International Events IX: I feel like a mushroom

Which Tyler

But it is an international event!  Which is the only reason I noticed.  Otherwise, sports? (unless they have animals in them, preferably horses) I wouldn't know. :lol:

But sports are an international corruption, like Putin and romperdoody -- anything they touch goes toxic, corrupt and evil.

2 hours ago, Maltaran said:

1950, but they withdrew allegedly because FIFA banned them from playing barefoot

Maltaran -- curious, if true; but, reasonable, if my musings here are accurate. Although there was a claim India's withdrawal was due to financial weakness, funding was offered from FIFA. I suspect it was a matter of funding and training (i.e., the Indian team wasn't used to playing with footwear while training (lack of funding), and would have been that much more disadvantaged if used during competition (lack of training). In other words, they were unable to train as one fights; or, more precisely, fight as one trained). Alternatively, and more likely, the Indian team just wasn't adequately competitive (outside of Asia).

For example, imagine being a relatively small and undernourished South Vietnamese regular, suddenly burdened with US equipment and impeded by corresponding doctrine (et al.); then, in consequence, failing to preserve their country. In hindsight, of course, the southern Vietnamese probably should have declined US support..

[Before anyone unfairly attacks me over a misunderstanding, note that I'm not hostile against Asians. I was born in Asia; spent much of my youth and professional life there; and, I'm as much an Asian-American as Elon is an African-American.]

10 minutes ago, Zorral said:

But it is an international event!  Which is the only reason I noticed.  Otherwise, sports? (unless they have animals in them, preferably horses) I wouldn't know. :lol:

I agree with Zorral -- the context of Indian soccer re socioeconomic allows it. More importantly, Ran hasn't deleted the relevant posts.

11 hours ago, Maltaran said:

1950, but they withdrew allegedly because FIFA banned them from playing barefoot

Indian sport teams around this era (30s to 60s) were formidable, just look at their sheer dominance in Olympics Hockey, even their pale shadow now is tough to beat.

7 hours ago, Zorral said:

Equestrians...you have a serious horse fetish, like from sports to movies, Anna Sewell.

India has some great footballers, capt Sunil Chhetri is only behind Messi (86 goals in 162 appearances) and Ronaldo (117 goals in 189 appearances) in the list for players with most goals for their national team among active players.

Appearance(s)    Goal(s)
Total    129    84

But you know, since Kapil Dev's men lifted the cricket world cup in '83 as underdogs against W.Indies in that hard to believe final, India has been and still is in the grasp of cricket frenzy. It gets the whole pie in funding (Dhoni's boys in 2011 won the WC again) leaving nothing but crumbs for the rest. IPL's a cash cow for the BCCI and ICC too in a way. The last Birmingham commonwealth games saw India's best ever performance at a major tournament. One thing to be said for the right wing fanatics in power, they aren't as corrupt as the previous govt was.

The conspiracy theorist in me still believes that they allowed India to win the '83 cup to open up a vast market of advertisement endorsement, merchandise, goods, equipment etc. Coinciding with the 1991 liberalization, it also had the added plus of pushing down performance in other sports. India is now undoubtedly an emperor in cricket but for a country with 1.3 billion people woefully short in other sports.

Boots or barefoot, in '50 India would have won the title if it wasn't for stupid regulations. 

12 hours ago, TheLastWolf said:

you have a serious horse fetish, like from sports to movies, Anna Sewell.

Not a fetish, you pervert! An adoration for the beautiful, the swift and the strong.  :rofl:

Plus, you know, believing I was going to grow up to be a horse (as opposed to the horse's ass some might think I did).  A not uncommon delusion.  But very different from those who are owned by, say, cats,  :unsure: though, cats are indeed worthy objects of veneration.  Dogs, well, they too have their use.

21 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Not a fetish, you pervert! An adoration for the beautiful, the swift and the strong.  :rofl:

Plus, you know, believing I was going to grow up to be a horse (as opposed to the horse's ass some might think I did).  A not uncommon delusion.  But very different from those who are owned by, say, cats,  :unsure: though, cats are indeed worthy objects of veneration.  Dogs, well, they too have their use.

So glad you didn'T end up as a horsish Rachel Dolezal.

On 8/22/2022 at 8:03 PM, The Anti-Targ said:

if Muhammad hadn't provoked the religious establishment that held sway over the Arabian peninsula back in the 7th century Islam would not exist today. If Jesus hadn't provoked the religious establishment in His time there'd be no Christianity. 

This is the dream, the World would be such a superior place were it only so 

10 hours ago, Zorral said:

Well, I'm 18, I tend to use words like that you know...

Plus, you know, believing I was going to grow up to be a horse (as opposed to the horse's ass some might think I did).  A not uncommon delusion.  But very different from those who are owned by, say, cats,  :unsure: though, cats are indeed worthy objects of veneration.

*Slow nod*

Dogs, well, they too have their use.

I'm both a cat and dog person so I'll let this one slide.

See Idris Elba's new film -- though order of panthera, not felis catus, the lion was trying to bring down the earth's carbon footprint! OTOH, felis catus owns the internezzes.

(I also am a dog person, though not as much as a cat person, probably. Generally speaking, ya, I'm an 'animal' person -- also birds and trees and flowers and water, and even good agricultural land. Ha!)

16 hours ago, Zorral said:

See Idris Elba's new film -- though order of panthera, not felis catus, the lion was trying to bring down the earth's carbon footprint! OTOH, felis catus owns the internezzes.

(I also am a dog person, though not as much as a cat person, probably. Generally speaking, ya, I'm an 'animal' person -- also birds and trees and flowers and water, and even good agricultural land. Ha!)

Is it as bad as it looks in the trailer?

22 hours ago, The Anti-Targ said:

@Wade1865 Cricket is no laughing matter on the sub-continent.

I'm wouldn't want to argue with you or @TheLastWolf, because you are most likely accurately describing reality. But everyone who compares a devastating flood with a lost game in sports needs to get their head examined. 

Archived