US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

17 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

And because of SCOTUS they will have the ability to block any laws (including, amusingly to me, the new senate gun law that just is passing) that might threaten them.

I don't see Roberts and Kavanaugh striking down most provisions in the bill.  Maybe the red flag measures.

34 minutes ago, LongRider said:

If that were to happen J6 would look like normal political discourse.  OK, bad analogy, but how could it not start a shooting war?

I didn't endorse it as a viable solution, merely pointed out, 2016 has done long term damage, which will impact the US for two generations, maybe more. And the Supreme Court Mullahs are not done yet.

3 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

Fez, I appreciate you man. I do. 

But even that modest projection of people being able to examine their circumstances and identify accurately some of the causes is just hopelessly naive. As long as there's an other to blame you don't HAVE to look around yourself critically. That's the entire point of the other. And we, my friend, we're the other. If people get guns and march it ain't gonna be against the Rs

I'm hardly being naive. Naivety is the learned helplessness that things must continue down their current track because they have up until now. There has never been a shock to the system like this, never before a major right been repealed like this (alcohol prohibition was a very different situation). The 1/6 coup attempt would've been as well if it succeeded, but it didn't so it could be ignored.

We are in actual unprecedented times, and any further shocks, like a not-free federal election, will only further stress things. I don't know for sure what happens next. But the idea that all our institutions hold firm, simply co-opted by authoritarians, seems like a very unsure thing to me.

My sweet summer child. You vastly overrate the American attention span; there's a new Bad Batch or something coming. 

And I'll say again, Trump ain't gonna have to steal nothing in two years. If Democrats want to be anything other than donor siphons they need to entreat Chinese interference on our behalf, but that would require doing something and Democrats don't do anything. If you think this has a happy or inspiring ending you haven't been paying attention. 

Fatalism requires no effort. It's lazy and, in some ways, selfish. That being said I have very little hope for the future but I think the hopeful voices should be lifted up, not beaten down. 

26 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Not gonna say that second amendment enthusiast wanting to visit Kavanaugh had the right idea, but that's like the only other venue to change the SCOTUS composition.

Who was it just yesterday insisting I was way over reacting to what yesterday's scotus decision was?

2 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Who was it just yesterday insisting I was way over reacting to what yesterday's scotus decision was?

I was! And you were! Requiring money going to private religious schools when you're also giving it to private non-religious schools is not actually that big of a deal!

34 minutes ago, Relic said:

Fatalism requires no effort. It's lazy and, in some ways, selfish. That being said I have very little hope for the future but I think the hopeful voices should be lifted up, not beaten down. 

I'd also add that while I don't agree with everything he's said (and frankly have only really skimmed because I'm not interested in the argument), when it comes to US politics Fez is one of the least naive - as well as most well-informed - posters on this board.

9 minutes ago, Relic said:

I see very little that speaks well going forward. But hope is weird, and it's generational for me now. So is sorrow though, guilt, anger pulsing in my fucking ears. Like willow always said, and hopefully still does, what's it going to take?   

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

I was speaking of the over rule of opening carrying arms in public places in NY, o foolish one.

Sorry, you've overreacted so much it's hard to keep track

13 minutes ago, Relic said:

Quite a pickle we're in where "total breakdown of current society" is the hopeful outcome.

17 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

I was! And you were! Requiring money going to private religious schools when you're also giving it to private non-religious schools is not actually that big of a deal!

Key word is yet. All a red state has to do is pass a law assisting parents who want to send their children to private schools who can't reasonably afford it, with the reasonable part being left vague. That's a pretty easy way to defund public schools while flooding private religious schools with money.

12 minutes ago, Fez said:

Quite a pickle we're in where "total breakdown of current society" is the hopeful outcome.

And that's before you consider the future impacts of climate change! Bleak road ahead even with the most optimistic view.

Yeah the US is a sh*t show, Biden is pretty ineffectual, polarization is tearing this country apart and the Supreme Court is accelerating the decline of this nation into third world status.

Anyway, regarding Dick sporting good's decision, many corporations are attempting to do something similar (including my own). Abortion is a procedure covered by many insurance policies and its quite a conundrum as to how they can make access equitable to all employees.

Archived