GRRM Confirms SNOW In Development

Westeros

17 hours ago, Jaenara Belarys said:

I wouldn't protest to a Jon Snow show, since it could have my barely concealed wish fulfillment.....you know, boat baby, and resurrected Dany beating the living daylights out of the B**** of the North, Arya, the BranBot-8000, Tyrion, that idiot Edmure, the Lords of the Vale, the lords of the Snowy Landfill (the north). You don't even need an army, just burn them with Drogon

Basically, recreate the bombing of Sheffield scene from “Threads” at Winterfell.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrHoMSRZOS4

Actually, one of the most terrifying films I've ever watched.

2 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I don't think that Sea Snake and the Nymeria shows are conceptualy similar to GOT in any way.

The Nine Voyages would be a Sinbad-like show, with the crew visiting different settings and discovering new and strange places (not unlike Star Trek, in a way). The Thousand Ships would have three very diferentiated stages: the war against the Valyrians, the odissey through the Summer Sea, and the settling of Dorne.

Those are the two options that I wouldn't mind seeing greenlighted.

My hunch is that the Nymeria show is an attempt to recreate the fan fervor around Dany from earlier seasons. I suspect it’ll be written as a direct parallel. Only this time, the sexy badass girlboss will get a happy ending.

10 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

As much as I love DnE though, unless GRRM starts cranking out more of them, I’m not too excited for a TV show. He mentioned in a blog post earlier this year that each novella will cover one season, and I don’t see how that’s possible. You can get two hour-long episodes out of each of them at most.

That's what I'm worried about as well, since stretching out the source material almost never works out. If Peter Jackson couldn't make three good movies out of the Hobbit, I doubt HBO can make a whole series out of D&E that isn't subpar.

27 minutes ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

That's what I'm worried about as well, since stretching out the source material almost never works out. If Peter Jackson couldn't make three good movies out of the Hobbit, I doubt HBO can make a whole series out of D&E that isn't subpar.

The problem with The Hobbit film is that he treated it as epic fantasy, when it is comic fantasy.

1 hour ago, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

I don't understand this comparison. The stories of DnE take place during a span of fifty years that we have some idea about, multiple generations of interesting characters and places. You can do a lot with that even aside from the stories already completed. The Hobbit is one 300 page children's book.

2 minutes ago, Bael's Bastard said:

I don't understand this comparison. The stories of DnE take place during a span of fifty years that we have some idea about, multiple generations of interesting characters and places. You can do a lot with that even aside from the stories already completed. The Hobbit is one 300 page children's book.

Each D&E story is about 100 pages or so. Each of them is supposed to be adapted into a 10 episode series, IIRC. How can you do that without tons of filler material?

13 hours ago, The hairy bear said:

I don't think that Sea Snake and the Nymeria shows are conceptualy similar to GOT in any way.

The Nine Voyages would be a Sinbad-like show, with the crew visiting different settings and discovering new and strange places (not unlike Star Trek, in a way). The Thousand Ships would have three very diferentiated stages: the war against the Valyrians, the odissey through the Summer Sea, and the settling of Dorne.

Those are the two options that I wouldn't mind seeing greenlighted.

These does sound like good ideas and if GOT didn’t sour me than I would actually check them out. Live action ASOIAF shows from HBO has turned me off of them forever. 

But any show about that ugly throne is bound to be the same political repetitive writing over and over. 

I wish GRRM would let others help write spin off books from the world of ASOIAF. The books are infinitely better than any live action show. 

On 6/25/2022 at 10:22 AM, Takiedevushkikakzvezdy said:

Each D&E story is about 100 pages or so. Each of them is supposed to be adapted into a 10 episode series, IIRC. How can you do that without tons of filler material?

They'd have to revamp the family tree before doing Dunk and Egg.

2 hours ago, Daeron the Daring said:

Fanservice, cloudchasing. What a joke. Will I watch it? If they go nuts with the story, maybe. but I mean nuts. Will I pay for it? No chance. 

See, that’s what I want too. If they’re going to bring the old characters back, then go wild with it. Make it fun.

20 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

See, that’s what I want too. If they’re going to bring the old characters back, then go wild with it. Make it fun.

I don't think we mean the same when we both say "wild". But I also know this is totally fanfic stuff, and I'll be considering it that.

I also wonder how come George hates fan-fiction, but highly approves a show that is set after his own supposed end date, after te point when he doesn't intend to flesh out anything at all.

I guess his public approval is pretty important, and money talks, which is more than understandable for me.

On 6/25/2022 at 2:53 PM, Angel Eyes said:

They'd have to revamp the family tree before dong Dunk and Egg.

Errrr....yay? More incest?

21 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

Like a really cracky crackfic combined with a Western touch, with ice spiders. Speaking of ice spiders, it shows you how dumb the NW and the First Men were: they built a WALL to keep out SPIDERS who can literally climb. Plus, we never did see them in the show, which is odd because if D&D were all about spectacle, big set-pieces and cool visuals, I would think they would want to do something like that. Imagine, the Battle of Winterfell, big icy blue spiders are climbing the walls, killing, throwing wights aside to get at the humans, while the humans valiantly, desperately try to keep the castle secure. Cool, right?

Just now, Jaenara Belarys said:

Errrr....yay? More incest?

Like a really cracky crackfic combined with a Western touch, with ice spiders. Speaking of ice spiders, it shows you how dumb the NW and the First Men were: they built a WALL to keep out SPIDERS who can literally climb. Plus, we never did see them in the show, which is odd because if D&D were all about spectacle, big set-pieces and cool visuals, I would think they would want to do something like that. Imagine, the Battle of Winterfell, big icy blue spiders are climbing the walls, killing, throwing wights aside to get at the humans, while the humans valiantly, desperately try to keep the castle secure. 

I made a typo.

What I mean is that Daeron the Drunk was adapted out in Maester Aemon's conversation with Jon in Season 1, and he plays a small but pivotal role in the first Dunk and Egg book.

Came here for this news and was not disappointed by the threads. I think Kit is overestimating his acting abilities here and I think a few others (including George) are just seeing money signs. I dun want it, but this is going to be a trash fire and I’m here for it.

23 hours ago, Angel Eyes said:

I made a typo.

What I mean is that Daeron the Drunk was adapted out in Maester Aemon's conversation with Jon in Season 1, and he plays a small but pivotal role in the first Dunk and Egg book.

I really don't think future projects will be all that worried about retconning small hiccups from GoT like this. Even Benioff and Weiss didn't care too much about continuity with the stuff they outright made up, and now we are in the post D&D era of the televised 'verse' too.

20 hours ago, Vaith said:

I really don't think future projects will be all that worried about retconning small hiccups from GoT like this. Even Benioff and Weiss didn't care too much about continuity with the stuff they outright made up, and now we are in the post D&D era of the televised 'verse' too.

oh yeah

oh god...a thought occurs:

Jon Snow is actually a "fire-wight" now (as GRRM calls it), like Beric Dondarrion.

He's not really "alive", he's a sentient zombie. Which means he can't have children...and can't age. 

A sequel might not be the "Season 9 cast reunion" everyone is hyping.

What if Jon Snow lives for hundreds of years?

In short...what if Jon Snow is the Last Knight of Camelot?

Famous short story by Roger Zelazny that Martin adapted for a 1980s Twilight Zone episode. About Lancelot living to the present day, Merlin comes out of a magical stasis and wants to take over the world with kings and fantasy again, but Lancelot insists that age is gone and never coming back, they fight at Stonehenge.

Fattest Leech would know more...

Archived