GRRM Confirms SNOW In Development

Westeros

At “Not a Blog”, George R.R. Martin goes into some detail—as far as he’s able—as he confirms the news that a Jon Snow series is in development under the working title of Snow. In the process, he confirms that Kit Harington is the originator of the series (as revealed by Emilia Clarke in a recent BBC profile), that he and his own team of writers and consultants are working with Harington’s team, and that the project has actually been in development nearly as long as projects that we learned about last year rather than being a very new development.

There’s also some Winds of Winter information, as George notes that he was recently “back with Tyrion,” and GRRM also discusses his recent (misconstrued) remarks on The Lord of the Rings: The Rings of Power as well as continuing work on short films based on the works of the great Howard Waldrop.

https://www.westeros.org/Graphics/Gallery/_medium/GameOfThrones_S2_Fist_02.jpg

View the full article

Wow.

Well if this is Kit himself pushing for “Season 8 really wasn’t ‘the perfect send off’ for my character” - if this is Kit having a Ray Fisher moment and finally breaking ranks with Benioff and Weiss…I’m all for it.

(pause)

You know, if there’s a secret FIFTH live action prequel in development…he logically wouldn’t tell us. Anymore than that there was a fourth one this entire time.

My fear now is that this will delay the live action Wild Cards series at Peacock.

1 hour ago, The Dragon Demands said:

Wow.

Well if this is Kit himself pushing for “Season 8 really wasn’t ‘the perfect send off’ for my character” - if this is Kit having a Ray Fisher moment and finally breaking ranks with Benioff and Weiss…I’m all for it.

(pause)

You know, if there’s a secret FIFTH live action prequel in development…he logically wouldn’t tell us. Anymore than that there was a fourth one this entire time.

My fear now is that this will delay the live action Wild Cards series at Peacock.

It is always funny to see asoiaf fans worried about delays in wild cards. 

I am more interested to know if the series will be only about things happening in the true north or if it will involve more places in westeros. 

3 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Welp. The Snow show has reached the top of Reddit. They’d be foolish not to make it now. Gwendoline wants to come back:

https://www.newsweek.com/gwendoline-christie-game-thrones-brienne-tarth-jon-snow-kit-harington-spinoff-1718405?amp=1

Anything that makes people think about a continuation of Got would attract a lot of attention. 

Interesting theory video from LmL just went up about the Night Queen possibly being a villain and going more into the origins of the WWs and reorienting it away from the general boring-ness of the show version of the Others. Definitely one of the more interesting plot ideas, but I still think it's a character-centric ending that Kit has envisioned for his Jon.

Based on that S8 doc, Kit was pretty horrified at the idea that Jon would kill Dany. Maybe he feels like Jon has to redeem himself in some way before he can fully retire the role.

If this show is a success, then I wonder if we’ll get a young Tywin show next. It won’t have the same actor for obvious reasons, but I actually think it could be a really good show. Maybe we’ll get to see a softer side of Tywin. It probably wouldn’t be until after DnE though.

I still think this Snow show is not a good idea... I think you simply can't base a foundation on wreckage and show Jon Snow is already too damaged as a character .  (I'm not talking about character's choices , I'm talking about how the character was written to be a bland personality-less treacherous vanilla by the end )

prequel shows in Westeros world with new set of characters and plotlines could potentially work , albeit they'd have to struggle to reach GoT's success , if they ever will , and even then they'd be repetitive over time . something that HBO doesn't seem to fathom is that in fantasy series the World itself is a big reason for people to be hooked to a show . but when you get into that world over and over again , it just gets boring .. HOTD certainly doesn't dive into new aspects of Westeros , nor does DaE if that's still in progress and I somehow doubt that Jon Snow show would get into Others' legends and etc. which could have actually be nice.

31 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

You know the idea is bad when even In Deep Geek, the most optimistic of optimists, is sceptical about it.

It's not for me.  I don't know what the show runners could possibly do with it or who would be interested.

