Best of the Internet Next Thread

Fragile Bird

• 2 weeks later...

All the chat about political motivation in the UK thread made me pay more attention than usual when I came across a dramatic little episode in the early career of Lloyd George. It all sounded a bit North-Wales-meets-Robert-Louis-Stevenson, yet it is apparently true. 

Edited by dog-days

That's horrendous. I can't believe anyone ever thought that was a good idea. I mean, it sounds a bit like Shanghai's new towns, but someone apparently read about them and thought "that's way too modest and low-key! What the Black Sea region needs is a valley full of identical Disney mansions." At least with the extended burst of masochism that was brutalist architecture, I can see the original ideals behind the gruesome exterior. With this, I have no words. 

I wonder what is was like to be involved in the project. Maybe at the start to think a new development in the area would be a good idea, and then to return and see the horror of the fantasy-made-real. I envision a Munch-Scream-style moment. Though I suspect for the senior people, the only horror was that their scheme didn't make them millions. 

Edited by dog-days

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

That's horrendous. I can't believe anyone ever thought that was a good idea. I mean, it sounds a bit like Shanghai's new towns, but someone apparently read about them and thought "that's way too modest and low-key! What the Black Sea region needs is a valley full of identical Disney mansions." At least with the extended burst of masochism that was brutalist architecture, I can see the original ideals behind the gruesome exterior. With this, I have no words. 

I wonder what is was like to be involved in the project. Maybe at the start to think a new development in the area would be a good idea, and then to return and see the horror of the fantasy-made-real. I envision a Munch-Scream-style moment. Though I suspect for the senior people, the only horror was that their scheme didn't make them millions. 

I have been driven through two of the places near Shanghai, and they are exactly as bad as you might imagine, plus 30%.  Tasteless and without any integration to the local neighborhood whatsoever, and I heard that local folks were tossed out of their homes/farms to accommodate the land developers without much recourse.

Given the way developers here in my own local town act, I can't imagine how despicable the experience must have been for the folks in China and Turkey.

32 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I have been driven through two of the places near Shanghai, and they are exactly as bad as you might imagine, plus 30%.  Tasteless and without any integration to the local neighborhood whatsoever, and I heard that local folks were tossed out of their homes/farms to accommodate the land developers without much recourse.

Given the way developers here in my own local town act, I can't imagine how despicable the experience must have been for the folks in China and Turkey.

It was a fairly ominous sign when Albert Speer Jr's firm was hired to design the German toytown. Previous works included a central courthouse in Riyadh (2007). 

The UK seems full of dodgy developers and local councils. Mostly not megalomaniacal in the totalitarian style (though Cardiff has its moments), but ready to build on flood plains, produce only the type of housing that will net the biggest profit (three/four bedroom houses mainly), and create housing estates without any facilities, infrastructure or community spaces. I mean to follow the 2019 winner of the Stirling Prize, a council housing development in Norwich; I was very glad it won, but it'll be interesting to see how it develops - if it's able to fulfil the hopes the planners had for it.