Jon Snow: The Bastard Returns

Myrddin

I know this probably belongs north of the wall, but I'm sure I'm not the only one who doesn't go there very often.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-spinoff-1235167415/

So, we're getting more than prequels with Westeros it seems? How do you all feel about that? Interested in returning to this part of the timeline where Bran is king and Jon still knows nothing?

Looks like the spread between books and show canon is going to get even wider.

If it's good I'll watch it, if it's bad I won't. Whether it bears any resemblance to post-asoiaf plans that GRRM has for the characters, assuming that's any, doesn't matter to me. The original series stopped being the books several seasons before it ended as well; but was still good tv until the final season dropped the ball so hard. 

Hopefully HBO gets some dedicated showrunners who don't want to bail before the series is done.

What's the conspiracy theory?

Anyway, Jon Snow's ending was by far the best thing about that final season. I'm not sure there's anything to be gained by continuing his story.

Having said that, Jon Snow is my favourite character, and Kit Harington is a 100%, bona fide cinematic badass, so I guess it wouldn't be the absolute worst thing in the world.

Hard to credit this news, I don't know. Would Martin really want a sequel series that could run 10 seasons before Martin finishes writing the, I guess, prequel series? 

Good grief, Snow's just a kid.  He's not got a life.  What a shyte sense of Story.  Anyway, Snow wasn't interesting after the Wall either, so he shure as heck ain't before.

I liked Kit in the role in the early seasons, but his performances matched the quality of writing, and I never really bought his Jon Snow as commander of the northern armies and all that stuff.

I don't need this show and I have little faith in HBO in finding the right writers for this. OTOH... GRRM's famous criticism of Tolkien was that he would have wanted more about how Aragorn rebuilt the kingdom post LOTR, how stuff got developed etc. So with that in mind, and considering the rush job that was GoT season 8 and its ending, this could an opportunity to write something worthwhile. But again, who will do it?

Anyway, at this point I am skeptical of the news. 

As I said in the General forum, I wouldn't be completely against this.

Jon Snow's character was butchered ("she's mah queen", the White Walker plot was butchered. Maybe they can try salvage it.

The issue is most of the rest of the cast probably won't return. Dinklage definitely won't return. Maybe they could just make it that Tyrion got executed by a tyrannical King Bran.

Ah. now that I'm doing the news cruise, I see this isn't to be a prequel but a sequel.  With Kit Harrington.  Who is maybe the most wooden, untalented actor ever.  Which is saying something.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/game-of-thrones-jon-snow-spinoff-1235167415/

But just coz 'his name is attached' at this time to the project doesn't mean a whole lot. Particularly as included is also, "if the project should move forward."

However, I'd be interested in seeing what happens now, after the end of the tv series.  This could be interesting and exciting!  Whereas NO INTEREST at all in before GOT series.  Books either.

.... HBO’s other live-action prequels in various stages of development are 10,000 Ships (aka Nymeria) with showrunner Amanda Segel, 9 Voyages (aka The Sea Snake) with showrunner Bruno Heller, and Dunk and Egg with showrunner Steve Conrad.

There are also three animated prequel projects, including The Golden Empire, which is set in the China-inspired land of Yi Ti.

HBO and Harington’s representatives had no comment.

"... The Golden Empire, which is set in the China-inspired land of Yi Ti."

Going by what has been done by GRRM etc. with so-called non-white cultures and histories already, how this is handled will bring on screaming outrage almost certainly.

3 hours ago, briantw said:

I hope this is a buddy cop comedy where Jon Snow and Tormund Giantsbane fight crime and solve mysteries north of the Wall. 

Snow - Wildling Ranger

Honestly. His story's been told. I am about as interested in this, as in Bran setting the rax rate for the six kingdoms and how he ends up sending Pod and Brienne chasing bootleggers smuggling goods between the North and the Riverlands. 

Or Tyrion negotiating the Riverland protocols arguing about on which side of the Twins custom checksshould take place.

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Snow - Wildling Ranger

Honestly. His story's been told. I am about as interested in this, as in Bran setting the rax rate for the six kingdoms and how he ends up sending Pod and Brienne chasing bootleggers smuggling goods between the North and the Riverlands. 

Or Tyrion negotiating the Riverland protocols arguing about on which side of the Twins custom checksshould take place.

But you won't have to see any of that, cause the White Walkers will return and destroy everyone!

It will turn out the Night King can reincarnate himself, like the Overmind from StarCraft. Jon Snow has to find out how to kill him permanently before the last shreds of humanity are wiped out.

Meanwhile Bran turns out to be a tyrannical king who spies on his citizens. The members of the Great Council of Westeros (all five of them) suddenly regret voting for a weird cripple kid on the basis that Tyrion told them he had a good story.

So with the evil surveillance state of Bran on one side, and the approaching White Walkers on the other, the people of Westeros are trapped between ice and....more ice.

Archived