International Events IX: I feel like a mushroom

Which Tyler

3 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Fascists do indeed like fascists.  Until they get jealous of each other anyway, and until they compete for precedence.

Zorral -- she's not a fascist -- she's Italian!

20 minutes ago, Zorral said:

“You know the world is going crazy when the best rapper is a white guy, the best golfer is a black guy, the tallest guy in the NBA is Chinese, the Swiss hold the America's Cup, France is accusing the U.S. of arrogance, Germany doesn't want to go to war, and the three most powerful men in America are named "Bush", "Dick", and "Colin."" -- Chris Rock, circa early- to mid-2000s.

3 hours ago, DMC said:

Well, by literally every possible metric the Green Movement was more widespread and sustained - by far - at least at this point.  Even the 2017-18 protests appear more widespread thus far.  I also don't know what you mean that these protests "checked boxes" those two didn't.  The interesting thing about these protests is they appear to be catalyzed by women - which is certainly new - but hardly reflects any relationship to 1979.

Thanks.  I have read a bit about the latest protests but not much about how they compare to previous protests (partly because its another depressing subject).

22 minutes ago, Padraig said:

partly because its another depressing subject

It is indeed quite depressing.  I meant to mention that - what's particularly depressing is how little attention is being paid to this, at least in western outlets.  There definitely seems to be a feeling of desensitization in terms of all the depressing things that are going on throughout the world these days.

4 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

NPR just reported that the leak from the pipeline is due to the pipeline remaining “pressurized” even though the taps for both pipelines are closed.  It will take several days for the existing gas from the pipelines to flow out.

Price of a gallon of gas in my little slice of California paradise went up $0.30 a gallon yesterday.  It has been rising daily for the past week.  I talked to the man running the registrar when I bought gas this afternoon, he said his margin of profit had dropped to one cent on each sale, and the store only brought in $15.30 net on gas yesterday.  He mentioned something about a pipeline and some issue in a refinery in the Bay Area.  $6.39 is what I paid; glad I'm not commuting anymore.

6 hours ago, LongRider said:

Price of a gallon of gas in my little slice of California paradise went up $0.30 a gallon yesterday.  It has been rising daily for the past week.  I talked to the man running the registrar when I bought gas this afternoon, he said his margin of profit had dropped to one cent on each sale, and the store only brought in $15.30 net on gas yesterday.  He mentioned something about a pipeline and some issue in a refinery in the Bay Area.  $6.39 is what I paid; glad I'm not commuting anymore.

So that's $1.40.5 per litre
Anyone else rather jealous of that price tag?

For context, before the pound crashed over the weekend, it was about £1.75 per litre here (having just fallen from about £1.90) - so about $2.00 falling from $2.20; or about $2.50 in the heady days of Boris Johnson's strong, stable and sensible leadership. ($2/l <=> $9/g)

1 hour ago, Which Tyler said:

So that's $1.40.5 per litre
Anyone else rather jealous of that price tag?

For context, before the pound crashed over the weekend, it was about £1.75 per litre here (having just fallen from about £1.90) - so about $2.00 falling from $2.20; or about $2.50 in the heady days of Boris Johnson's strong, stable and sensible leadership. ($2/l <=> $9/g)

I think you have used the wrong gallons. That's why we have the metric system. Everybody had their own versions of the old units. With 1 gallon =3.785 litres, it's $1.69 /l. And probably not nearly as heavily taxed, if at all. 

10 minutes ago, Loge said:

I think you have used the wrong gallons. That's why we have the metric system. Everybody had their own versions of the old units. With 1 gallon =3.785 litres, it's $1.69 /l. And probably not nearly as heavily taxed, if at all. 

Very easily possible - I used what Google told me US gallons were (4.546 l) They may very easily have got confused with me being in the UK and given me UK gallons anyway - wouldn't have a clue; I've never used gallons for anything in my life (despite being the same age as Rees-Mogg who thinks everyone still uses gallons)

Archived