Theon's future role in aSoiaF

Evolett

Many in the fandom see Theon being sacrificed to the Old Gods,  to R’hllor or even to raise Jon Snow.  However, the author appears  to have left some other avenues open to him. His POV’s have already given us valuable insights into events and characters in the North and I would like them to continue. There are three loose ends that may keep Theon amongst the living for a while yet, the first being the most obvious:

1. The Kingsmoot
Tristifer Botley reminds Asha of an historic kingsmoot that took place in the absence of Torgon, eldest son of the deceased King Urragon III Greyiron, his brothers having sent him no word, hoping one of them would be chosen. Urragon Goodbrother was chosen instead. He slew Torgon’s brothers and ruled for 2 years. When Torgon returned to the Iron Islands he declared the Kingsmoot unlawful since he had not been there to make his claim. Priests, captains and lords supported Torgon, rising against Urragon and Torgon became king, ruling for 40 years.

Theon could not put forth his claim at the Kingsmoot that chose Euron as King. I can see this precedent playing a role in deposing Euron, not necessarily to put Theon on the Seastone Chair but to pave the way for Asha most likely, or for someone else. As Balon Greyjoy’s only remaining son, Theon would have to take the initiative for this to happen.

2. Theon’s archery skills
Theon is considered a pretty good archer and in the beginning we get the impression that the bow is his preferred weapon. He contributes to saving Bran from the clutches of the NW-deserter with his skills. Jon thinks of Theon’s remarks about grey goose feathers as he organizes the archery division of the NW defense against the wildlings:

As he notched it to his string, he remembered something that Theon Greyjoy had once said after a hunt. “The boar can keep his tusks and the bear his claws,” he had declared, smiling that way he did. “There’s nothing half so mortal as a grey goose feather.”

Anguy, the expert bowman who won the archery contest during the Hand’s tourney at King’s Landing before joining the BWB also fletches his arrows with grey goose feathers. We are properly introduced to him in one of Arya’s chapters which has me thinking we should be making a connection between Anguy/Arya and Theon/fArya and the possibility Theon might get to demonstrate his skills at a later date. Also, the author highlighted the Bran rescue scene by having Robb chastise Theon over his actions so the incident stands out and there has been no follow-up so far. There is the issue of his missing fingers and whether he could even manage a bow. The CotF come to mind however; despite having only three fingers and a thumb their wood-dancers were obviously quite skilled with weirwood bows, so why not Theon? I for one would like to see him find a chink in Euron’s armour to pick him off with an expert shot in the right spot. 

3. Theon joining the Night’s Watch
This third option links somewhat to the previous one. Maester Luwin once urged Theon to join the NW rather than attempt to hold Winterfell. The scene begins with a reference to the grey goose feathers:

When he turned, Maester Luwin was behind him. “Go away,” Theon told him. “I have had enough of your counsel.” “And life? Have you had enough of that, my lord prince?” He raised the bow. “One more word and I’ll put this shaft through your heart.” “You won’t.” Theon bent the bow, drawing the grey goose feathers back to his cheek. “Care to make a wager?”

And ends with Theon seriously thinking of taking the maester’s counsel:

A brother of the Night’s Watch. It meant no crown, no sons, no wife … but it meant life, and life with honor. Ned Stark’s own brother had chosen the Watch, and Jon Snow as well. I have black garb aplenty, once I tear the krakens off. Even my horse is black. I could rise high in the Watch—chief of rangers, likely even Lord Commander. Let Asha keep the bloody islands, they’re as dreary as she is. If I served at Eastwatch, I could command my own ship, and there’s fine hunting beyond the Wall. As for women, what wildling woman wouldn’t want a prince in her bed? A slow smile crept across his face. A black cloak can’t be turned. I’d be as good as any man …

But then the army Ramsay promised arrives…

Perhaps these thoughts foreshadow his fate. Theon is of high birth and should be given the chance to take the black. He was schooled with Lord Eddard’s sons at Winterfell and is knowledgeable about the North and House Stark’s bannermen. He is trained in arms with battle experience. His ploy to take Winterfell was ingenious and once recovered from his odeal and clear over his identity, he has it in him to be a good battle commander. Those who want him dead might relent when they learn he did not kill Bran and Rickon. Lord Manderly is already aware of this, at least where Rickon is concerned. The NW will be in a state of disarray after Jon’s demise. So many senior men have been lost or will be lost. His thoughts on serving at Eastwatch or even rising to Lord Commander could become reality.
The ravens scream “tree, tree” and “Theon, Theon.” Perhaps this is a sign of his impending execution beneath the weirwood or maybe it’s an invitation to hear what Bran and Bloodraven plan for him. For all we know Theon might be called upon to form a new version of Bloodraven’s Raven’s Teeth to defend the Wall.

