friendship with Scalia all the time, didn't change anything and didn't hurt her legacy.  Well, that didn't her legacy.

now making the rounds of the conservative Facebook pages - mocking pics of Biden falling off a bicycle and eating ice cream. Bonus (didn't go looking for it) - Fake vid of Trump knocking Biden off the bike with a golf club.

57 minutes ago, Zorral said:

So ... the reichlican party in both TX and CO are planning to create state electoral colleges.

Makes a lot of sense actually. An electoral college is ideal if you hate democracy.
It's also a great way to go back to the 18th century asap.

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

So ... the reichlican party in both TX and CO are planning to create state electoral colleges.

Between booing Cornyn AND Cruz for not being fascist enough, harassing Dan Crenshaw with the assailants saying he should be hanged, and the absolutely batshit insane platform they advanced, the Texas Republican Party Convention might as well be the fucking Nuremberg Rallies.

Revolution eating its own, the spirits I called. And so on and so forth.

I have very little sympathy for Cruz and those other ass clowns. They entered that Faustian bargain on their own, now they are finally getting burned. I hope they go after the Murdochs, too. Would be quite a show, if that mob were to hang old Rupert on lamp post outside the Fox News Building. 

But that might just be me dreaming.

40 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

...  Rupert on lamp post ... just be me dreaming.

Dream on, dream on, dream on . . . . :cheers:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jan. 6 assault targeted, directed and controlled by Proud Boys.

https://www.nytimes.com/video/us/politics/100000008392796/rile-up-the-normies-how-proud-boys-breached-the-capitol.html?

Josh Marshall breaks down the NYT breakdown of the Proud Boys etc. direction. 

https://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/important-stuff-truly-must-see

.... The Proud Boys especially were basically directing the events.

The committee largely just asserted this. They had some details and I think a few maps. But mostly within the confines of a hearing they were just asserting it: this is what we learned from our investigation. Perhaps in a latter hearing they’ll go into more detail. Yesterday I noticed this video assembled by The New York Times. It’s really must see work. They pull together a trove of different videos, break them down to show the role of different Proud Boy leaders and soldiers and then weave these together with court documents from the on-going cases against the various insurrectionists. It tells the story above in powerful and convincing detail.

In fact, it shows an additional point I hadn’t understood. The mechanics of the breakthrough into the Capitol have been explained either as poor preparation by the Capitol Police or the individual heroism of Capitol Police officers. So it’s either a negligent failure or an heroic one. But this reconstruction of events shows something a bit different. At several points the attempted breakthroughs failed. The defenders were able to reinforce their positions, bring in more personnel in riot gear, etc. At those points, the Proud Boys leaders directing the assaults drew back from the attack points to where they could see the whole complex more clearly. They reevaluated and chose another entry point to attack. They then issued orders to had picked members of their team to refocus on other more vulnerable entry points. It’s very much a military operation.

The deeper into the video one gets, the more it emerges as pure medieval siege warfare against a fortress or city, with the commanders looking always for the weakest spots against which to launch the heaviest attacks -- attacks coordinated and directed.  It's an amazing feat of video documentation.

On 6/18/2022 at 3:09 PM, Wilbur said:

I don't understand this position adopted by the current iteration of the NRA / far-right loonies regarding red flag laws.

And this is why:

When I was a kid, the old boys who ran the shooting ranges and taught us firearm safety had my parents' permission to paddle me if I misbehaved in any way.  These old boys were all NRA members, and their primary mission was to smoke, tell lies about hunting trips, and teach us how to handle firearms.  To them, "misbehavior" was defined as handling any firearm in an unsafe manner.  Fart, swear, pick your nose - that was all frowned upon, but the only time I ever saw a kid get strapped was when he turned around with his .22 and had it pointed back toward the shooting line.  He got it from the range master, and then from his dad when his dad came by to pick him up.

And kids who goofed around on the range or failed to pay attention in the classes got kicked out to sit outside on a bench until their parents came to collect them.  Kids who got detention in school weren't allowed to come to sessions that week.  Kid who got sent to the principal for fighting weren't allowed to come to sessions that week.  Parents would withhold sessions for bad behavior at home.  I know, as these were all punishments I received, and no amount of pleading to go would move my folks or the old boys who ran the range.

The number one rule that was drilled into our tiny little minds, incessantly and with incredible consistency, was, "never point a firearm at something you don't want to kill."  The number two rule for us was, "don't gear up with your firearm unless you have a valid plan to go out and hunt."  (Poaching was a popular sport, which is the basis for the qualifier "valid", I think.)

Thus in general, the NRA guys as I knew them as a kid basically enforced a social version of red flag laws on kids.  And the one guy who I remember had been abusive to his wife - no one would hunt with him.

So to me, "red flag laws" are just formalizing and making legal the good sense that surrounds responsible firearm ownership.  If you aren't a responsible person, you don't deserve to handle and operate firearms.

Even today, the NRA's guidance on safety is clear:  3_rules_1 (nraonlinetraining.org)  Red flag laws seem to me to just be extensions of range safety, in that you don't permit unstable people to operate firearms, as they are unlikely to control themselves or their firearms.

So why the weird political rantings about red flag laws?  Where is this coming from?  I have a really hard time picturing in my mind the people who regularly use firearms as a tool (hunters, in my mental picture) spending a lot of time filming themselves harassing politicians at conventions.  Generally, they have better things to do.  So who does this Alex Stein guy represent, other than the mentally unbalanced?

Behind the Bastards just did a two part podcast episode on the man who changed the NRA from what you remember to what it is now. I believe Robert Evans (the host) said it started changing in the 60s, but I think it probably took some time for it to be recognizable. 

28 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I don't see how they can pass this in Colorado though. Ever since we made voting easy, the state has been overwhelmingly blue.

What the hell?  And the people of Texas and Colorado are just going to stand for that crap?

Archived