HBO Developing Jon Snow Sequel Series

Ser Drewy

8 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Dany killing slave masters = boooo!
Arya poisoning entire family and baking kids into pies = hooray!

I do think the show's message was that brutally killing for the sake of revenge or to restore one's family's status was acceptable;  killing for the sake of freeing people was not.  

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

I do think the show's message was that brutally killing for the sake of revenge or to restore one's family's status was acceptable;  killing for the sake of freeing people was not.  

And then they made brutally killing for the sake of revenge bad in "The Bells."

• 1 month later...
On 6/22/2022 at 1:44 AM, EggBlue said:

Jon Snow spin off show is not the worst idea when I compare it to Rogue Arya spin off show (if that's what's going to happen next)...

butchered story and idiotic plots aside, I think Kit Harrington would destroy his career if he chooses to be Jon Snow all over again . the character doesn't seem to be as popular as it used to be and considering how HBO handled the Wall plot in GoT and how bad Bloodmoon probably was, the show would be mediocre at best... the man has already failed to get many better roles as it is , imagine he slips right back to his old character in an unimpressive show that takes much of his time and energy.

I mean, the reason Kit is doing this is his other projects are bombing one after the other.

On my end, I'm extremely excited for this and hope it helps fix a bunch of the problems of Season 8. If they adapted book material like the Karstarks, Val, and so on even if there's nothing remotely similar going on then I'd still love it because I can appreciate alternate universes.

I just wish they'd bring back Daenerys!

RED PRIEST HER.

26 minutes ago, C.T. Phipps said:

I mean, the reason Kit is doing this is his other projects are bombing one after the other.

On my end, I'm extremely excited for this and hope it helps fix a bunch of the problems of Season 8. If they adapted book material like the Karstarks, Val, and so on even if there's nothing remotely similar going on then I'd still love it because I can appreciate alternate universes.

I just wish they'd bring back Daenerys!

RED PRIEST HER.

I think I’d rather see the Seven Kingdoms going to hell in a handcart, as Bran, Tyrion, Bronn, Sam, and Sansa demonstrate their incompetence.

51 minutes ago, SeanF said:

I think I’d rather see the Seven Kingdoms going to hell in a handcart, as Bran, Tyrion, Bronn, Sam, and Sansa demonstrate their incompetence.

I don't feel the need to take revenge on the fictional characters for D&D's failures, though I'd love for Sophie Turner to change her mind on coming back because I'd love to see political mastermind Sansa and following up on all of the issues that come with establishing a new kingdom.

Also how Jon and Sansa would deal with one another if he's the King Beyond the Wall.

5 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I wish I had your optimism. IMO, there is a real risk of it becoming the Westeros equivalent of Harry Potter and the Cursed Child.

I still have no clue why George signed off on this. :(

I feel like the answer is probably, "Kit Harrington is a good guy with a lot of passion for my character and it looks fun."

If George didn't have a problem with them trying to do Nymeria series, I don't see why he'd have a problem with them trying to do more with his most direct characters.

On 6/25/2022 at 12:54 PM, Lady Anna said:

I also don't get show-Arya's popularity.

I think a lot of it’s hangover from the earlier seasons. I remember being very disturbed by the child killer thing and being constantly told that I was wrong :rolleyes:  

Knowing now that this is Kit’s passion project, I’m not really sure what it will be. If it was HBO who pitched it, then I think it would be aimed at rectifying S8. But since it was proposed by the actor, I reckon it’ll be more about giving him closure. 

With the exception of Pedro Pascal, Jason Momoa and, to a lesser extent, Richard Madden, most of the main cast has not hit it big post-Thrones.* Maybe Emilia will get a boost from the Marvel show she’s filming, but I don’t know how big her role is (I think that there’s already signs that Marvel is approaching oversaturation too, but who really knows). Having kids has probably delayed Sophie’s career a bit, so we’ll have to see if she makes a comeback in a few years. I heard that Maisie is in the fashion world now? With Natalie Dormer, I’m curious if she’s just tired of being typecast in sexpot roles (although she had a kid quite recently too). Jacob Anderson is in the new Interview with the Vampire reboot, which will hopefully be good. I honestly haven’t seen Lena/Peter/Nikolai in anything since GOT ended, save for Fighting with My Family (which was really good, by the way!)

*Also that one guard from S7 who hit it big on Stranger Things lol.

2 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

If George didn't have a problem with them trying to do Nymeria series, I don't see why he'd have a problem with them trying to do more with his most direct characters.

I guess I just don't know where to draw the line between something like this and actual fanfiction. Which is ironic, given how opposed GRRM is to fanfiction in general.

26 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I guess I just don't know where to draw the line between something like this and actual fanfiction. Which is ironic, given how opposed GRRM is to fanfiction in general.

Well George is being invited to supervise and getting compensated for it. I also note that George personally knows these people and how important it is to them.

It's not like George is opposed to spinoffs either as he wrote material for the Game of Thrones RPG.

He also even made a guest appearance in it.

Speaking of Arya, I'm a little confused as to where this attitude comes from.

Arya has always been popular on both the show and in the books. Also, the book Arya becoming a psycho-killer is literally her arc for them so far and did nothing to diminish her popularity. Well before Game of Thrones spoiled it, Arya training to become a faceless man but deciding to come back and murder the Freys was everyone's guess for what was going to happen.

