HBO Developing Jon Snow Spin-off

Westeros

Warner Bros. Discovery took on enormous amounts of debt during their merger, so they are apparently rummaging through closets and under seat cushions for sources of revenue.  A GOT sequel would be one such possible source.

If I had to make a guess, I would say that this is an attempt to judge public interest before they make too much of a commitment.  They could also be seeing if any of the actors are interested.  

Hopefully any reaction will be sufficiently negative, or at least insufficiently positive, to keep things from going much further.  As for Martin's involvement, it probably begins and ends with, "based on characters created by George R.R. Martin".  In other words, little to none.

When I saw this announcement/rumor, I immediately thought: what kind of story is there to tell in a Jon Snow sequel show? The Night Watch no longer exists in the GOT show, the Night King and the White Walkers are dead.... The wildlings no longer need to be united under a King-Beyond-The-Wall, because there is no external threat. I have absolutely no idea.

Honestly, I see absolutely no potential in this TV series. But when I look at how non-book readers reacted to this news, I notice that they are very interested. I wouldn't be surprised if this creatively bankrupt fanservice project would be more popular than the other GOT prequel series like House of the Dragon....

I hope this TV series never sees the light of day. I would have liked it better if HBO just focused on the multiple prequel series (with close involvement from George) rather than making up "alternate endings" for characters from Game of Thrones.

16 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

It's amazing when you ask non-book readers who keep pleading "hey can't we have an Arya sequel or something?", amazing when you ask them "list off specific plotlines you think they could actually do" and they really can't think of any.

Arya could discover new peoples in the West, and Sansa send out an army and navy to enslave them and seize their land.  That would be true to life.

12 minutes ago, The Dragon Demands said:

It's amazing when you ask non-book readers who keep pleading "hey can't we have an Arya sequel or something?", amazing when you ask them "list off specific plotlines you think they could actually do" and they really can't think of any.

Exploring a new continent is the most wide-open story engine imaginable. You could do virtually anything with it.

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

but what would it do for Arya's character arc?

Much as above, almost anything? It's a field of almost limitless possibilities.

I don't think it says anything that fans don't have an exact story arc mapped out. They just recognize that it's a potentially very interesting premise that good writers could do a lot with.

2 hours ago, SeanF said:

Arya could discover new peoples in the West, and Sansa send out an army and navy to enslave them and seize their land.  That would be true to life.

Damn, Sean, you’re really drinking the Sansa hater-aid today.

2 hours ago, $erPounce said:

creatively bankrupt 

RLM fan? ;-)

29 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

And what has the public reaction been so far? Outside of the bubble, I mean?

I don't really know.  I'm pretty much stuck in the bubble myself.  From some comments on articles, there is some interest, but a lot of suspicion and buyer's remorse as well.  Unfortunately, it's a small sample (30-some comments on two articles from Deadline and Winteriscoming), so it's very hard to say at this point.

I’ve seen a lot more excitement for this than HOTD. HOTD is facing an uphill battle, since it’s new characters with mostly unknown actors, but even if you look at Google trends, the sequel is clearly overshadowing the prequel. But there are a lot of naysayers too, who feel like it’s time to let GOT go and move on. The move does feel a bit desperate on HBO’s part.

Dany fans are the most interesting here. Many of them hate Jon and are furious that he’s getting a spin-off, while others are convinced that this is how they’re going to bring Dany back.

HBO must be doing something right though. Just look at how much we’re all talking about a show that doesn’t even have a writer attached yet.

This was such a wonderful surprise! I am looking forward to this show, so I hope it all goes through. I do hope that GRRM  will be actively involved, but I will take Kit's involvement to mean that the story will be good in the meantime. 

9 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’ve seen a lot more excitement for this than HOTD. HOTD is facing an uphill battle, since it’s new characters with mostly unknown actors, but even if you look at Google trends, the sequel is clearly overshadowing the prequel. But there are a lot of naysayers too, who feel like it’s time to let GOT go and move on. The move does feel a bit desperate on HBO’s part.

You think they announced this because there isn't much interest in HotD out there?

Archived