HBO Developing Jon Snow Spin-off

Westeros

On 8/28/2022 at 1:22 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

It could be that Sansa dies without an heir and he has to return to rule Winterfell.

Well, I've hoped that it would be more of a ruling couple with Sansa. To paraphrase The Young Victoria, someone to play the game with her, not for her.

On 9/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

The question now is what this show will even be about. What is Jon going to do in one season that’s important enough to justify coming back?

Explaining why the Night's Watch still exists should take a full season.

I'm fine with this show retconning season 8 and if they manage to convince Emilia Clarke to come back then Daenerys can be resurrected by Kinvara (who can take Melisandre's original role) and redeem herself. It's still a shame that we will never get the three heads of the dragon though, considering two dragons are dead.

On 9/2/2022 at 9:20 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

The question now is what this show will even be about. What is Jon going to do in one season that’s important enough to justify coming back?

It should be about whatever the Promised Prince was actually supposed to accomplish  - which was completely cut from the GoT show, but had been set up in the books and is being constantly hyped up in HoTD.  How they do it in detail would in part depend on which actors agreed to return, etc. They'd have to ret-con the "Short Night" into a mere skirmish, but it would only feel logical and be entirely in the spirit of humanity getting easily distracted from  existential threats, which is supposed to be one of the main themes of ASoIaF.

Only one season _is_ a problem - though if HoTD demonstrates that time jumps are viable, then they can work with that to bring more weight to the proceedings. But I suspect that it was always supposed to be a mini-series "with continuation potential".

2 hours ago, Maia said:

It should be about whatever the Promised Prince was actually supposed to accomplish  - which was completely cut from the GoT show, but had been set up in the books and is being constantly hyped up in HoTD.  How they do it in detail would in part depend on which actors agreed to return, etc. They'd have to ret-con the "Short Night" into a mere skirmish, but it would only feel logical and be entirely in the spirit of humanity getting easily distracted from  existential threats, which is supposed to be one of the main themes of ASoIaF.

Only one season _is_ a problem - though if HoTD demonstrates that time jumps are viable, then they can work with that to bring more weight to the proceedings. But I suspect that it was always supposed to be a mini-series "with continuation potential".

Plenty of fanfics do operate on the premise that the Night King was just an outrider.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/8/2022 at 8:39 AM, Maia said:

I’m willing to accept some cheap ret-conning if it means we get actual satisfying endings with the characters. In some cases the ret-conning will have to be a little cheap since there is no other way to do it. Like bringing Dany back might end up being a little contrived and maybe silly but if in the end we can see her get a good ending to her story I think it’s worth it. Same with the white walkers. And depending on how many actors want to return I would consider making it a multiple season project so that there is enough room for all of those returning characters to get satisfying endings as well.
The good thing is that there is enough book material that was never introduced in GOT (or introduced but dropped later) that can be introduced in this show like Val, Lightbringer, the prince that was promised, the horn of winter, etc. However, GOT continuity is already different from the books, so I would embrace this show as an alternate ending from the books. So all those things that can be introduced from the books will play out differently in this show. Besides there are still many possibilities for how the plots in the books will play out. For example, what is “Lightbringer”? It can be Dany’s dragons, Stanis’ sword, Longclaw after it has been tempered with Nissa Nissa, the blade “Dawn” from House Dayne, etc. In the show they can choose to reveal one of these to be true and follow that plot point, and yeah do the same with every other plot point. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/2/2022 at 3:20 PM, The Bard of Banefort said:

He has to go The Lands of Always Winter and discover The Others not only aren't gone but that the actual threat hasn't been neutralized. Bran, the corporeal form of Bloodraven, has to be discovered being the one causing all the weird/evil shit like warging into/taking control of Daenerys at the end and making her go insane thus paving his way to claim The Iron Throne. And personally speaking, Jon has to enter into a political marriage/alliance with The Kingdom of the North by taking his cousin Sansa's hand in marriage. Leave the season on a cliffhanger of The North preparing for a new war against The Iron Throne to see if enough interest is garnered in continuing with a full fledged series.

They should just renamed the spin off as Game of Thrones season 9.

About the story they could introduce a new group of whitewalkers and show their goals as different from the Night King (why not call them "the others"?).

Some stuff cut from the books could be re- introduced as Lady Stoneheart ,Tysha's plot (Tyrion would have a motivation) and the reintroduction of Quaithe .

14 hours ago, Corvo the Crow said:

Jon should take a WW as wife to prove himself to be a real Man (of the Watch) worthy of bearing the title of Lord Commander. We've never been shown any female WW if I recall and in fact only a handful of them were ever shown. He can go raid a WW settlement and steal a WW bride from one of their lords, chiefs, whatever leader. No Lord Commander is a true Lord Commander unless they get themselves a corpse bride, this is known.

Unless they're a single sex race.

On 9/8/2022 at 1:39 PM, Maia said:

This is interesting. I could definitely see it being the plot of this show.

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/23/2022 at 9:43 PM, Maia said:

I wrote this for another thread, but it fits here even better:

Jon will get his high-fantasy/horror? arc against the Others that was excised from GoT, and the outcome of that last is going to be treated as merely a respite, a False Spring. What else of interest is there still for him to do? Overthrow Sansa?:rolleyes:.

In hindsight, it seems that GRRM's subversion intent has always been limited to a Fisher King archetype becoming the "high king" rather than an  Arthurian archetype, who would be the the prophesised savior, but remain largely unknown and unaknowledged. The idea that a woman might play either of these roles was clearly a step too far for him and only used as a diversion. 

In fact, the initial outline* spells rather clearly IMHO that Tyrion, Jon and Bran - i.e. "dwarfs, bastards and broken things"  were supposed to be the overall main characters, with everybody else being merely a source of conflict or motivation for these 3. So, "Snow" could just go back to the roots, as it were, and somewhat redeem all the various set-ups of the Others, the Long Night, the prophecies, etc. Since the main political part is done, and Dinklage is unlikely to want to come back, they could even dispense with Tyrion at this point. There could be some limited politicking between various northern and wildling factions instead, if called for.

*Which clearly demonstrates, along with WoIAF an FaB that GRRM's "gardening", despite all the annoyance and delays that it caused, tends to greatly improve on his original ideas.

P.S. Re-doing season 8 is clearly a pipe dream, but salvaging the Long Night/ menace of the Others/prophecies  is doable and even indicated, if they want Westeros to be a franchise. Build in a time skip, so that physical changes of the  actors don't feel jarring.

P.S.S. I hope that they wouldn't try to put back in side-plots that clearly have been already overtaken by the show narrative and aren't relevant  any more - i.e. UnCat, Arianne, etc. Unless they can be somehow re-tooled to tie into new and different arcs.

Hopefully, we’d learn that Yara or the Dornish or the Dothraki had put Tyrion to death in some creative and amusing fashion.

Archived