Best of the Internet Next Thread

Fragile Bird

Around here scrambled eggs in a not important restaurant are $25.  I could hardly pay that kind of money for a starred restaurant dinner In Spain of beef and that's with bottles of wine!   And inflation is much greater in Europe than here.  It's price gouging, using whatever as the excuse.  But you know, it's greed.

54 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Around here scrambled eggs in a not important restaurant are $25.  I could hardly pay that kind of money for a starred restaurant dinner In Spain of beef and that's with bottles of wine!   And inflation is much greater in Europe than here.  It's price gouging, using whatever as the excuse.  But you know, it's greed.

Don't get me wrong, I've loved touring the Iberian peninsula.  That said, you are comparing economies at the extreme end of the developed nations spectrum.  The median family income for the NYC region is around $120k compared to Spain's $28k (and Andalusia, where I think you were doing your gallivanting, is one of the poorest regions of Spain with an average salary around 1k a month).   For the sake of travel, its much better to be in your shoes than a resident of Grenada who wants to go visit, well most anywhere else.  I recently got back from Porto, and its very easy to wear rose vinho verde colored glasses when your travel budget is twice the monthly salary of the locals. 

While I too would balk at $25 scrambled eggs because of how easy it is to make at home, I wouldn't be surprised if that restaurant is barely making ends or even in the red in NYC.

Edited by horangi