Best of the Internet Next Thread

Fragile Bird

On 7/21/2022 at 4:07 PM, Zorral said:

This strikes home!

In honor of your post, allow me to contribute:  Black Tom Explosion

I was playing a video game which referenced damage to the Statue of Liberty and had to look it up to see if it was true.  I had heard that people used to be able to go up into the torch and that it was damaged so that people could not go up there anymore but I never dreamed of this.

This article reports that Russia sued a US company for negligence and that the incident contributed to both the Japanese Internment Camps and the creation of the CIA.  Mind Blown.

If this is inaccurate, please point it out to me.

(Although, in fairness, my swear jar would be much higher than my 'unwelcome history lesson' jar.)

12 hours ago, litechick said:

the incident contributed to both the Japanese Internment Camps and the creation of the CIA. 

What might be iffy in terms of strict accuracy is the above, as both these occurred in the US in WWII, not WWI.  And the Central Intelligence Agency, per se, in fact, wasn't formed until after WWII; during the War it was the OSS -- as Britannica and the Smithsonian provides, the CIA 

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/history/sabotage-in-new-york-harbor-123968672/

... grew out of the World War II Office of Strategic Services (OSS). Previous U.S. intelligence and counterintelligence efforts had been conducted by the military and the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) and suffered from duplication, competition, and lack of coordination, problems that continued, to some degree, into the 21st century.

However, as the Wiki entry points out accurately, responses and consequences taken by the US government and other governments at the time, i.e. WWI, provided precedent to the WWII and post-war US government for handling intelligence and domestic, internal threats in war time -- and, in non-wartime footing as well. 

O, and let me haste to add: WWI isn't my area of expertise at all -- though I've been trying over the years in a not so systematic manner, to fill in the gaps.  It's racism and Woodrow Wilson and the Great Influenza that has drawn most of my attention too.

Edited by Zorral

Reichlican performance art, of how evil it is that 'we' are punished for being part of an attempted, treasonous coup. Or, as others have put it, "The CPAC's version of Don't Cry For Me Argentina. Cry For Me CPACtina!"

In the meantime, we get something even better -- Palin railing about -- YES! You get it in one -- Hillary's emails!

Edited by Zorral