GRRM Confirms SNOW In Development

Westeros

5 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

You know the idea is bad when even In Deep Geek, the most optimistic of optimists, is sceptical about it.

I wouldn't protest to a Jon Snow show, since it could have my barely concealed wish fulfillment.....you know, boat baby, and resurrected Dany beating the living daylights out of the B**** of the North, Arya, the BranBot-8000, Tyrion, that idiot Edmure, the Lords of the Vale, the lords of the Snowy Landfill (the north). You don't even need an army, just burn them with Drogon. 

My problem with a Jon Snow sequel and the prequels is that it seems to me like HBO simply wants to ride whatever's left of GoT's coattails and make a few more bucks, kind of like Disney with Kenobi (they might as well call him Jake Kenobi now, because it's essentially them destroying a favorite, and replacing them with wish fulfillment Mary Sues and Gary Stus, who'll be very inclusive and have a sucky show). 

Plus, how the hell do you recover from the sh** show that was S7-8?

I understand that not everyone needs to feel like me but I personally don't want any ASOIAF characters to be touched again before (and if) Martin finishes the books. I feel like they get abused and it makes me feel uneasy and offended to some extend. I just don't want to have any part in this, I am gonna pretend this doesn't even exist and I get annoyed that most of the actors didn't support their characters when they saw them being ruined for season after season. Kit Harrington had it coming and he went with supporting D&D insulting behaviout till the end, the same as Dinklage. It's their choice but i'm not gonna cry for them.

25 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

More evidence, as if any was needed, that GRRM is no longer focused on or interested in completing Winds of Winter, he's gone so far as to sanction a Jon Snow show that happens after the events of Dream of Spring.

This sounds like a bad idea to me, it does cement the fact that I guess Jon's lineage as a Targaryen really was meaningless afterall even if he will be the one to kill the NK in the books that will never be written.

It might get decent ratings though, because Jon Snow was popular, it would presumably retain the same/similar feel as GOT and there is the always ever present possibility of Special Guest Appearance by XX...we can already see that GOT appears to have been the career peak of many of it's cast members, so they would be thrilled to get a huge boost by appearing in such a program.

I think this might be positive for the books. 

It could mean that grrm is admitting that the ending doesn t work and is working on some changes. 

I mean, if he hasn t released winds by now we can all agree that he is completely lost. Probably realised that whatever he had planed doesn t work... 

On the other hand this might be a show 9nly about Jon and his wildling pals and therefore have no real meaning... 

46 minutes ago, Cas Stark said:

More evidence, as if any was needed, that GRRM is no longer focused on or interested in completing Winds of Winter, he's gone so far as to sanction a Jon Snow show that happens after the events of Dream of Spring.

I don't want to defend GRRM too much, but I'm not sure how much leverage and veto power he has within HBO. I assume he didn't have much veto power even during GoT, since he wasn't able to stop them from changing Jeyne Westerling's character, plus many other things.

16 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't want to defend GRRM too much, but I'm not sure how much leverage and veto power he has within HBO. I assume he didn't have much veto power even during GoT, since he wasn't able to stop them from changing Jeyne Westerling's character, plus many other things.

Didn't his own blog post say he and his 'team' were working with Kit on this new show/concept?  That doesn't sound like someone who would have used his veto if he had one, which of course he doesn't.  But, he doesn't have to support and engage with it, which, according to him, he is. Therefore, it doesn't sound at all like GRRM wishes to stop such a show or any of these shows because he's actively involved in them.  

15 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

The way the rights were sold meant that I believe he'd need to sign off on at least the basic premise of any new idea, as I don't think HBO got rights to absolutely everything (D&D got the rights to adaptation, shopped around, and HBO picked them). There's been reports that he shut down ideas of Robert's Rebellion as a pitch as he believed it was supposed to be told through the main story, not as its own story.

That being said, HBO could do something sly where they made Martin sign off on one idea in order to adapt another that he'd really wanted, like HOTD. I don't think that's true, though - as Ran said on the previous thread, he has had respect for the young actors like Kit. I also do think that some genuine enthusiasm seemed to shine through on Not A Blog.

6 minutes ago, Vaith said:

The way the rights were sold meant that I believe he'd need to sign off on at least the basic premise of any new idea, as I don't think HBO got rights to absolutely everything (D&D got the rights to adaptation, shopped around, and HBO picked them). There's been reports that he shut down ideas of Robert's Rebellion as a pitch as he believed it was supposed to be told through the main story, not as its own story.

I believe that was the initial contract, where HBO got the rights to just adapt ASOIAF. He signed a new one in 2021, where HBO got the rights to everything related to Westeros. That was reported to be a mid-8 to 9 figure deal, so I assume he traded much of his influence for more money.

Do D&D still retain the rights to ASOIAF? I don't know how it works.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a combination of two things: 1) Kit Harington wanting to "fix" his character, which he played for 10 years, a large part of his life, as a sort of closure on it, which to me may demonstrate a real interest and commitment in producing something much better than what we saw in the last seasons of GOT; and 2) HBO seeing the opportunity to continue GOT and maybe redeem the show after s8.