And I don't think ANYONE ever has done anything but cheer for Frey murder. It used to be a national pasttime here on Westeros.ORG.

Arya being an adorable badass daughter-figure to most of the audience like Ellie to Joel or Kitty Pryde to Wolverine is also an easy in to the heart.

It's why so many people were creeped out by her sex scene.

16 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Arya training to become a faceless man but deciding to come back and murder the Freys was everyone's guess for what was going to happen.

And I don't think ANYONE ever has done anything but cheer for Frey murder. It used to be a national pasttime here on Westeros.ORG.

I think people expect Lady Stoneheart to murder the Freys in the books.

Yeah we all want the Freys to die, the problem in the show is the contrast between Dany and Arya. Danny is foreshadowed out to be a "mad queen" for doing things that are actually less bloodthirsty than what Arya does.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:53 PM, Angel Eyes said:

And then they made brutally killing for the sake of revenge bad in "The Bells."

I think the fact they had Arya judge Dany right on this issue when she talked to Jon and then have her run through the City seeing the damages when it came down to it, made it clear the writers had a soft spot for her and generally the Starks.

Hers while not normal even by their standards, we were supposed to understand, while Dany's not. Sansa came off as the more reasonable Stark, considering she only killed her own torturer herself and was judge & jury for Baelish. Also: Arya spared the women. That obviously makes all the difference...

7 minutes ago, TormundsWoman said:

I think the fact they had Arya judge Dany right on this issue when she talked to Jon and then have her run through the City seeing the damages when it came down to it, made it clear the writers had a soft spot for her and generally the Starks.

Hers while not normal even by their standards, we were supposed to understand, while Dany's not. Sansa came off as the more reasonable Stark, considering she only killed her own torturer herself and was judge & jury for Baelish. Also: Arya spared the women. That obviously makes all the difference...

"I know a killer when I see one" was unintentionally hilarious.  The obvious response was "every time you look in the mirror ."

As to the "soft spot" very much so.  Even in The Bells, and afterwards, we were expected, for some reason, to judge the Northern soldiers' killing and raping spree very differently to Daenerys and her soldiers. 

16 hours ago, C.T. Phipps said:

Speaking of Arya, I'm a little confused as to where this attitude comes from.

Arya has always been popular on both the show and in the books. Also, the book Arya becoming a psycho-killer is literally her arc for them so far and did nothing to diminish her popularity. Well before Game of Thrones spoiled it, Arya training to become a faceless man but deciding to come back and murder the Freys was everyone's guess for what was going to happen.

Arya being an adorable badass daughter-figure to most of the audience like Ellie to Joel or Kitty Pryde to Wolverine is also an easy in to the heart.

It's why so many people were creeped out by her sex scene.

In the books, Arya is very troubled.  She kills, but there is no sign she actually takes pleasure from killing.  In the show, she plainly relished playing with her food, so to speak.  And, we were very much expected to cheer when enemies of House Stark were not just killed, but subjected to prolonged suffering in the process

On 8/1/2022 at 9:19 AM, C.T. Phipps said:

I don't feel the need to take revenge on the fictional characters for D&D's failures, though I'd love for Sophie Turner to change her mind on coming back because I'd love to see political mastermind Sansa and following up on all of the issues that come with establishing a new kingdom.

Also how Jon and Sansa would deal with one another if he's the King Beyond the Wall.

I'd love to see Sansa return so that her neck was introduced to Longclaw. :D

• 2 months later...
On 6/17/2022 at 11:29 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

But that's the thing, who is to say that they won't butcher it even more?

Might as well try, no use debating it much tho given with the success of HOTD it's likely to happen anyways. The best advice for those who don't like it or the concept is probably to just not watch it if/when it releases

On 6/19/2022 at 5:16 AM, MissM said:

What does Maisie's opinion matter? She admitted to never reading the books and consistently has the worst out of character takes on Arya. Her level of understanding is D&D level. 

However, Maisie has been hinting at returning to Arya at some point in several interviews over the years. (She's currently filming a new series playing Christian Dior's sister) In a recent GQ article, she mentions wanting the right team and right timing before she would do a spin off. Seems like she's giving it a lot of thought. lol The reaction to this Jon Snow spin off hasn't been great with a lot of fans wanting a different character to have the focus. Arya's journey seems to have the biggest push from fans who see the potential, especially with world building and expanding GRRM's lore. 

Personally I think it is wayyyyy to early for an Arya spinoff, they should flesh out known areas of the world and whats even shown in the show before attempting a Christopher Columbus to Ashai or something.

On 6/22/2022 at 11:23 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

The saddest thing about this is that when Hollywood producers first approached GRRM about adapting ASOIAF in the early 2000's, they wanted to focus on just one plotline, like Jon's, Dany's or Ned's. George declined, because he felt that it wasn't the right way to tell his story. Now we're on track to getting something like that anyway. And maybe even worse, since there is no source material this time.

I think the lack of source material argument is overdone and D&D are giving you guys PTSD, plenty of shows lack source material, Kit read the books and knows his character well, along with plenty of other's to help him and likely influence from George who gave it his blessings, it'll be fine and much better then whatever post S5 Jon was.

Archived