What’s a popular theory you fervently hope doesn’t come true?

Canon Claude

3 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Not necesarilly. Well, Rhaegar was, but we don't know much about Rhaella. But surely that's no reason enough.

Add in that Martin loves to come up with things that make readers want to throw up.

On 7/1/2022 at 12:21 PM, sifth said:

I also am not a huge fan of the Jojen paste theory. It seems like a complete waste for his character.

That is the character though, from the ground up. What do you get if you give a child visions of their inescapable fate, leaving them in the complete belief that they will be sacrificed at a young age and that their sacrifice is necessary to save the world?

You get Jojen. Solemn, melancholy, wise beyond their years but with a profound sadness. Someone who reads because they know their life time is short and

"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies," said Jojen.

He serves an overall narrative purpose. Jojen's circumstances are that of Rhaegar. Rhaegar understood that TPTWP is to be a sacrifice. And Rhaegar thought it was him.

It was a prince that was promised, not a princess. Rhaegar, I thought . . . the smoke was from the fire that devoured Summerhall on the day of his birth, the salt from the tears shed for those who died. He shared my belief when he was young,

Rhaegar and Jojen have these mirror character traits because they're subject to the same circumstances, they both believed their deaths were foretold, inescapable and necessary to save the world. Jojen is a clue to figuring out Rhaegar, and as it seems inevitable Bran will bring us the Rhaega/Lyanna saga through visions, there's every possibility Bran will make direct comparisons between the two in the text.

1 hour ago, chrisdaw said:

That is the character though, from the ground up. What do you get if you give a child visions of their inescapable fate, leaving them in the complete belief that they will be sacrificed at a young age and that their sacrifice is necessary to save the world?

You get Jojen. Solemn, melancholy, wise beyond their years but with a profound sadness. Someone who reads because they know their life time is short and

I would hope something less stupid, but I've seen the show and what they did with him wasn't much better.

No Jojen paste, dumb.

All the secret identities and switcheroos, don't like them either.

Jon is not dead, no zombie Jon, thanks.

I want Sandor = Gravedigger to be true.

• 2 weeks later...

Even if R+L=J is true, I don't want the theory that it was a forbidden love story to be true; R+L alone has so many things wrong with it that I don't know where to begin.

I also don't want Young Griff to be revealed as a Blackfyre or even a fake. 

Sweetrobin I hope manages to beat the odds and grow up. 

Jamie or Tyrion being the valonqar that kills Cersei would be too predictable by now. I hope it's Young Griff/real!Aegon that does it. Or even Tommen. 

On 7/11/2022 at 2:00 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

That Ned Stark was the secret identity of Boromir? I don't know how popular that is, though. :P

Mind BLOWN!     :bowdown:

On 7/11/2022 at 4:00 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

That Ned Stark was the secret identity of Boromir? I don't know how popular that is, though. :P

Lol I’m pretty sure that’s 100% accurate!

I’d personally prefer that we don’t get the show Jon & Dany ship. In fact if we could sink the idea along with the Titanic before Martin even puts quill to parchment tomorrow morning that would please me more than anything. 

1 hour ago, TormundsWoman said:

I’d personally prefer that we don’t get the show Jon & Dany ship. I

Oh come on now, where is your sense of fun?  
I agree though, but gosh, I miss the good old days of shipping fights.

Jon with…..pick only one, Dany, Sansa, Arya, Val*, and lots more. Not as many ships as Sansa, whose maidenhead was declared a secret weapon.

*The Good Ship ValJon is my fave, I won’t lie. 

9 hours ago, LongRider said:

Jon with…..pick only one, Dany, Sansa, Arya, Val*, and lots more. Not as many ships as Sansa, whose maidenhead was declared a secret weapon.

Jon has a harem, while Sansa gets shipped with everyone.

Other than RLJ; I don't really know which theories are popular.  Can't say I even dislike it anymore.  I'm expecting to be surprised now about a lot of stuff.  If Jon is a mix of ice and fire;  I'd like it if he turns out to be the Ice Dragon.  Although I don't really like Jojen paste or Benjen bacon.  Mostly because it turns my stomach.

17 hours ago, LongRider said:

Haha were those the Good Old Days I wonder?!?! I remember Harry Potter ship wars and they were never the good old days either!!!!

I’m strange, I always said that if he couldn’t be with Ygritte (which was the only OTP I mean to ever know about Asoiaf ships, even though it’s a dead ship now) then Mel should get some :p

Jon and her would be a fantastic pair. Even if only for a bit. It will never happen of course but what the hell...

Archived