Gold shrouds

Zzz_243

Just now, Zzz_243 said:

Anyone knows the meaning of the "gold shrouds" referring to Cersei's children? Probably it's about their deaths, but why a gold shroud?

It's a guess at this point. Their gold shrouds could be their Lannister hair. Or perhaps they all die with a golden crown on their head. 

24 minutes ago, Zzz_243 said:

Anyone knows the meaning of the "gold shrouds" referring to Cersei's children? Probably it's about their deaths, but why a gold shroud?

Could be a Lannister thing, or it could mean that each will rise to become king/queen before they die.

There are some odd moments in the books when people mention the Gold Cloaks, the nickname for guards employed by the City Watch in King's Landing.

Cersei refers often to the gold cloaks.

I don't think we're supposed to interpret Cersei's children as city watch guards, although there could be some unexplored symbolism there.

Maybe we are supposed to interpret the gold cloaks as an army of the dead? 

Maybe it's just a wink and nod about Jaime as the father of the children - he wears gold armor and has a gold sword. We know that brides wear a cloak from their husband's House as a sign of uniting the houses in marriage; maybe Maggie is just indicating that the children will wear gold because they are of House Lannister. But wearing shrouds instead of cloaks means, of course, that their mother will outlive all three of them. 

Maggy's actual words were, "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds.”  (AFFC 36)

"Crowns," plural.  So she apparently predicted that all of them will rule at some point.

7 hours ago, Aebram said:

Maggy's actual words were, "Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds.”  (AFFC 36)

"Crowns," plural.  So she apparently predicted that all of them will rule at some point.

Crowns could also refer to hair (probably it's both, gold crowns in the sense gold hair indicating they are Lannister and also in the sense of a real crown). The gold shrouds part could be something related to their deaths that maybe we will discover in the next book (IF we will ever have it on our shelves...), so maybe there is something other regarding Joff's death.

Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds.

I think the meaning is twofold. Cersei will see them crowned and Cersei will see them dead. But also, a crown could refer to their gold colored hair, and the shroud (meaning to hide) the gold hair's indication of their parentage.

On 6/27/2022 at 1:13 PM, Mourning Star said:

Gold shall be their crowns and gold their shrouds.

I think the meaning is twofold. Cersei will see them crowned and Cersei will see them dead. But also, a crown could refer to their gold colored hair, and the shroud (meaning to hide) the gold hair's indication of their parentage.

I don't think there's any need to read symbolism into this. Maggy's predictions may have seemed cryptic to Cersei, but they have turned out to be factually correct. Two of Cersei's kids have already been crowned, and one has died. If Tommen dies too, I won't be at all surprised if Cersei uses whatever power she still holds to have Myrcella declared queen. It will be her last chance to have a Lannister on the throne; and she will naturally like the idea of a woman ruling. And if the small council consists mostly of her hand-picked stooges, she might succeed.

4 hours ago, Aebram said:

If Tommen dies too, I won't be at all surprised if Cersei uses whatever power she still holds to have Myrcella declared queen. It will be her last chance to have a Lannister on the throne; and she will naturally like the idea of a woman ruling. And if the small council consists mostly of her hand-picked stooges, she might succeed.

If Myrcella became queen then chances are very high that her potential  husband would become king. I assume that is major reason why most houses in Westeros do not like idea about having either ruling lady or queen. Or they hate the idea that their house or kingdom would be run by whoever happens to marry that heiress.

Totally another thing is that Myrcella would not had enough support to stay in power. If M married Trystane M his house might support Queen Myrcella. But then Tyrells almost certainly would support another candidate. After all most houses of Reach do not like Dornish and they would hate idea about having one of them as their king. On the other hand if potential queen will not marry Trystane House Martell almost certainly would become hostile.

23 minutes ago, Loose Bolt said:

If Myrcella became queen then chances are very high that her potential  husband would become king. I assume that is major reason why most houses in Westeros do not like idea about having either ruling lady or queen. Or they hate the idea that their house or kingdom would be run by whoever happens to marry that heiress.

Totally another thing is that Myrcella would not had enough support to stay in power. If M married Trystane M his house might support Queen Myrcella. But then Tyrells almost certainly would support another candidate. After all most houses of Reach do not like Dornish and they would hate idea about having one of them as their king. On the other hand if potential queen will not marry Trystane House Martell almost certainly would become hostile.

You make some good points, but I don't think Cersei is listening. :laugh:

Maggy's prophecy does seem to say that Myrcella will rule and then die, so one of the scenarios you described may well be about to happen.

Archived