What’s a popular theory you fervently hope doesn’t come true?

Canon Claude

16 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

So glad that someone said it. Tyrion being a secret Targaryen who gets to fly a dragon? Utter doss. I don't know why everyone is so eager to have that happen, it would completely undo everything that's been established about Tyrion and Tywin's relationship.

I can't speak for everyone, but Dany, Jon and Tyrion spend the whole story getting beaten over the head with their fathers' legacies. Their characters are all shaped by other peoples' opinions of who and what they should be and become growing up in Aerys', Ned and Tywin's shadows. I think it would be a little bit of irony for each of them that the legacy that they were trying so hard to either emulate or escape wasn't actually for them anyway.

I also think the whole salt and smoke thing is as likely to be about an obscured heritage as about a place and though I'm not sure there will be a definitive AA reborn, I think we'll continue to be teased with the possibility.

Anyway, not to launch into a whole defense here, but those are some of the reasons why I think Tyrion isn't Tywin's.

3 minutes ago, sifth said:

Victarion's entire mission is just to die and get killed in Essos. I hate pointless stories that go nowhere. Quentyn Martell's was bad enough, I hope we don't get a second one.

To be honest, there's nowhere else to go with Victarion. Personally, I don't mind him going to Essos and dying there, but I hate that he has to be a POV character for it. It just takes up valuable page space.

2 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

To be honest, there's nowhere else to go with Victarion. Personally, I don't mind him going to Essos and dying there, but I hate that he has to be a POV character for it. It just takes up valuable page space.

The guy is a comedy factory though. I hate stories that go nowhere.

23 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Reading today that HBO is making a Jon Snow spinoff... Stay fucking dead, Jon.

Unless he gets resurrected and comes back wrong, as GRRM likes to do since he doesn't like Gandalf coming back (he also forgets that Gandalf runs on a different set of rules).

47 minutes ago, sifth said:

The guy is a comedy factory though. I hate stories that go nowhere.

I hope that when the story's been told Vic's chapters are obviously intrinsically relevant. Like you say he's a comedy factory and his last chapter is one of my favorites in the whole series.  I would be very disappointed to find out that it was all meaningless meandering.

48 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Unless he gets resurrected and comes back wrong, as GRRM likes to do since he doesn't like Gandalf coming back (he also forgets that Gandalf runs on a different set of rules).

I haven't been a fan of theories that bring Jon back as some sort of NK or any sort of bad guy that betrays who he was in his life, until now.  I hope Martin makes him as awful as the stark haters on this site make him out to be just to shit all over that sequel. 

Love how much we love to cancel certain popular theories only because we think it would ruin the story for us, altough we have approximately no clue on the execution of these supposed plotlines. I'm more than sure not everyone will be satisfied with any ending, if there'll be any, but I think having an open mind to anything is the best attitude. That being said, I'd hate if Tyrion was a secret Targ. I see it happening, I don't like it. Would it ruin the story for me? No, the one thing I've learned regarding ASOIAF is that the story reaches further than any character, even the most popular and important ones.

20 hours ago, frenin said:

I want Euron to be the biggest troll out there and a fucking liar. I dislike so much all the theories surrounding him.

An evil man who knows some magic, who’s persuaded himself that he’s an eldritch god.

15 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Love how much we love to cancel certain popular theories only because we think it would ruin the story for us, altough we have approximately no clue on the execution of these supposed plotlines. I'm more than sure not everyone will be satisfied with any ending, if there'll be any, but I think having an open mind to anything is the best attitude. That being said, I'd hate if Tyrion was a secret Targ. I see it happening, I don't like it. Would it ruin the story for me? No, the one thing I've learned regarding ASOIAF is that the story reaches further than any character, even the most popular and important ones.

Yeah, I see what you mean. There's really no subversive outcome to ASOIAF that would ruin the series for me, other than a character waking up to find the whole series was just a weird fever dream.

generally, I wouldn't hate any theory specifically if it's well written . but right now I'd be happy only to see the series finished , no matter how many odd plotlines and stupid conclusions it's got.

On 6/18/2022 at 1:05 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Dany's admiral has lost his head just as Vic arrives, he'll lead her fleet back to Westeros in the least, and is a prime candidate for a second life when he does die.

One thing I would dislike is if Tyrion turned out to be half Targ. It would ruin the irony of Tywin hating the child who was in many ways the most like his father.

Other than that, I do not really hate any theory as long as it fits into the story and is well written. 

EDIT: R+L =J would be pretty boring. I know it is true, but imo there are more interesting theories about R+L out there. 

Archived