So what do you think? Are any of these options feasible and if so under what circumstances do you think they might transpire?

I'd say that from what we know of him so far, Theon Greyjoy is a broken man. He has been mutilated beyond recognition (even by his own sister), he's been gelded, and he's lost so many digits that any physical activity seems to be difficult. 

The only possible use he'd have left is overturning the Kingsmoot, but I doubt anyone would ever take his claim seriously.

9 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

I'd say that from what we know of him so far, Theon Greyjoy is a broken man. He has been mutilated beyond recognition (even by his own sister), he's been gelded, and he's lost so many digits that any physical activity seems to be difficult. 

The only possible use he'd have left is overturning the Kingsmoot, but I doubt anyone would ever take his claim seriously.

The Ironborn don't necesarilly have to know anything about his mutilation/s. He just has to act as if he was Theon Greyjoy. That being said, when would the Ironborn possibly return for Theon to question the rule of anyone, and how would he get to them if that would be the case?

1 hour ago, Daeron the Daring said:

The Ironborn don't necesarilly have to know anything about his mutilation/s. He just has to act as if he was Theon Greyjoy. That being said, when would the Ironborn possibly return for Theon to question the rule of anyone, and how would he get to them if that would be the case?

Anyone who looks at him is going to know what he’s been through. He can’t exactly hide it with a hat and some sunglasses, can he?
As for how he’ll get back to the Iron Islands, I don’t think he will. I think Stannis is going to have him killed in front of the weirwood and it’s going to affect Bran somehow.

I'd be surprised (not Ned Stark surprised but maybe Oberon Martell surprised) if they killed Theon before the end. Damphair's assertion that the Seastone Chair can only be sat by a godly man seems to be a direct point to Theon. After his Winds preview chapter it seems so likely that he'll be beheaded that there's no way he'll be beheaded - at least in the short term( I think I'm starting to get this).  The  book always stops short of explicitly stating that he's unable to reproduce anymore... we may be getting a little bit set up there (another would be monarch we know believes herself to be barren and it isn't impeding her ambition in the least anyway).  I think that Theon is going to play an important role in the aftermath as a bridge builder between the north and the iron islands and I don't think that the fact that by then he may look like the Grey king come again is going to work against him in the least.

20 hours ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Despite being severly broken in body and mind to the extent that he had internalized "Reek," thinking to himself that he must pretend to be a prince again, Theon mastered the situation at Moat Cailin quite well. He was assertive enough to convince at least one man, making it easier for him to deliver the Ironborn to Ramsay. Same thing at the wedding of Jeyne to Ramsay - here he succeeds in propping Jeyne up too. And he was daring enough to go through with the escape. Beside his frequent worries as to what Ramsay would inflict on him next, I find him an excellent observer and assessor of the activities going on in the castle at Winterfell. There appears to potential there just waiting to be tapped. 

44 minutes ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

Damphair's assertion that the Seastone Chair can only be sat by a godly man seems to be a direct point to Theon.

I take it you’re referring to the Theon means “godly” wordplay here. Yes, that’s another possible clue. And I have another one: in the OP I mention the combination of expert archer Anguy/Arya and Theon/fArya being a hint that Theon's archery skills might play a future role. Well, some more wordplay for those who enjoy it:
Anguy / Un-guy. If Theon has been gelded, then he is an un-guy. 

2 hours ago, Aejohn the Conqueroo said:

I'd be surprised (not Ned Stark surprised but maybe Oberon Martell surprised) if they killed Theon before the end.

Word, I'd be full on Kraznys.

Damphair's assertion that the Seastone Chair can only be sat by a godly man seems to be a direct point to Theon.

The line I like is what is dead may never die, which can only mean Theon

After his Winds preview chapter it seems so likely that he'll be beheaded that there's no way he'll be beheaded - at least in the short term( I think I'm starting to get this). 

(Nah bro. You got this.)

The  book always stops short of explicitly stating that he's unable to reproduce anymore... we may be getting a little bit set up there (another would be monarch we know believes herself to be barren and it isn't impeding her ambition in the least anyway). 

Cool connection! Nice pick up!

