Jaime's character analysis posts?

princesspea

Hi all! I was really hoping someone could help me find a series of posts that I read on this forum a few years ago. Similar to the From Pawn to Player wonderful Sansa's character analysis series, these posts were more focused on Brienne and Jaime. The author re-read the character's chapters and analysed them and their themes - Beauty and the Beauty tropes and in what ways the story followed or subverted them, the ideals of Knightly Honour and how the characters related to it etc. Does anobody have any idea where they might be? Any help is appreciated.

Le Cygne contributed to the Rethinking Romance threads, which there are two threads.  I can't remember if the Jamie/Brienne was analyzed or not.    

Rethinking Romance (1)    :wub:

Rethinking Romance 2       :love:

Many good essays in those threads so take a look.   

There is also a Resource page for many of the past rereads:

Reread resource page    this gathers together older rereads, large and small.  Worth a look.

Enjoy!    :read:

On 6/18/2022 at 4:50 PM, princesspea said:

Hi all! I was really hoping someone could help me find a series of posts that I read on this forum a few years ago. Similar to the From Pawn to Player wonderful Sansa's character analysis series, these posts were more focused on Brienne and Jaime. The author re-read the character's chapters and analysed them and their themes - Beauty and the Beauty tropes and in what ways the story followed or subverted them, the ideals of Knightly Honour and how the characters related to it etc. Does anobody have any idea where they might be? Any help is appreciated.

Jaime does not represent knightly honor or any kind of honor.  I don't think Martin is implying that Jaime has better morals.  Jaime is one of the villains in the pages.  So he did something good for Brienne.  It means nothing.  He is not repudiation of honor and chivalry. 

12 minutes ago, James Fenimore Cooper XXII said:

He is not repudiation of honor and chivalry. 

When the most honourable sit around and tell Jaime to do nothing while the king horribly abuses the queen, and then Jaime becomes the realm's most dishonourable by saving a million people from becoming ash, what do you think the point GRRM is making if not that honour is in practice a flawed ideal?

Archived