2 hours ago, EggBlue said:

I still think this Snow show is not a good idea... I think you simply can't base a foundation on wreckage and show Jon Snow is already too damaged as a character .  (I'm not talking about character's choices , I'm talking about how the character was written to be a bland personality-less treacherous vanilla by the end )

The one redeeming factor for me is that Kit Harington is at this point unshackled from the way that D&D wrote Jon for the past four seasons. Obviously he can't 'undo' their writing at such, but putting the character in his own hands, guided by a team of talented writers could at least give him the sort of depth that no character in the original show achieved by the end - at least in the most optimistic scenario.

So if Kit Harington approached me and asked me for my ideas on a Jon Snow sequel, I guess I'd get back to him with 

- Jon has been a liaison between the free folk, the Wall, and the North, and meets Val, prominent leader among the wildlings, who is as fierce as Ygritte and as regal as Dany (I'm not a huge fan of Val's personality from the books, but someone could definitely give her depth!). Eventually, they hear of new crises, covering some beyond-the-Wall problem that didn't make it into the show.

- A good original hook would be e.g. Varamyr terrorizing people, seeing things like Thistle's death on screen. Jon eventually goes after him and starts uncovering his own skinchanger/warg powers that weren't really explored aside from the weird focus on Ghost when Mel was resurrecting him.

- Jon has more visions, involving Rose Leslie as Ygritte. Eventually they lead him to uncovering more groups of Craster-like cultists. And then, at the temple of the White Walkers, he eventually finds the Night's Queen, a woman halfway between the White Walkers and humans, who can talk, and she says that 'oh, the so-called 'Night King' was just a weakened creation of mine'. She's not just an anti-Mel in being an ice witch instead of a fire witch, but a sort of anti-Dany as a Mother of Others instead of a Mother of Dragons (perhaps even being a pale blonde like her?) acting as a vehicle for Jon to explore his guilt.

This is the point I ask GRRM for more details on what happens to Jon later, what happens in his version of the Long Night, and about the history of Westerosi magic, because I'm not super into the magical heresy stuff but it would probably be the driving force behind the plot, even if the real focus is Jon as a character. 

19 minutes ago, Vaith said:

So if Kit Harington approached me and asked me for my ideas on a Jon Snow sequel, I guess I'd get back to him with 

- Jon has been a liaison between the free folk, the Wall, and the North, and meets Val, prominent leader among the wildlings, who is as fierce as Ygritte and as regal as Dany (I'm not a huge fan of Val's personality from the books, but someone could definitely give her depth!). Eventually, they hear of new crises, covering some beyond-the-Wall problem that didn't make it into the show.

- A good original hook would be e.g. Varamyr terrorizing people, seeing things like Thistle's death on screen. Jon eventually goes after him and starts uncovering his own skinchanger/warg powers that weren't really explored aside from the weird focus on Ghost when Mel was resurrecting him.

- Jon has more visions, involving Rose Leslie as Ygritte. Eventually they lead him to uncovering more groups of Craster-like cultists. And then, at the temple of the White Walkers, he eventually finds the Night's Queen, a woman halfway between the White Walkers and humans, who can talk, and she says that 'oh, the so-called 'Night King' was just a weakened creation of mine'. She's not just an anti-Mel in being an ice witch instead of a fire witch, but a sort of anti-Dany as a Mother of Others instead of a Mother of Dragons (perhaps even being a pale blonde like her?) acting as a vehicle for Jon to explore his guilt.

This is the point I ask GRRM for more details on what happens to Jon later, what happens in his version of the Long Night, and about the history of Westerosi magic, because I'm not super into the magical heresy stuff but it would probably be the driving force behind the plot, even if the real focus is Jon as a character. 

That's an interesting option.  This is what I'd go for:

Bran is revealed as malevolent. Or rather, Bran no longer exists. His body became the host of the TER. The remarks "Why do you think I came all this way?", and "You were exactly where you needed to be ", and his appointment of Tyrion, Sam, and Bronn, as essentially his creatures, tie in with this. The regime he operates in the South is increasingly sinister, with a king who can warg minds, and spy on his subjects. He does not have perfect omniscience, so he requires a secret police force, and network of informers.

