Your Opinions 5: Is GRRM a "bad writer?"

Jaenara Belarys

22 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Something I wish that GRRM included was a look into Robert’s relationship with Myrcella and Tommen. We know he wasn’t a responsible or attentive father, but he was also someone who wanted to be loved and have fun, and I feel like he would have gotten that from the younger two. I could see him doting on Myrcella in particular.

I just don't think Robert was an all around good father. He seemed happy enough on the surface, but under all of those smiles and laughter the guy is clearly suffering from depression.

3 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Something I wish that GRRM included was a look into Robert’s relationship with Myrcella and Tommen. We know he wasn’t a responsible or attentive father, but he was also someone who wanted to be loved and have fun, and I feel like he would have gotten that from the younger two. I could see him doting on Myrcella in particular.

This was a guy who was happy for one of his daughters to be driving mules,  and for another to be sucking cocks for a living, and for his son to work as a smith.  As king.  A typical king provides lands and good marriages to his illegitimate children.

No, I don’t think he cared about Myrcella.  

9 hours ago, butterweedstrover said:

He’s is (was) 14, no one even made a shot at him even though he looks like an easy target. Whereas Robb is described as muscular and bulky Jon is soft and lean like from an adventure book. 

His biggest antagonists are schoolboy bullies and once he meets the girl his performance is top notch. 

meanwhile Dany is (according to Martin) a hot girl with dragons so framing her as a sexualized object is easy. 

the point is none of this has to do with realism, just where Martin’s libido leads him. 

If Dany does finish up with Jon’s knife in her heart, on Tyrion’s urging, then it would seem that her role in the tale was to be abused by the men in her life.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

If Dany does finish up with Jon’s knife in her heart, on Tyrion’s urging, then it would seem that her role in the tale was to be abused by the men in her life.

I don’t know whether to laugh or cry. 

1996 was a different era and the bastard boy as secret prince still wasn’t worn out. Dany I guess was suppose to be the foil: an open queen with no secret bloodline liberating slaves. 

The plot twist would be that Jon is the handsome prince with an even better claim and Dany, the pure hearted saint is actually insane. 

11 hours ago, SeanF said:

This was a guy who was happy for one of his daughters to be driving mules,  and for another to be sucking cocks for a living, and for his son to work as a smith.  As king.  A typical king provides lands and good marriages to his illegitimate children.

I think Robert would have thought better doing what they are now rather than dead; Cersei threatened to kill Mya if he ever brought her to court, so Robert probably decided on a hands-off approach afterwards. Note that after Robert was dead, Cersei did have them killed by the City Watch and had possibly been doing it beforehand if you believe Varys’ account of Cersei having a pair of bastards born in the Westerlands murdered and their mother sold into slavery.

18 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

I think Robert would have thought better doing what they are now rather than dead; Cersei threatened to kill Mya if he ever brought her to court, so Robert probably decided on a hands-off approach afterwards. Note that after Robert was dead, Cersei did have them killed by the City Watch and had possibly been doing it beforehand if you believe Varys’ account of Cersei having a pair of bastards born in the Westerlands murdered and their mother sold into slavery.

Robert doesn't have to bring them to court to provide for them.  Robert just didn't care.

14 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I can only remember the children being affectionate with Tyrion, I don't remember any hint of affection between them and the Lannisters or Baratheons.

2 hours ago, frenin said:

I can only remember the children being affectionate with Tyrion, I don't remember any hint of affection between them and the Lannisters or Baratheons.

In Jaime's case it was actively discouraged.

14 hours ago, SeanF said:

The reaction'll probably be the same or as close to the show's reaction. 

I'd be ticked off if that was the ending. 

8 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

On a similar note, I wish there were more interactions between Ned and Robb/Jon. We don't get much apart from the stuff in the first AGoT chapter.

Ned and Theon is what I'd be interested in as well.

2 hours ago, frenin said:

Jaime can act as their uncle.

Well, even if we discount Jaime, who else could have stepped in and set a good example? Tywin could have and I personally feel that Tywin never tried to mold Joffrey into a King he'd want, but he didn't for some reason. Tyrion wouldn't have gotten anyone's respect; partially due to Cersei disliking him (she held a lot of influence at court) and his own lascivious behavior after 286 AC, and Stannis and Renly never expressed much interest until Stannis started asking questions about Joffrey's paternity (either I'm surprised it took so long to figure out or the evidence is rather strange thanks to the hair color thing).

2 minutes ago, Angel Eyes said:

Well, even if we discount Jaime, who else could have stepped in and set a good example? Tywin could have and I personally feel that Tywin never tried to mold Joffrey into a King he'd want, but he didn't for some reason.

Tywin was absent from King's Landing until ASoS, so I don't think he even noticed how twisted Joffrey was until it was too late.

Well to be fair, Edric was taken care of and (as is implied by the text) well-educated at the Baratheon ancestral seat. And again, in all fairness, he had wanted to bring Mya Stone to court at King's Landing.

But I agree. He didn't try very hard. He could've set up Mya real good in the Vale or the Stormlands. With his influence, he could even secure a marriage between Mya and her crush, Mychel Redfort

A part of me doesn't think he knew about his King's Landing illegitimate children.

Unfortunately, she would be in good company. As sad as it is, there are many, many women in real-life and in fiction who had been abused and undone by the men in their lives.

Archived