US Politics: Elections, Defections, Insurrections, Oh My!

Durckad

3 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What the hell?  And the people of Texas and Colorado are just going to stand for that crap?

The republicans in Texas, and any currently solid red state absolutely.

because they in general  don’t like democracy and are fanatics for their culture war grievances.

5 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

the people of Texas and Colorado are just going to stand for that crap?

How can you still be surprised and incredulous about anything They say and do?   They don't ever stop and won't until the planet is a smoking ruin.

31 minutes ago, Zorral said:

How can you still be surprised and incredulous about anything They say and do?   They don't ever stop and won't until the planet is a smoking ruin.

Right. We are dealing with people espousing obvious fascist views. Take them at their word or live to regret it. 

Here we go. A republican candidate has issued 'hunting licenses' for 'RINO's.' Might be interesting if when/somebody actually bags such a critter...

Eric Greitens Tells Supporters To Hunt Political Opponents In New Ad (msn.com)

Eric Greitens, the disgraced former governor of Missouri seeking political redemption in a MAGA-fied U.S. Senate bid, released a campaign ad Monday advertising a “hunting permit” for his political opponents — so-called “RINOs,” or “Republicans in Name Only.” 

A campaign ad for Greitens’ new political assassination campaign opens with Greitens holding a shotgun and strolling past a mailbox labeled “The RINO’s Den.” 

“I’m Eric Greitens, Navy SEAL, and today we’re going RINO hunting,” Greitens says in the ad — though he’s not actually a SEAL anymore

The ad then pans to Greitens joining several men with military fatigues on the front porch of a house. One of them uses a battering ram to knock down the door, followed by the deployment of a flash-bang grenade.

Greitens and his anonymized military stand-ins enter the house with guns drawn, though the dwelling is apparently abandoned, allowing the disgraced former governor to deliver the latest fundraising pitch for his campaign: a hunting permit!

“The RINO feeds on corruption and is marked with the stripes of cowardice,” Greitens says in the ad. “Join the MAGA crew. Get a RINO hunting permit. There’s no bagging limit, no tagging limit, and it doesn’t

19 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

What the hell?  And the people of Texas and Colorado are just going to stand for that crap?

Lol, that we made voting easy? I can tell you, there are people in rural Colorado who are fucking pissed about it. We have one of the highest voting rates in the country, and my college students--freshmen through senior--are heavily invested in getting their ballots mailed out or making announcements in class where (and how) ballots can be dropped off if you missed the mail in date.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

The Texas State Police are not happy with the Uvalde Police:

I mean, that's what everyone in this thread has been saying while some vocal media figures wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. As I (and many others here) said back when it happened: the Uvalde police response is antithetical (I believe we even used that word) to how school shooting strategies have been dealt with since Columbine. Whatever happened in Uvalde is certainly being covered up, and I wonder where our truth warriors like Alex Jones are. Shouldn't they be on this? Uncovering the truth, as they say? 

8 minutes ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I mean, that's what everyone in this thread has been saying while some vocal media figures wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt. As I (and many others here) said back when it happened: the Uvalde police response is antithetical (I believe we even used that word) to how school shooting strategies have been dealt with since Columbine. Whatever happened in Uvalde is certainly being covered up, and I wonder where our truth warriors like Alex Jones are. Shouldn't they be on this? Uncovering the truth, as they say? 

I think the grieving families can do without getting called crisis actors by Jones. I think he is atm busy trying to find money for the Sandy Hook families who sued him.

20 hours ago, Centrist Simon Steele said:

I don't see how they can pass this in Colorado though. Ever since we made voting easy, the state has been overwhelmingly blue.

Yeah I feel like it should be mentioned that most aspects of state party platforms - just like national party platforms, rarely come to fruition.  At least in terms of uncompromised legislation. 

Woo, today's hearing testimonies were powerful with, at least for me, enormous impact.  Throughout -- well, as I have before, and do constantly, what we are getting in these hearings is pure preview of the world They will have us all living in.  Well, we already are living in it, and it is horrible. The sheer terror projected by the young woman, Wandrea ArShaye “Shaye” Moss, Georgian electoral worker, even before she was even able to make herself speak, tells us that.

Otherwise though -- I don't know about the rest of you who frequent This Space, but hearing AZ  Rusty Bowers insist his belief is that the Constitution is divinely inspired, is chilling, despite his refusal to roll over as demanded.

SCOTUS says today that people can run around NYC opening carrying guns.  This is contradicts state law, as does my tax money going to religious schools.

This nation is just effed.  These reichlican heroes (not the election worker or her mother from Georgia), with their divine inspirations also states they WANTED rumpista to win, presumably to get rid of immigrants and put all others than they the WHITE XTIAN MALES in their lower place for once and for all.  That's what They all were running on.  And suddenly, now? this was a step too far.

