HBO Developing Jon Snow Sequel Series

Ser Drewy

3 hours ago, SeanF said:

They did butcher Jon Snow, probably worse than any other character.  He was made pretty stupid, following his resurrection, and fundamentally lacking in moral courage.  They made him a failure, both as a king and as a man.

It would require outstandingly good writing to make this spin-off worthwhile.

Is it possible that this is the show's way of showing negative after-effects of resurrection?

16 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Is it possible that this is the show's way of showing negative after-effects of resurrection?

If there's one thing I learned while watching GoT, it's that, anytime you ask "well, did writers mean to..." the answer is "no".

In other words, whenever I made excuses for them and said they had a plan, it turned out they didn't have any plan and were just winging it.

So no, they weren't trying to show the after effects of resurrection. They would've made it obvious if that was the case. And IMO Jon Snow only became a complete loser in season 8. Season 6 post-resurrection was actually his most badass season.

27 minutes ago, Darryk said:

If there's one thing I learned while watching GoT, it's that, anytime you ask "well, did writers mean to..." the answer is "no".

In other words, whenever I made excuses for them and said they had a plan, it turned out they didn't have any plan and were just winging it.

So no, they weren't trying to show the after effects of resurrection. They would've made it obvious if that was the case. And IMO Jon Snow only became a complete loser in season 8. Season 6 post-resurrection was actually his most badass season.

Jon started Season 6 badass, hanging the mutineers, but he lost the plot at Battle of the Bastards.  

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

Jon started Season 6 badass, hanging the mutineers, but he lost the plot at Battle of the Bastards.  

He acted like an idiot at the Battle of the Bastards, but they wrote him as an idiot throughout the series.

But I think his badass element at least was still there at the Battle of the Bastards. He was still making decisions for himself and showing moral courage. He challenged Ramsay to a one-on-one duel, convinced the wildlings to join the fight, charged headlong into Ramsay' army (stupid and probably not something book Jon Snow would've done, but still heroic) and then beat the crap out of Ramsay after the battle. Then he had his great moment where he was made King of the North.

But season 8 they not only continued to write him as an idiot, but as a poodle who just follows Dany around saying "muh qween" and "I dunt want it".

Although all of S5-6 didn’t leak like S7-8 did, there were still a lot of Reddit leaks. I remember the guy who leaked BOTB said that Jon stopped beating Ramsay’s face in at the end because he didn’t want his sister to see him brutally murder someone with his own hands. Then during the Inside the Episode, D&D said that he stopped beating Ramsay because he “knew that Sansa deserved to kill Ramsay more than him.” :rolleyes: How do two major nerds manage to also be such frat bros? The random crew guy got it, but not the writers.

On 6/18/2022 at 1:05 AM, The Bard of Banefort said:

If I remember correctly, Sophie was extremely anti-Jonsa. I don’t think she’d agree to come back if that was the plan.

If I had to guess, they’ll introduce Val as a love interest, or a character just like her with a different name. If Sansa is a main character, they’ll probably introduce a character just like book-Hound, but with a different name and closer in age. Maisie recently said that she thought Arya was queer prior to S8, so if she comes back she’ll probably fall in love with a woman. And honestly, go for it. It’s all fanfiction at this point, they might as well go the crazy route rather than more of the monotonous boredom that became the norm during the later seasons of GOT.

Do you guys think we’re gonna get an ice dragon? :P

What does Maisie's opinion matter? She admitted to never reading the books and consistently has the worst out of character takes on Arya. Her level of understanding is D&D level. 

However, Maisie has been hinting at returning to Arya at some point in several interviews over the years. (She's currently filming a new series playing Christian Dior's sister) In a recent GQ article, she mentions wanting the right team and right timing before she would do a spin off. Seems like she's giving it a lot of thought. lol The reaction to this Jon Snow spin off hasn't been great with a lot of fans wanting a different character to have the focus. Arya's journey seems to have the biggest push from fans who see the potential, especially with world building and expanding GRRM's lore. 

6 hours ago, MissM said:

What does Maisie's opinion matter? She admitted to never reading the books and consistently has the worst out of character takes on Arya. Her level of understanding is D&D level. 

However, Maisie has been hinting at returning to Arya at some point in several interviews over the years. (She's currently filming a new series playing Christian Dior's sister) In a recent GQ article, she mentions wanting the right team and right timing before she would do a spin off. Seems like she's giving it a lot of thought. lol The reaction to this Jon Snow spin off hasn't been great with a lot of fans wanting a different character to have the focus. Arya's journey seems to have the biggest push from fans who see the potential, especially with world building and expanding GRRM's lore. 

I will roll my eyes so hard if it's an Arya spin-off. Did she not get enough attention already? She got to do all the cool stuff in the final two seasons, including stuff that should have been done by other characters, like killing the Night King (Jon's entire story had built up to that).

Jon was the character who got royally shafted, Arya was basically just a vehicle for fanservice.

But yeah, if it comes down to TV character popularity then I'm sure the masses will get their way and it'll be Arya, cause Dinklage wont want to come back.

