Jon Snow: The Bastard Returns

Myrddin

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Ok, fair enough.  If you're saying it would be more consistent with what happened in the show, that's hard to argue.  And no, I certainly don't think Martin's endgame would be instituting a God-King.

Maybe GRRM means for Bran to be a "philosopher king" like in Plato, but D+D took it overboard.

1 minute ago, Darryk said:

Maybe GRRM means for Bran to be a "philosopher king" like in Plato, but D+D took it overboard.

Possibly?  Who knows.  But even if that's the case I suspect it will be significantly different than a near-omnipotent "God-King" as SeanF described.

33 minutes ago, Darryk said:

Plato really did come up with some rubbish about politics, didn’t he?

An ancient or medieval king must first and foremost be successful at war.  

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

I've seen some excellent, in-depth suggestions that Bran's destiny is to be the Fisher King or possibly ruling from the Isle of Faces as a religious figure of some kind who reintroduces the religion of the old gods in the south. That I can buy very well.

For all we know, Bran abdicates a year later (as he planned/knew) in favor of someone not on the political stage yet.

Or maybe the whole Snow show will be around Jon getting over his "I donwanit" attitude and embracing his heritage. (Note: this is not a direction I'd be in favor of.)

Just pointing out that Bran becoming King, doesn't mean he can't just step down before he turns 15 and go be a sage on the Isle of Faces or something once the kingdoms were stable. How old was Bran by the end anyway? The actor aged so much, I can't remember the in world time duration of the series.

16 minutes ago, DMC said:

Neither could the writers.

Gilly’s child was still a baby at the age of three, and Cersei showed no sign of pregnancy after ten months.  (Marching an army from Dragonstone to Winterfell, then back to Kings Landing, would take ten months).

Yeah, as I recall there were other examples too (besides Dany's infamous trip beyond the wall).  I was mostly just being a smartass though as Myrddin set up the joke so well.  In all seriousness, I don't think they ever really addressed how much time elapsed between seasons or over the course of the whole series, etc. 

And frankly, I never had much of a problem with that.  Plenty of shows have fuzzy time durations throughout the course of the series.  Justified comes to mind (e.g. Winona's pregnancy lasting two full seasons), and they didn't even have any of the characters literally grow up on screen.  "Taller Ghost Walt" on LOST shows how dealing with the aging of child actors can get ridiculous when you have strict (and condensed) timelines.

21 hours ago, DMC said:

I was mostly just being a smartass though as Myrddin set up the joke so well. 

You should always take the shot. :)

I would have.

So I googled my own question (strange concept, I know) and hit this timeline that claims a year passes every season (for the show, not books). Toward the end of the page, it cites dialog to support the assumption and also in show details/dialog that disprove the assumption. In the end, time is whatever the next show writer decides.

23 hours ago, Myrddin said:

Just pointing out that Bran becoming King, doesn't mean he can't just step down before he turns 15 and go be a sage on the Isle of Faces or something once the kingdoms were stable. How old was Bran by the end anyway? The actor aged so much, I can't remember the in world time duration of the series.

I believe they tried to argue it was around 6-7 years, so they'd not get into trouble for suggesting an underaged Arya gets laid in Season 8.

However, as various people pointed out, this was still nonsensical because Gilly's baby doesn't seem to grow that much (and suddenly grows a lot).

21 hours ago, SeanF said:

Gilly’s child was still a baby at the age of three, and Cersei showed no sign of pregnancy after ten months.  (Marching an army from Dragonstone to Winterfell, then back to Kings Landing, would take ten months).

Not in the show where, canonically Westeros is smaller than in the books. In Season 2 they give the distance from Torrhen's Square to Winterfell and it's around about half the distance it is in the books.

Then in Season 7 they say the Inn at the Crossroads is only 200 miles from King's Landing, which is less than half. Then, terrifyingly, in Season 8 they say the Inn is two days from King's Landing.

The constantly shrinking size of Westeros in the TV show is never addressed, despite it clearly being a far greater and more existential threat than the White Walkers.

25 minutes ago, Werthead said:

The constantly shrinking size of Westeros in the TV show is never addressed, despite it clearly being a far greater and more existential threat than the White Walkers.

I think we got another spinoff idea...

33 minutes ago, Werthead said:

I believe they tried to argue it was around 6-7 years, so they'd not get into trouble for suggesting an underaged Arya gets laid in Season 8.

However, as various people pointed out, this was still nonsensical because Gilly's baby doesn't seem to grow that much (and suddenly grows a lot).

Not in the show where, canonically Westeros is smaller than in the books. In Season 2 they give the distance from Torrhen's Square to Winterfell and it's around about half the distance it is in the books.

Then in Season 7 they say the Inn at the Crossroads is only 200 miles from King's Landing, which is less than half. Then, terrifyingly, in Season 8 they say the Inn is two days from King's Landing.

Yes, Brett Devereux poked a lot of fun at the show's logistics, and by Season 7, they had become ridiculous. No way could 108,000 men march and ride overland from Dragonstone to Winterfell without starving to death. And as for Sansa's subsequent complaint that they hadn't brought their own food with them...What did she expect them to do?  Pillage every farm within 50 miles of the route of march?

Gendry did his hundred mile sprint to the Wall, then Dany flew North at the speed of Concorde.

1 hour ago, Werthead said:

Goes hand in hand with the extreme climate change experienced in Westeros (and Essos, too) - King's Landing being a desert by season 7.

49 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Goes hand in hand with the extreme climate change experienced in Westeros (and Essos, too) - King's Landing being a desert by season 7.

And then located on a steppe, by season 8.

No, I think I finally figured the perfect idea for this show.

Jon Snow helps Wildlings train their animals. Sorta of Cesar Millan goes beyond the Wall, explaining to wild folks, that they have to be Alpha Dog, while you could see Ghost glaring at him and silently sending daggers until the final episode, when Ghost finally snaps. Who's the fucking Alpha now, Jon? Who, who, who. 

• 3 months later...
On 7/3/2022 at 9:08 PM, Myrddin said:

Actually, the show should be about Jon searching for Snow, because the direwolf was MIA for most of 8 seasons...

you mean Ghost...?

The past week I've seen a lot of pages on facebook that the algorithm suggests to me proclaiming SNOW is "official" and beginning filming this December just makes me grind my teeth.  Clickbait, clearly, to get people to subscribe to those HOTD meme pages.

Archived