What’s a popular theory you fervently hope doesn’t come true?

Canon Claude

5 hours ago, LynnS said:

Other than RLJ; I don't really know which theories are popular.  Can't say I even dislike it anymore.  I'm expecting to be surprised now about a lot of stuff.  If Jon is a mix of ice and fire;  I'd like it if he turns out to be the Ice Dragon.  Although I don't really like Jojen paste or Benjen bacon.  Mostly because it turns my stomach.

what is Benjen bacon?! 

On 6/16/2022 at 6:05 AM, James Arryn said:

Well, I’m kinda divided on Jon. For various plot reasons I hope he comes back but for me as a reader I hope dead means dead. I’m ironically coming to agree with what GRRM said about deaths/not deaths re: Gandalf (though I don’t agree on Gandalf himself who was explicitly ~ immortal). He said that when you play games with the readers about characters dying or seeming to die and you bring them back, you erode your credibility and the sense of real consequences. 

Now that George himself has lapped Tolkien several times over on ‘fake/pseudo’ deaths, I wonder if he still holds this position. He’d probably now say something like ‘well, if it costs/changes the character some it’s ok’. I think that’s maybe true if you do it like once, but we’re into multiples now and it’s getting a bit meh. Moreover it also further doesn’t apply to Gandalf who WAS very changed by his non-death and at first didn’t even remember any of the Fellowship or indeed what name they had called him “once”. 

OTOH if Jon stays dead it makes a LOT of the events and mysteries in the series kinda pointless, so there’s that. Dunno, kinda resigned to it but I wish it hadn’t gone down this path. 

I think its a real theme in the book to do with ice and fire (death and life) and the story of AA - that blood and fire magic happens as for Beric and Catelyn, so Jon's death and resurrection is hardly a shock at this point. Well actually I think he is probably going to warg Ghost for a while while his body is healed. Even worse than 'not dead' would be he becomes a skinchanger who can never get back to his original body, like Varamyr. Yuck! Poor fucking Jon. The fantasy elements of the books have been coming to the fore with each volume so who knows where it will end up.

When I first started reading I could only enjoy it because of the historical fiction elements as I find fantasy sort of cheesy but I seem to have converted. Resurrection? So what?

21 hours ago, LynnS said:

It was a theory that Craster had killed Benjen and turned him into sausages.  That's oversimplifying but it was a while ago.

Never heard of it before! I’d say that’s one of the most far out I’ve seen so far. Not something that’s not possible though. Carster is definitely a far out character. And of course, Cannibalism north of the Wall is not unheard of.

The other one which I don’t hate particularly but it’s just too weird and I’d find it terrible if written in the books: Varys is secretly a merman. Just not seeing it.

14 minutes ago, TormundsWoman said:

The other one which I don’t hate particularly but it’s just too weird and I’d find it terrible if written in the books: Varys is secretly a merman. Just not seeing it.

I like these two about Varys, one is he never was castrated, and the is he's a woman.   :rofl:

8 hours ago, LongRider said:

I like these two about Varys, one is he never was castrated, and the is he's a woman.   :rofl:

I'll give you one more: Not only is Varys actually a woman but she is also Illyrio's wife Serra and Young Griff's mom. She has been deep undercover to pave the way for her son to take the throne and finally restore their family, the Blackfyres, to their rightful place.

Now you might wonder, didn't Illyrio have his petrifyied wife's hands in a box somewhere and showed them to Tyrion? To this I say, it was all a ruse, the hands belong to someone entirely different, so that when people aks Illyrio where his wife went he can simply say "oh she got greyscale and died, very tragic, look I have her hands right here", causing people to be so uncomfortable they will simply drop the topic and never mention it again. 

On 7/20/2022 at 1:24 AM, LynnS said:

It was a theory that Craster had killed Benjen and turned him into sausages.  That's oversimplifying but it was a while ago.

I read someone theorizing that Benjen could still be alive based on a dream Theon has in ACOK. He sees all the dead Starks, including people he never encountered like Eddard's father, Lyanna and the other brother, but he doesn't see Benjen. He also see at the end of the dream a heavily wounded Robb, foreshadowing the red wedding, but not Catelyn, which is indicative of her subsequent resurrection as Lady Stoneheart.

On 7/20/2022 at 9:30 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I wonder if Jojen paste goes well with Benjen bacon? :huh:

LOL!  Then there is that whole business on the HBO show with the Thenns roasting that guy's arm.  It might as well have been Hannibal Lecter smacking his lips together.

19 hours ago, TormundsWoman said:

Never heard of it before! I’d say that’s one of the most far out I’ve seen so far. Not something that’s not possible though. Carster is definitely a far out character. And of course, Cannibalism north of the Wall is not unheard of.

I do like SweetSunRay's writing.  It's possible, but we'd never know the truth of it.  I don't know if Craster would go so far as to stock his larder with ice zombies.

5 hours ago, Zzz_243 said:

I read someone theorizing that Benjen could still be alive based on a dream Theon has in ACOK. He sees all the dead Starks, including people he never encountered like Eddard's father and other brother, but he doesn't see Benjen. He also see at the end of the dream a heavily wounded Robb, foreshadowing the red wedding, but not Catelyn, which is indicative of her subsequent resurrection as Lady Stoneheart.

That's an interesting omission.  It would be something of a downer if Benjen was just written off.  It seems possible that Martin has kept him off the page because he knows too much about something, or he's involved with something we don't yet know about at this point.

51 minutes ago, EggBlue said:

these Varys theories are amazing:lmao: these things are why I want WoW so bad!

If Varys is a eunich; why does he has facial hair or a 5 o'clock shadow that he has to cover up with make-up?  I'm not sure he lost the whole package.  

4 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Tyrion being a Targaryen via Aerys is definitely possible and not stupid at all, I think.

See if GRRM is going that way, I'd prefer if Jamie and Cercie were Aerys kids and Tyrion was Tywin's only biological son. Just as one final middle finger to Tywin, for a life time of cruelty.

48 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Just out of curiosity, why do you only "sort of" accept Jon as a Targ? I believe R+L=J makes perfect sense, all things considered.

Given what we know, it logically makes sense, however I feel much like the show the reveal wouldn't add anything to the story. Jon seems like lack any form of political ambition, so I think the reveal would be rather pointless, even if it is true.

Archived