HBO Developing Jon Snow Spin-off

Westeros

3 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I think this also puts to rest the idea that the Jon Snow story was planted to draw attention to HOTD. I guess people aren’t that interested in merch for unreleased shows, because I saw very few people talking about Day of the Dragon.

I guess HotD isn't very hot after all. Although interest might pick up closer to the premiere.

I wonder if Rose Leslie may return as Ygritte in new dreams or visions. If it's her husband's projects she's likely to want to support him in some way. Also more likely we will see Val or Discount Val.

I don't really think HOTD is failing. The numbers on trailers alone is pretty good, and it hasn't even aired yet. HBO has always been upfront on the possibility of working on multiple spin-offs at once.

I think that the first season of HOTD will probably do well, although it has the economy working against it at the moment. That said, I don’t believe Twitter numbers. There’s enough of an overlap between the Twitter and YouTube demographics that there wouldn’t be that much of a discrepancy if there wasn’t some manipulation involved.

I think that a certain subculture was born out of the last few season of GOT that has fun hating the show, similar to how there’s a similar subculture around hating Star Wars (and now LOTR). Both started out of genuine anger and disappointment, but I think for a lot of people it’s just fun at this point. I suspect a lot of people will hate-watch the GOT spin-offs.

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I guess HotD isn't very hot after all. Although interest might pick up closer to the premiere.

I think a lot of people are probably confused as to who the characters are. Most people probably think older Rhaenyra is younger Rhaenyra’s mother, especially since Matt Smith is playing both younger and older Daemon.

Going to be hard to be hate-watch something if it doesn't turn out to actually be bad.

Maybe people are confused about the cast now (that's fine, the story's not out yet - a lot also found it hard to put names to faces early in GoT) but that likely won't be the case after the show communicates a likely timeskip where the actors are replaced

I also don't really want to believe in a conspiracy of HOTD being popular rather than a lot of people at least intrigued by what a fresh new take on the setting would be

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

Going to be hard to be hate-watch something if it doesn't turn out to actually be bad.

Maybe people are confused about the cast now (that's fine, the story's not out yet - a lot also found it hard to put names to faces early in GoT) but that likely won't be the case after the show communicates a likely timeskip where the actors are replaced

I also don't really want to believe in a conspiracy of HOTD being popular rather than a lot of people at least intrigued by what a fresh new take on the setting would be

Most of the newer Star Wars stuff is good (in my opinion) and there are still tons of people determined to hate all of it. HOTD might be great. But I think there will be a portion of fans who are going to be determined to hate it no matter what. Because for whatever reason, that is enthralling for some people.

As for the Twitter numbers. . . eh, it’s Twitter. I don’t think it’s a conspiracy to say that things are a little off there in general.

45 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Most of the newer Star Wars stuff is good (in my opinion) and there are still tons of people determined to hate all of it. HOTD might be great. But I think there will be a portion of fans who are going to be determined to hate it no matter what. Because for whatever reason, that is enthralling for some people.

I mean, "great" is very subjective depending on what you're looking for as a viewer. There are people who genuinely love GoT season 8, John Campea being one prominent example. It doesn't mean that people who criticise it don't have legitimate issues with it. Same with the new Star Wars.

17 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I mean, "great" is very subjective depending on what you're looking for as a viewer. There are people who genuinely love GoT season 8, John Campea being one prominent example. It doesn't mean that people who criticise it don't have legitimate issues with it. Same with the new Star Wars.

I agree that there are plenty of things to criticize both GOT and Star Wars for. My point is that some people genuinely do enjoy hate-watching. That’s it.

21 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

A "modicum of sense" is a pretty low bar, especially for a premium network like HBO. :(

I hope that if it's Kit's idea, it's very much getting closure and redeeming his character. He has spoken about dealing with alcoholism, depression and going to rehab, and the notion that he couldn't play Jon Snow again being apart from that. Maybe it's a way for him to reclaim "his" Jon from Benioff and Weiss. Knowing Kit I'm going to be charitable to him and assume it's something like that rather than 'Game of Thrones Season 9'.

7 hours ago, Vaith said:

I don't really think HOTD is failing. The numbers on trailers alone is pretty good, and it hasn't even aired yet. HBO has always been upfront on the possibility of working on multiple spin-offs at once.

Agreed. The show hasn't even started yet. I think it's way too speculative right now to say it's not going to be popular.

22 minutes ago, Vaith said:

I hope that if it's Kit's idea, it's very much getting closure and redeeming his character. He has spoken about dealing with alcoholism, depression and going to rehab, and the notion that he couldn't play Jon Snow again being apart from that. Maybe it's a way for him to reclaim "his" Jon from Benioff and Weiss. Knowing Kit I'm going to be charitable to him and assume it's something like that rather than 'Game of Thrones Season 9'.

The problem here is that kit's interviews and his previous series gunpowder are very far from inspiring confidence. 

And I don t see how a Jon snow spin off can be anything else than a GOT8.5... If they won t show us the consequences of what happened in Got why make this? 

What I can agree is that other Got important characters won t appear in every episode. 

Archived