US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

10 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

Next headlines I expect to see:

”Canadian Immigration website crashes after millions of searches overwhelm federal servers”

And

”Record number of immigration applications  received from Americans”

Long-term, an effectively christian-right wing state with authoritarian tendencies is going to be a danger to Canada in a warming future. The US is going to an even bigger unavoidable problem to it's neighbors than it currently is.

3 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Susan Collins is dismayed at being duped:

She's also dismayed at chalk writing on the sidewalk. It's disingenuous or early onset.

4 minutes ago, Week said:

Long-term, an effectively christian-right wing state with authoritarian tendencies is going to be a danger to Canada in a warming future. The US is going to an even bigger unavoidable problem to it's neighbors than it currently is.

Like Ty always jokes. “We’re coming for your water!”

9 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Susan Collins is dismayed at being duped:

I can't even figure out who is the intended audience of this very unconvincing theatre

1 minute ago, Fragile Bird said:

Sadly, it won't be a joke -- especially with the drought in the south west and west. We're more likely to invade Canada (already sucked Mexico'a rivers dry in many places) and figure out a way to steal/pipe water rather than move or *gasp* reduce use.

7 minutes ago, Fragile Bird said:

I'd say we're coming for your democracy.  Just like Russia doesn't want a successful Ukraine making them look bad, when the US goes full authoritarian, they aren't going to want Canada to continue to have nice things like civil rights and meaningful democracy.  The CIA has plenty of practice with this sort of thing. 

7 minutes ago, DMC said:

Turns out that bridge in Brooklyn wasn't really for sale either.

But a lovely mansion in Washington, on Pennsylvania avenue is. So if you have Collins number, tell her to give Real 100% no scam tor a call. Also our Indian colleague informed us that there's a virus on her computer.

3 minutes ago, Maithanet said:

I'd say we're coming for your democracy.  Just like Russia doesn't want a successful Ukraine making them look bad, when the US goes full authoritarian, they aren't going to want Canada to continue to have nice things like civil rights and meaningful democracy.  The CIA has plenty of practice with this sort of this. 

And Canadians know this. Wasn’t it just a couple of threads ago when someone posted a news story about the Canadian government developing secret plans in case a US government plans a nasty surprise?

7 minutes ago, karaddin said:

I can't even figure out who is the intended audience of this very unconvincing theatre

The significant amount of Maine voters that voted for both her and Biden in 2020.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

The significant amount of Maine voters that voted for both her and Biden in 2020.

I know you're right, I just can't get past it being pointless. Anyone that's going to swallow this horse shit doesn't actually need it - they'll rationalise it all away on their own anyway

4 minutes ago, Fez said:

I suspect the US cracks up and dissolves before it becomes a direct threat to Canada. 

Could you tell me more about this scenario?  We can use PMs if you'd prefer.  Because I do feel like the US going full authoritarian feels almost certain, and I would be interested to hear how you think this alternative breakup scenario would play out. 

Just now, karaddin said:

Anyone that's going to swallow this horse shit doesn't actually need it - they'll rationalise it all away on their own anyway

Probably yeah, but it's not surprising as a politician she responded how she did.

I have never forgotten when tfg was a candidate and when asked about women who had an abortion, he answered that they "should be punished."  Now he has his wish.  Yes, I'm now a 2nd class citizen in a shithole country.

1 hour ago, mormont said:

Joe Manchin is 'alarmed', apparently.

'Alarmed' is when you remember you left the keys in the car, Joe. It scarcely covers a fuckup of this magnitude. 'Devastated'. 'Humiliated'. 'Horrified'. 'Crushed by the knowledge that I have destroyed countless lives'. Those would be more apt. 

Considering that 58% of voters in West Virginia think abortion should be illegal in all or most cases (only Arkansas at 60% is higher), Manchin probably thinks saying he's "alarmed" is going out on a limb with his voters. 

https://www.pewresearch.org/religion/religious-landscape-study/compare/views-about-abortion/by/state/

Archived