I think that Theon is going to play an important role in the aftermath as a bridge builder between the north and the iron islands and I don't think that the fact that by then he may look like the Grey king come again is going to work against him in the least.

Word, this is my thinking as well. GRRM created an entire world, but actuallyonly one castle matters. He also expanded on our pov giving us insight in the dynastic powerhouses of Greyjoy and Lannister, but really, only one family matters.

Fortunately for our two main Greyjoy and Lannister povs, they're practically Stark. And I believe will be the two main proponents of peace and stability in Winterfell 

Lol crazy ass Ironborn

The  book always stops short of explicitly stating that he's unable to reproduce anymore...

I have many reasons to believe that he won't just simply be executed.

But now that you mention it, I don't get why does George makes us speculate about his *yeaaaa*, if there isn't anything left to speculate about. Just, why the teasing. Unless, you know. I think we really figuring this one out.:whip:

I agree he will facilitate in handing off leadership of the Iron Islands (what's left of them after Euron uses them all up) to Asha.

Eventually Jon will march south on Westeros and Theon will get a rather literal chance at redemption. He'll have an opportunity to make good on all those vows and promises he made about Eddard and vowed to Robb and Catelyn by fighting and dying loyally for a brother Stark in a righteous war on the south. He'll probably do something or things key for Jon before a heroic death. Some more speculation.

Knowing how important it is to turn up to the Twins with a plan he may come up with the idea for the Ironborn to come at it from the West by using their longships down river and carrying them overland.

Possibly will help bring down a dragon with his archery. There's a deep connection between Bran and Theon, he might shoot weirwood arrows that Bran steers in flight or something magical like.

13 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Possibly will help bring down a dragon with his archery. There's a deep connection between Bran and Theon, he might shoot weirwood arrows that Bran steers in flight or something magical like.

Nice one. Would add another layer to Bran's weirwood vision of the past too. 

51 minutes ago, chrisdaw said:

Except that he apparently can't shoot arrows anymore due to his lost fingers. And really, all those other ideas feel like wishful thinking to me. Even if Theon does nullify the previous kingsmoot, that doesn't mean he'll be able to win over the Ironborn to make him their king. He'd never have power for himself, let alone give it to Asha. Asha is more likely to win the throne herself, it won't be Theon who gives it to her. Theon's gone quite the distance in growth, so he won't see Asha as a rival for his seat, he'll see her as the worthy heir. 

But that's assuming he's getting out of his current situation alive, because I have no idea how that'll happen unless Stannis is utterly defeated just before he can execute Theon, but that also means Ramsay Bolton will have him back, which is worse than death.

5 minutes ago, Floki of the Ironborn said:

Except that he apparently can't shoot arrows anymore due to his lost fingers. And really, all those other ideas feel like wishful thinking to me. Even if Theon does nullify the previous kingsmoot, that doesn't mean he'll be able to win over the Ironborn to make him their king. He'd never have power for himself, let alone give it to Asha. Asha is more likely to win the throne herself, it won't be Theon who gives it to her. Theon's gone quite the distance in growth, so he won't see Asha as a rival for his seat, he'll see her as the worthy heir. 

But that's assuming he's getting out of his current situation alive, because I have no idea how that'll happen unless Stannis is utterly defeated just before he can execute Theon, but that also means Ramsay Bolton will have him back, which is worse than death.

It's not wishful thinking, I have no emotional attachment to Theon, it's an attempted explanation for inclusions in a fantasy story, because nothing is in there by accident, not a vision of a person carving weirwood arrows, a history of dragons being hit with arrows/bolts in the eyes or the history of Ironborn landing at Seagard and carrying longships overland.

There will be a theme, themes even, and obviously Theon relates heavily to redemption, but I believe Theon will come to represent a theme for Jon too. The new all warmth fled from him Jon will judge harshly and execute numerously for past transgressions, and Theon very much deserves death, however, Theon has use, if not as a puppet figurehead for the Ironborn then as a hostage to ensure Asha's loyalty. Jon, with the survival of humanity at stake, will not have the luxury of executing everyone who deserves it in the name of justice, and having made the right decision to spare Theon for the greater good will be overcompensated to prove the point.

I said facilitate in handing off power to Asha, that's a broad description that doesn't require he win anything, him simply withdrawing himself and telling what IB approach him to instead follow Asha works fine.

Yes it is all assuming Theon gets out of his current situation alive, an assumption most are glossing over without much care because otherwise it'd be half an arc.

Archived