In the North, Sansa's regime is shaky. The lords don't respect a woman ruler. Some rebel, others try to bully her into marrying them. She seeks help from her brother, who sends an army (for there thousands of unemployed ex-soldiers after the wars), who she turns loose on the rebels. Short of money, she sells prisoners to Eastern slavers, to help fund her army. She's increasingly fearful that people will turn to Jon Snow, North of the Wall, and finally sends assassins after him. The assassination attempt fails, prompting Jon to retaliate.

Belatedly, Jon realises that he let himself get played by Bran, Sansa, and Sam, and Tyrion. Bran used Jon and Daenerys to defeat the Night King. But, he had no intention that either should rule. He encouraged Sam in the parentage reveal, knowing it would drive a wedge between Jon and Dany, and set in motion, a chain of events that would cause people to turn against Dany, and to fuel her fears and lash out in turn. Bran could have warned Dany of Euron's fleet, but declined, well knowing that this would drive her over the edge. Sam wanted revenge for his father and brother, and wanted Jon to kill Daenerys. Once Jon had served his purpose, he had no further interest in his "best friend's " wellbeing. Jon realises that Sam never valued him as a friend, simply as a protector. Sansa loathed Daenerys from the outset, knowing she stood in the way of her ambitions. As soon as she found out about Jon's parentage, she knew she could weaponise this information, driving a wedge between Jon and Dany, and Dany and her advisors. Varys wanted a ruler who was male, and would follow his advice. Jon was ideal. Finally, Tyrion was playing both ends against the middle. He wanted to ensure that his siblings survived the war, hence his bad advice to Dany. He turned against her finally, after they died at Kings Landing. Facing execution, he fed Jon a pack of lies and half-truths, in order to get him to murder Dany. Once Jon had killed her, he was eager to propose that Jon be sent off into exile. After proposing Bran as King, he's rewarded by being made Hand. He, Sam, and Bronn are completely venial, lining their own pockets at the expense of the Six Kingdoms.

1 hour ago, SeanF said:

That's an interesting option.  This is what I'd go for:

Bran is revealed as malevolent. Or rather, Bran no longer exists. His body became the host of the TER. The remarks "Why do you think I came all this way?", and "You were exactly where you needed to be ", and his appointment of Tyrion, Sam, and Bronn, as essentially his creatures, tie in with this. The regime he operates in the South is increasingly sinister, with a king who can warg minds, and spy on his subjects. He does not have perfect omniscience, so he requires a secret police force, and network of informers.

In the North, Sansa's regime is shaky. The lords don't respect a woman ruler. Some rebel, others try to bully her into marrying them. She seeks help from her brother, who sends an army (for there thousands of unemployed ex-soldiers after the wars), who she turns loose on the rebels. Short of money, she sells prisoners to Eastern slavers, to help fund her army. She's increasingly fearful that people will turn to Jon Snow, North of the Wall, and finally sends assassins after him. The assassination attempt fails, prompting Jon to retaliate.

Belatedly, Jon realises that he let himself get played by Bran, Sansa, and Sam, and Tyrion. Bran used Jon and Daenerys to defeat the Night King. But, he had no intention that either should rule. He encouraged Sam in the parentage reveal, knowing it would drive a wedge between Jon and Dany, and set in motion, a chain of events that would cause people to turn against Dany, and to fuel her fears and lash out in turn. Bran could have warned Dany of Euron's fleet, but declined, well knowing that this would drive her over the edge. Sam wanted revenge for his father and brother, and wanted Jon to kill Daenerys. Once Jon had served his purpose, he had no further interest in his "best friend's " wellbeing. Jon realises that Sam never valued him as a friend, simply as a protector. Sansa loathed Daenerys from the outset, knowing she stood in the way of her ambitions. As soon as she found out about Jon's parentage, she knew she could weaponise this information, driving a wedge between Jon and Dany, and Dany and her advisors. Varys wanted a ruler who was male, and would follow his advice. Jon was ideal. Finally, Tyrion was playing both ends against the middle. He wanted to ensure that his siblings survived the war, hence his bad advice to Dany. He turned against her finally, after they died at Kings Landing. Facing execution, he fed Jon a pack of lies and half-truths, in order to get him to murder Dany. Once Jon had killed her, he was eager to propose that Jon be sent off into exile. After proposing Bran as King, he's rewarded by being made Hand. He, Sam, and Bronn are completely venial, lining their own pockets at the expense of the Six Kingdoms.