I admit I have an impossible time wrapping my brain around this --  other than believing they were rather terrified They might be left holding the bag, the way Their leader always leaves his minions holding the bag(s), in case this didn't work, and DOJ went to work (which it won't, probably, not now).

Of course, they quickly saw the leopards coming for their own faces, or were smart enough to figure out this is inevitable in the long run, since They know what the sorts with which They have been consorting for so long, are.

So the legislation is out for the bipartisan gun violence bill and it looks like it may get a procedural vote tonight. Haven't seen much with regards to details, but from what I have it sounds like Republicans made this as skinny as possible. I guess if you throw a cup of water at a burning house you can say you did something...

Today's hearing testimonials were chilling. Adam Schiff has been a beacon for trying to hold Trump accountable for years now. We cannot have too many correct thinking Democrats like him.

We need an Attorney General that is correctly motivated this way. One that pursues and prosecutes ALL the criminals in the former administration, not just the citizen rioters, but also the traitorous architect's and leaders of the Capitol attack and attempted election theft.

STOP PROTECTING the former President Merrik!

I just read a short article on Grid...and another article about Grid itself that was maybe/maybe not odd...that was asserting the 'impossible choice' Merrick Garland has to make as far as indicting Dump or not, depending on how much evidence piles up. It used the term 'bringing the country together' a few times and it seemed by that to mean not to disturb the righties too much.

The idea that indicting a former president will cause problems in the future seems to be the crux of many arguments. The unfortunate truth is that, yes, it WILL cause problems in the future but we should still do it. The root of the problem is a president/administration that is criminal NOT that they should be held accountable. The fact that holding said administration accountable will undoubtedly cause problems in future is a great example of why we can't let this shit pass. We need to accept that climbing out of the deep hole we have dug for ourselves, in this context and others, is not going to be without trauma. It's the 'too big to fail' security blanket that has us all wringing our hands and shaking our heads and letting these scumbags do whatever they want.  

Of course Dump will not be indicted, though. The Democrats are interested in appearing as though they give a shit but it's unlikely they actually do. The Republicans don't even have to fake it. So, I would like a moratorium placed on grandiose proclamations that the law applies to everyone.

TX has determined who the fall guy is for the massive policing failure that was the Robb Elementary School Massacre -- note it's only one guy: "...the school district’s police chief, Pedro “Pete” Arredondo."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2022/06/21/uvalde-shooting-police-response-rifles-hearing/

“The only thing stopping a hallway of dedicated officers from entering Room 111 and 112 was the on-scene commander, who decided to place the lives of officers before the lives of children,” McCraw said. “The officers had weapons; the children had none. The officers had body armor; the children had none. The officers had training; the subject had none.”

.... Arredondo has disputed McCraw’s account, telling the Texas Tribune that he did not consider himself the scene’s commander and that the classroom door was locked. He has not responded to multiple interview requests from The Washington Post, and neither Arredondo nor his lawyer, George E. Hyde, responded to calls and text messages seeking comment Tuesday.

McCraw’s testimony coincided with Arredondo’s own on the other side of the building. While McCraw spoke before cameras in a public setting, Arredondo was testifying behind closed doors with a three-person state House of Representatives investigative committee. ...

.... Arredondo’s absence on Tuesday before the Senate committee did not go unnoticed. Sen. Paul Bettencourt (R) issued a blunt challenge to Arredondo to testify in public, saying the police chief had chosen instead to “hide” by speaking behind closed doors to another committee. In Uvalde, there is mounting anger toward the school police chief — with many parents and community members calling for him to be held accountable. ...

Of course "Few minutes of the hearing were dedicated to the state laws that permitted the shooter to obtain the assault-style weapons used to slaughter children. The committee debated doors, locks, police protocols, mental health, prayer in schools and facility hardening — but gun control was given scant attention."

Yes Arredondo is responsible, but so are dozens and hundreds of others, as well as other deeply rooted causes including a suggestion, as a WaPo commentator points out, too damned many police departments and agencies. There were six -- 6 -- different varieties of police agencies at the scene.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2022/06/21/uvalde-shooting-too-many-police-departments/

.... All were waiting for the word “go” from a person they knew to be in charge.

These failures all stem from the same root cause: America has far too many police departments.

By piecing together various accounts, we conclude that officers were quickly on the scene from at least four agencies: the Uvalde school district police, the Uvalde city police, the Uvalde county sheriff and — eventually — the U.S. Border Patrol. Texas Rangers arrived at some point, as did the FBI. That’s six agencies in a city of about 16,000 people. ....

53 minutes ago, Zorral said:

The committee debated .... prayer in schools.....  but gun control was given scant attention."

"Pray the gun away."  Yeah, that will work.     

NOT.

Archived