HBO Developing Jon Snow Spin-off

Westeros

On 9/6/2022 at 9:42 PM, Farerb said:

It's still a shame that we will never get the three heads of the dragon though, considering two dragons are dead.

Very unlikely that "three heads of the dragon" means "three dragonriders." That would be super lame.

On 11/30/2022 at 1:44 AM, Potsk said:

Very unlikely that "three heads of the dragon" means "three dragonriders."

Rhaegar says the three heads would be his two children and a third one that he wants to have. (There must be one more. The dragon has three heads). He claims that those three heads of the dragon are needed to fulfill the prophecy.

So... three heads of a dragon are needed. Dany has three dragons. Dragons are creatures of fire, naturally opposed to the icy-Others. I don't see why those three heads being the three dragonriders at the end is something "very unlikely". It seems to me that it's a fairly probable scenario.

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

Rhaegar says the three heads would be his two children and a third one that he wants to have. (There must be one more. The dragon has three heads). He claims that those three heads of the dragon are needed to fulfill the prophecy.

So... three heads of a dragon are needed. Dany has three dragons. Dragons are creatures of fire, naturally opposed to the icy-Others. I don't see why those three heads being the three dragonriders at the end is something "very unlikely". It seems to me that it's a fairly probable scenario.

Because it's a literal interpretation of something highly cryptic. Just as lame as Lightbringer being an actual sword.

I'm more inclined towards the theory that the three heads of the dragon is one dragonrider. A rider, a dragon, and a soul placed inside said dragon via bloodmagic. That's what Rhaegar means by "there must be one more." He has the prince that was promised, now he needs a child born of ice and fire to sacrifice to a dragon (or wyvern? maybe he meant to find a wyvern and turn it into a dragon the way the ancients did). This connects Nissa Nissa/Lightbringer to the prophecy. And Jon is Nissa Nissa, at least in Rhaegar's mind at the time.

Head 1: Azor Ahai, the prince that was promised

Head 2: Nissa Nissa, the sacrifice

Head 3: Lightbringer, the dragon

@Potsk

Your contrived and obscure proposal doesn't sound at all to what Martin uses to write.

What's the problem with "literal interpretations"? Let's look at the fulfilled prophecies so far: When Jojen dreamed of "Reek" skinning "Bran and Rickon" it was a literal vision. The House of the Undying's man with a wolf head in a feast of slaughtered corpses was literal too. Patchface prophecized the literal "fool's blood, king's blood, chains for the guests and chains for the bridgegroom".

More straightforward prophecies: Daeron the Drunk dreamed of "a dragon" falling on top of Duncan, and Daemon II dreamed of him in a white cloak. Melisandre dreams of both Renly's death and "Renly" defeating Stannis at King's Landing. Jojen sees "the sea" flooding Winterfell. The glass candles show "Kraken and dark flame, lion and griffin, the sun’s son and the mummer’s dragon."

I don't see why there's any need to come up with convoluted interpretations when everything that Martin has given us so far is always obvious in retrospect.

• 2 weeks later...

These fan conventions are way too small to make any announcements at, so I never expected to hear anything besides perhaps some allusions to it (which we got, from Kit's remarks on how he sees Jon at the end of the series as not being alright). 

2 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Wasn’t this convention sponsored by HBO though? It would make sense to announce a new show at one of their own functions.

They licensed it, but again, it was a pretty small thing, as offical fan conventions for other franchises tend to be. SDCC is more the place for big announcements and reveals.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd actually like to see the show exploring the faultlines, that were plainly left running through the Seven Kingdoms, and Essos, at the end.

Daenerys remains dead, but her ghost hovers over the tale, like Rhaegar's in ASOIAF.  In the East, there are plenty of people who are now very hostile to the governments of Westeros.  War rages between the slave powers, and the free peoples.  On the basis that my enemy's enemy is my friend, both Bran and Sansa cut deals with the slave powers, in return for the money and luxuries they can provide. 

Dorne and the Iron Islands see no reason why they should not be independent, if the North is to be.  Both rebel against Bran's rule.

For Sansa, uneasy lies the crown.  She learns that being good at plotting is not the same as being a good ruler.  The Northern lords are fractious, and some regard Sansa as a prize, through whom they can rule.  Famine is an ever-present threat in the North, which suffers from Ironborn raids. 

In the Reach, there is massive resentment at being ruled by an illiterate sellsword.  Eventually, the Reach lords rebel against Bronn.  

Bran's Small Council is detested.  Tyrion is a kinslayer and multiple traitor.  Sam is unqualified, and hugely resented by the Citadel, whose right to elect their own Grand Maester has been removed. Bran himself is seen as both weird and sinister. 

Increasingly, people look to Jon to sort out the mess.  Bran and Sansa both conclude that he is a threat to their respective thrones ...

Archived