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

I will roll my eyes so hard if it's an Arya spin-off. Did she not get enough attention already? She got to do all the cool stuff in the final two seasons, including stuff that should have been done by other characters, like killing the Night King (Jon's entire story had built up to that).

Jon was the character who got royally shafted, Arya was basically just a vehicle for fanservice.

But yeah, if it comes down to TV character popularity then I'm sure the masses will get their way and it'll be Arya, cause Dinklage wont want to come back.

Given Arya's xenophobia in Season 8, she should be portrayed as a conquistador in any spin-off, conquering and enslaving natives to the West of Westeros and seizing their land.  Her sister could lend a hand.

I can't believe it!:ack:

This would be like ... GOT season 9! As bad or worse. Do they think the ending of S8 can be fixed?:bang: I thought that heap of manure was better going to oblivion. Anyway, I was trying my best to forget it.

I suppose they think they can still milk some money out off it.:spank: Probably would work for those didn't see the problem first hand.

Jon Snow spin off show is not the worst idea when I compare it to Rogue Arya spin off show (if that's what's going to happen next)...

butchered story and idiotic plots aside, I think Kit Harrington would destroy his career if he chooses to be Jon Snow all over again . the character doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be and considering how HBO handled the Wall plot in GoT and how bad Bloodmoon probably was, the show would be mediocre at best... the man has already failed to get many better roles as it is , imagine he slips right back to his old character in an unimpressive show that takes much of his time and energy..

9 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I think Kit Harrington would destroy his career if he chooses to be Jon Snow

His career doesn't seem to be going anywhere at the moment anyway (The Eternals was probably a mistake). Reprising Jon Snow could be his last shot and will at least make him more money to the point where he won't have to worry about getting new roles (though he might be there already)

10 hours ago, EggBlue said:

Jon Snow spin off show is not the worst idea when I compare it to Rogue Arya spin off show (if that's what's going to happen next)...

butchered story and idiotic plots aside, I think Kit Harrington would destroy his career if he chooses to be Jon Snow all over again . the character doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be and considering how HBO handled the Wall plot in GoT and how bad Bloodmoon probably was, the show would be mediocre at best... the man has already failed to get many better roles as it is , imagine he slips right back to his old character in an unimpressive show that takes much of his time and energy..

A few years ago, I would have agreed, but now every IP is trying to launch an extended universe. There is also something to be said for how none of the young actors (excluding Pedro Pascal, Jason Momoa, and to a lesser extent Richard Madden) have had much success outside of GOT. On the contrary, Kit, Emilia, Maisie, and Sophie have all starred in high-profile flops.

The saddest thing about this is that when Hollywood producers first approached GRRM about adapting ASOIAF in the early 2000's, they wanted to focus on just one plotline, like Jon's, Dany's or Ned's. George declined, because he felt that it wasn't the right way to tell his story. Now we're on track to getting something like that anyway. And maybe even worse, since there is no source material this time.

On 6/22/2022 at 12:23 PM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

The saddest thing about this is that when Hollywood producers first approached GRRM about adapting ASOIAF in the early 2000's, they wanted to focus on just one plotline, like Jon's, Dany's or Ned's. George declined, because he felt that it wasn't the right way to tell his story. Now we're on track to getting something like that anyway. And maybe even worse, since there is no source material this time.

Ned's would have been easy; he goes to King's Landing to rule and learn what happened to his predecessor, he fails to prevent a war, so head, spike, wall.

Daenerys would have been easy as well since there are some editions where her plot is published separately.

On 6/17/2022 at 2:17 AM, Ser Drewy said:

The dead speak!
Westeros has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late NIGHT KING.

"Somehow, the Night King returned,"  Bran said in a monotone. 

"HOW THE FU-you know what, screw this. " *Jon walks outside to the roof overlooking the most important part of GoT's Winterfell-THE  MUDDY COURTYARD. * He jumps headfirst, breaks his neck and dies. 

"Well, we're screwed. Should we beg Dany's remaining troops to come back and die for us again, so we can treat them like garbage? It'll be SO FUN!" Sansa shrieked, like the witch she was. 

24 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

"Somehow, the Night King returned,"  Bran said in a monotone. 

"HOW THE FU-you know what, screw this. " *Jon walks outside to the roof overlooking the most important part of GoT's Winterfell-THE  MUDDY COURTYARD. * He jumps headfirst, breaks his neck and dies. 

"Well, we're screwed. Should we beg Dany's remaining troops to come back and die for us again, so we can treat them like garbage? It'll be SO FUN!" Sansa shrieked, like the witch she was. 

To which, Grey Worm replies:-

“But, you don’t need allies. Remember?”

On 6/17/2022 at 11:17 AM, Ser Drewy said:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-spinoff-1235167415/

The dead speak!
Westeros has heard a mysterious broadcast, a threat of REVENGE in the sinister voice of the late NIGHT KING.

At least, that's the vibes it gives me. Really I have no idea what to make of this. ASOIAF seems to be full SW/Marvel mode now. 

The first episode of the show will be aired on Fortnite.

On 6/22/2022 at 6:23 PM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

It is sad, GRRM must be crying into his massive pile of money :D

Archived