You really have a grudge against most characters! I think most of what you wrote would be cool but it won t happen. 

1 hour ago, Vaith said:

My problem with these suggestions is that they are a mix between a kind of reboot or a story about a conflict between wildlings that I have no real interest to see. For example, the varamyr idea. What would the story of that show be? Jon brooding about his life choices while chasing varamyr? Him accepting that he could have been better for Danny but at that point the only choice was to kill her? 

I think that while the story will be mostly about Jon it has be about more than the wildlings. And given how got has taken most of the magic out of the story it made the wildlings even more boring... 

And there are several ways to include other characters while mostly focusing on Jon. 

Like a essos invasion because of a blackfyre (it would tide pretty well with other series), slavers capturing wildlings and Jon going into the world in order to save them, bran or Sansa dyeing leading to a sucessin crisis, people plotting against Sansa and/or bran and them needing help... 

7 minutes ago, divica said:

You really have a grudge against most characters! I think most of what you wrote would be cool but it won t happen. 

My problem with these suggestions is that they are a mix between a kind of reboot or a story about a conflict between wildlings that I have no real interest to see. For example, the varamyr idea. What would the story of that show be? Jon brooding about his life choices while chasing varamyr? Him accepting that he could have been better for Danny but at that point the only choice was to kill her? 

I think that while the story will be mostly about Jon it has be about more than the wildlings. And given how got has taken most of the magic out of the story it made the wildlings even more boring... 

And there are several ways to include other characters while mostly focusing on Jon. 

Like a essos invasion because of a blackfyre (it would tide pretty well with other series), slavers capturing wildlings and Jon going into the world in order to save them, bran or Sansa dyeing leading to a sucessin crisis, people plotting against Sansa and/or bran and them needing help... 

You could be right about that.  So, my script would read (inter alia).  

"The Imp wakes to the sound of footsteps descending into the hold of the ship.  A lamp suddenly flares, revealing an officer of the guard, surrounded by the sailors. "Welcome, traitor" says the officer. He nods to the sailors, who drag him to his feet, and take him on deck. Above him, looms the fortress of Dragonstone. On the shore, there is a welcoming party, if that is the correct term. As he is led off the ship, he sees Jon Snow, Ser Brienne,  Ser Davos Seaworth, Yara Greyjoy, and a number of courtiers and officers. None of them looks happy. And then his blood runs chill. One of the guards holds a dog on a leash, a second has a cockerel in his arms. Two others are holding a large, leather sack, of the type that is used to carry corn or other perishable goods. And, now he knows how he will die. The Parricide Sack! Like all teenage boys, he had a gruesome sense of humour, and used to gloat over stories of men who were cast into the sea to drown, in a sack with only two maddened animals for company. He imagined the panic, the horror, as the animals clawed, and bit, and fouled the man who was trapped inside with them, and he used to laugh at their fate. He laughs no longer. He can't help it, but he fouls his breeches, and falls to the ground, gibbering with fright, and babbling for mercy. "

More evidence, as if any was needed, that GRRM is no longer focused on or interested in completing Winds of Winter, he's gone so far as to sanction a Jon Snow show that happens after the events of Dream of Spring.

This sounds like a bad idea to me, it does cement the fact that I guess Jon's lineage as a Targaryen really was meaningless afterall even if he will be the one to kill the NK in the books that will never be written.

It might get decent ratings though, because Jon Snow was popular, it would presumably retain the same/similar feel as GOT and there is the always ever present possibility of Special Guest Appearance by XX...we can already see that GOT appears to have been the career peak of many of it's cast members, so they would be thrilled to get a huge boost by appearing in such a program.

Archived