US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

Just now, mormont said:

Joe Manchin is 'alarmed', apparently.

'Alarmed' is when you remember you left the keys in the car, Joe. It scarcely covers a fuckup of this magnitude. 'Devastated'. 'Humiliated'. 'Horrified'. 'Crushed by the knowledge that I have destroyed countless lives'. Those would be more apt. 

Probably just alarmed that he might have a tiny amount of the shit he deserves splash onto him

25 minutes ago, JGP said:

Yep. There's like 26 states that have trigger laws. 

Jesus Christ, what a mess. Heart out to Americans, but that's a real shithole country you got there. 

edit: there aren't 26 states that have triggers laws, but that's likely how many states will move on it

My brother and I were downtown when the news broke and we talked about that between the SCOTUS ruling on guns and the overturning of Roe we really don’t feel like ever setting foot in the US again. Fuck the people who need the tourist trade, those in the south likely voted for Trump.

My brother also said he recently heard an interview about a book or a study that he thought was called something like “The Kleptomania Economy”, I can’t find it, maybe some of you are familiar with it. The guy being interviewed said that after the Roe v Wade decision murders in the US dropped by 30%, because people didn’t murder inconvenient girlfriends and spouses and babies. He suggested that if Roe was overturned, Americans should expect about a 50% increase in the murder rate over the next couple of years.

Add that to all the women who will die from their forced pregnancies.

What a fucked up country the US is.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  Freedom of travel is supposed to be constitutionally protected.  This, I fear, will be tested.  :(

No.  Citizen vigilantes will turn in women for bounties, as TX and Missouri have already enacted.

1 minute ago, karaddin said:

Reading through the last few pages and what a fucking horrid few days. 

"Oh my God, look at how close we were to disaster for democracy."

"Oh my God, look at how these unelected justices undermine democracy and equal rights."

*We need to realize that we've only narrowly avoided some accelerants -- we're still backsliding at speed because of Democratic leaders' cowardice and laziness.

*Collectively, myself includes

58 minutes ago, horangi said:

Well, no- I actually think this is a great example of elections have consequences.  It just expects people to have a longer term vision then what is in front of them today.  In this case the consequences are from the 1988 election, the 2004 election, and the 2016 election. 

Just 2016; no need to go further back than that. 2016 was the endgame. If Clinton had won we'd have a 5-4 liberal court (with Kennedy still on the bench as one of four conservatives, so a 6-3 majority for civil rights) instead it's the 6-3 nightmare we have now.

22 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

No.  Freedom of travel is supposed to be constitutionally protected.  This, I fear, will be tested.  :(

Except that doesn't protect against committing a crime. If you travel across state lines in commission of a crime you can still get charged, and these states are making it a crime.

Decent chance this is all moot in 2025 or 2029 though, since there'll presumably be a national abortion ban as soon as Republicans have the trifecta again.

1 minute ago, Fez said:

Decent chance this is all moot in 2025 or 2029 though, since there'll presumably be a national abortion ban as soon as Republicans have the trifecta again.

Pence is already crowing about a national ban. 

6 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

My brother and I were downtown when the news broke and we talked about that between the SCOTUS ruling on guns and the overturning of Roe we really don’t feel like ever setting foot in the US again. Fuck the people who need the tourist trade, those in the south likely voted for Trump.

My brother also said he recently heard an interview about a book or a study that he thought was called something like “The Kleptomania Economy”, I can’t find it, maybe some of you are familiar with it. The guy being interviewed said that after the Roe v Wade decision murders in the US dropped by 30%, because people didn’t murder inconvenient girlfriends and spouses and babies. He suggested that if Roe was overturned, Americans should expect about a 50% increase in the murder rate over the next couple of years.

Add that to all the women who will die from their forced pregnancies.

What a fucked up country the US is.

Wasn't your sister-in-law determined to relocate to Texas or something - or different brother (I don't know your family (size)). 

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

Not exactly moot.  People will still travel to get abortions, they'll just be traveling to Canada.  And even more will be getting pills through the mail (although that will also be illegal). 

32 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I am more curious about how strong patient confidentiality is in the US...

1 minute ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Wasn't your sister-in-law determined to relocate to Texas or something - or different brother (I don't know your family (size)). 

Her closest friends. The wife lives in a mansion in a suburb while her husband has worked for Chrysler et al for more than 20 years as a design engineer, making staggering amounts of money. They believe Michigan is too liberal to live in and plan to retire to Texas.

2 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Her closest friends. The wife lives in a mansion in a suburb while her husband has worked for Chrysler et al for more than 20 years as a design engineer, making staggering amounts of money. They believe Michigan is too liberal to live in and plan to retire to Texas.

Ah, ok. So I remembered it wrong and your brother is no danger of being dragged to Texas. 

19 minutes ago, mormont said:

Joe Manchin is 'alarmed', apparently.

'Alarmed' is when you remember you left the keys in the car, Joe. It scarcely covers a fuckup of this magnitude. 'Devastated'. 'Humiliated'. 'Horrified'. 'Crushed by the knowledge that I have destroyed countless lives'. Those would be more apt. 

And on that note, let’s see if the filibuster survives this. Before it was all theoretical. Now the rubber has hit the road.

14 minutes ago, Fez said:

with Kennedy still on the bench as one of four conservatives, so a 6-3 majority for civil rights

Replace "civil rights" with "privacy rights."  Kennedy voted with the majority in Shelby.

Susan Collins is dismayed at being duped:

“This decision is inconsistent with what Justices Gorsuch and Kavanaugh said in their testimony and their meetings with me, where they both were insistent on the importance of supporting long-standing precedents that the country has relied upon,” Collins said.

Archived