When people started those petitions back then, asking for another season or a do-over, I mean.....that was clearly an exaggeration, but now with all these reboots, remakes and sequels, and the expanded universes of franchises like SW....I can see how HBO may have actually started thinking about another season, or some kind of continuation, to not only keep capitalizing on the show, but to also redeem it in a way. And I think a Jon Snow-centric show is a good way for that because he was a main character and a very popular character who everyone feels was shortchanged (with reason).

And I'm glad that George is optimistic about this but then I think about the books and.... well, this is a bizarre situation all around I'd say....but I do get the pov of HBO and Kit Harington.

12 minutes ago, Lady Anna said:

Do D&D still retain the rights to ASOIAF? I don't know how it works.

The more I think about this, the more I think it's a combination of two things: 1) Kit Harington wanting to "fix" his character, which he played for 10 years, a large part of his life, as a sort of closure on it, which to me may demonstrate a real interest and commitment in producing something much better than what we saw in the last seasons of GOT; and 2) HBO seeing the opportunity to continue GOT and maybe redeem the show after s8.

When people started those petitions back then, asking for another season or a do-over, I mean.....that was clearly an exaggeration, but now with all these reboots, remakes and sequels, and the expanded universes of franchises like SW....I can see how HBO may have actually started thinking about another season, or some kind of continuation, to not only keep capitalizing on the show, but to also redeem it in a way. And I think a Jon Snow-centric show is a good way for that because he was a main character and a very popular character who everyone feels was shortchanged (with reason).

And I'm glad that George is optimistic about this but then I think about the books and.... well, this is a bizarre situation all around I'd say....but I do get the pov of HBO and Kit Harington.

I think more than to continue Got HBO should want to make it advertizable again. It is hard to make an extended universe and create buzz when people don t want to rewatch the original series.

In regards to kit I agree. It should be hard to stomach that you were 1 of the main characters of something like Got and in the end everybody hated the show and your character was ruined. 

My only doubt is if they intend to make a got s8.5 or some weird Jon snow solo show... 

4 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Mad Max: Fury Road in the frozen North?

Are the seasons still out of balance or was that somehow resolved in Season 8?  Will the various Wildling tribes repopulate the North and will they be just as cantankerous toward each other?  Is Jon even alive or is he undead?  Will he develop his skinchanging/warging abilities and come into contact with other skinchangers?  Will there be contact with the COTF and Giants?  What sort of conflict would drive the plot?  What sort of character development does Kit have in mind for Jon Snow?  How will he team up with Tormund? Presumeably he's a broken and conflicted soul.  I won't be bothered if it's not green-lit.

Corlys Velaryon is far more interesting especially with Bruno Heller writing the pilot.  I'd want to know who is on Kit's writing team.

You know, for a second, I was confused when I saw the thread's name to be "SNOW in development." My little, idle thought was "Why the hell is HBO developing snow? It falls naturally from the sky, we don't need a company to develop it for us."

Then my brain kicked in. (Though I would not protest really good artificial snow. We don't get more than an inch once or twice a year where I'm at.)

43 minutes ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

My little, idle thought was "Why the hell is HBO developing snow? It falls naturally from the sky, we don't need a company to develop it for us."

Typical pointless corporate response to global warming.

It’s nice to have something new to talk about for a change. What do you guys think the last unknown spin off pitch is about?

As much as I love DnE though, unless GRRM starts cranking out more of them, I’m not too excited for a TV show. He mentioned in a blog post earlier this year that each novella will cover one season, and I don’t see how that’s possible. You can get two hour-long episodes out of each of them at most.

28 minutes ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

It’s nice to have something new to talk about for a change. What do you guys think the last unknown spin off pitch is about?

As much as I love DnE though, unless GRRM starts cranking out more of them, I’m not too excited for a TV show. He mentioned in a blog post earlier this year that each novella will cover one season, and I don’t see how that’s possible. You can get two hour-long episodes out of each of them at most.

The Many Adventures of the Brave Companions.

Basically, like The Black Company, but with added cruelty.

The series focuses on Vargo Hoat, Septon Utt, Faithful Urswyck, Shagwell the Jester,  and Raff the Sweetling.

16 hours ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

You know the idea is bad when even In Deep Geek, the most optimistic of optimists, is sceptical about it.

All these GOT spin offs are bad ideas IMO. These shows are just the same beats over and over. These shows are a repeat from GOT just with different looking characters it’ll repetitive really quick. 

1 hour ago, The Wolves said:

All these GOT spin offs are bad ideas IMO. These shows are just the same beats over and over. These shows are a repeat from GOT just with different looking characters it’ll repetitive really quick. 

Yeah, I don’t know if they’re going to be able to do another Targ show after HOTD. They all look the same and have similar-sounding names. And chances are that the end of HOTD is going to piss off a lot of people after what happened with Daenerys. I’m curious how they’ll try to spin it.

4 hours ago, The Wolves said:

I don't think that Sea Snake and the Nymeria shows are conceptualy similar to GOT in any way.

The Nine Voyages would be a Sinbad-like show, with the crew visiting different settings and discovering new and strange places (not unlike Star Trek, in a way). The Thousand Ships would have three very diferentiated stages: the war against the Valyrians, the odissey through the Summer Sea, and the settling of Dorne.

Those are the two options that I wouldn't mind seeing greenlighted.

Archived