US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

1 minute ago, horangi said:

Well, no- I actually think this is a great example of elections have consequences.  It just expects people to have a longer term vision then what is in front of them today.  In this case the consequences are from the 1988 election, the 2004 election, and the 2016 election. 

Of course anyone who might need an abortion wasn't old enough to vote in 1988, and most of them couldn't vote in 2004 either. 

Just now, JoannaL said:

How will state-wide abortion laws even work? Can a court in Mississippi punish a woman for driving to California to have an abortion?

It is not clear.  But they're definitely going to try (Texas already has such a law I believe). 

The whole roe v Wade argument is to control women -- babies and 'life' are the canards used so that pieces of shit aren't so obviously pieces of shit.

2 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Of course anyone who might need an abortion wasn't old enough to vote in 1988, and most of them couldn't vote in 2004 either. 

Agreed, and that's kinda my point.  In a more enlightened world, I'd hope people would be voting less on how it impacts themselves personally and in the short term (like gas and food prices today), and more on how it impacts the polity 10, 20, 50+ years out.  The reality is that major changes in society occur at the generational level.  Vote for the world you want your grand-kids living in, for those are the ones who will really bare the brunt of your choice.   

2 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Would a Deep Red State legislature go so far as to pass a law imposing a death sentence on a woman who had an abortion?

Of course they would.

10 minutes ago, SeanF said:

Would a Deep Red State legislature go so far as to pass a law imposing a death sentence on a woman who had an abortion?

Banning abortion is imposing a death sentence on untold numbers of women, as already mentioned, those with lupus, ectopic pregnancies, many other conditions, including malnutrition, and diabetes, and so many other medical conditions.

Yep. There's like 26 states that have trigger laws. 

Jesus Christ, what a mess. Heart out to Americans, but that's a real shithole country you got there. 

edit: there aren't 26 states that have triggers laws, but that's likely how many states will move on it

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Banning abortion is imposing a death sentence on untold numbers of women, as already mentioned, those with lupus, ectopic pregnancies, many other conditions, including malnutrition, and diabetes, and so many other medical conditions.

The number of suicides will likely increase, too.

What an absolute disaster this ruling is. We knew it was coming but my heart breaks for women in America, who'll carry the consequences of this utterly inhuman decision. I wrote more there but I couldn't capture my feelings about this without listing a few dozen more adjectives.

I couldn't agree more that what this ruling will bring isn't life, but death. 

4 minutes ago, mormont said:

What an absolute disaster this ruling is. We knew it was coming but my heart breaks for women in America, who'll carry the consequences of this utterly inhuman decision. I wrote more there but I couldn't capture my feelings about this without listing a few dozen more adjectives.

I couldn't agree more that what this ruling will bring isn't life, but death. 

Susan Collins will probably be upping her security.

30 minutes ago, JoannaL said:

How will state-wide abortion laws even work? Can a court in Mississippi punish a woman for driving to California to have an abortion?

No.  Freedom of travel is supposed to be constitutionally protected.  This, I fear, will be tested.  :(

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  Freedom of travel is supposed to be constitutionally protected.  This, I fear, will be tested.  :(

Texas has fines/penalties to anyone who "assists" someone in getting an out of state abortion, which includes things like lending your car.  With AI advancements and cameras everywhere, it isn't that hard to identify if a woman is more than 20 weeks pregnant, even through her clothes.  And then if she suddenly isn't pregnant two weeks later, she can be dragged in and interrogated about her recent travels (or if she's been using the mail again).

If that doesn't sound like America, well, it is the America that Thomas and Barrett and Alito have in mind.  And their opinion on the matter is law. 

6 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

Texas has fines/penalties to anyone who "assists" someone in getting an out of state abortion, which includes things like lending your car.  With AI advancements and cameras everywhere, it isn't that hard to identify if a woman is more than 20 weeks pregnant, even through her clothes.  And then if she suddenly isn't pregnant two weeks later, she can be dragged in and interrogated about her recent travels (or if she's been using the mail again).

If that doesn't sound like America, well, it is the America that Thomas and Barrett and Alito have in mind.  And their opinion on the matter is law. 

So looking forward to Texas vs American Airlines, Texas vs Boeing. 

Giong back to that majority of white women voted for this nonsense. The majority of those white women were probably past child bearing age. 

Joe Manchin is 'alarmed', apparently.

'Alarmed' is when you remember you left the keys in the car, Joe. It scarcely covers a fuckup of this magnitude. 'Devastated'. 'Humiliated'. 'Horrified'. 'Crushed by the knowledge that I have destroyed countless lives'. Those would be more apt. 

Archived