US Politics: Supreme Courting to insanity.

I don't think it's possible to make any kind of predictive judgement of anything out of the Supreme Court any longer. 

@Jaxom 1974

Sure it is.  There's plenty of record for six of the nine justices, and even Kavanaugh and Gorsuch have enough record to have an informed opinion on how they will lean in most cases.  ACB is still a little early to pin down, but she's unlikely to be the swing vote in most cases anyway.  I do think it's interesting that Kavanaugh seems to be much more of a McConnell Republican whereas Gorsuch turned out to be more of a Trumpists - because based on their records before being appointed the general indications was it would be the other way around.

In the last relatively few hours the USA got xtian education, xtian guns and xtian forced birth. xtian guns of course are the means by which dissenting blue states can no longer dissent.  how ya likin' the look of this white xtian nationalism now, mr jones.

13 minutes ago, DMC said:

@Jaxom 1974

Sure it is.  There's plenty of record for six of the nine justices, and even Kavanaugh and Gorsuch have enough record to have an informed opinion on how they will lean in most cases.  ACB is still a little early to pin down, but she's unlikely to be the swing vote in most cases anyway.  I do think it's interesting that Kavanaugh seems to be much more of a McConnell Republican whereas Gorsuch turned out to be more of a Trumpists - because based on their records before being appointed the general indications was it would be the other way around.

I fail to see how relevant this is when their allegiance will err toward party. Some of them are now, including Thomas but for different reason, are proven liars.  

1 minute ago, JGP said:

I fail to see how relevant this is when their allegiance will err toward party.

Because in terms of the bill I was discussing 15 Republican Senators voted for it, including Mitch McConnell.

10 minutes ago, JGP said:

Marching orders? You just indicated there might be a slip. Would either roll on the GOP either way? The power grabs aren't over. 

I don't really know what you're talking about.  All I was talking about was Roberts and Kavanaugh are clearly not likely to strike down most of the provisions in the gun bill that just passed.  And further, while the decisions handed down this session are debilitatingly depressing and outraging, they were very much anticipated and predictable - as were the votes and even opinions of each justice.

SCOTUS judges rarely lie once their on the bench, there's no reason for them too. Thomas and Alito have been very clear for a long time where they stand on everything. Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Gorsuch (and to a lesser extent Roberts) lied during their confirmation hearings, but what's the point of them lying now? Nothing can stop them, short of a total collapse of civil society. So yeah, I believe Kavanaugh when he says he'd vote against a constitutional ban and that abortion is different from other privacy rights. And I also believe Thomas saying he wants to overturn every privacy ruling.

Also, the justices are generally all very predictable, outside of extremely technical cases that no one cares about. E.g., the Medicare reimbursement case also announced this morning was a 5-4 with the liberals, Thomas, and Barrett. No one could predict that, but it's such a niche topic (albeit with billions of dollars on the line for hospitals). For the big stuff, they're all clear-cut almost all the time. Gorsuch can occasionally be surprising on Western state issues, though for the most part it's just that he (shockingly) understands and supports Native American rights. He's usually with the other conservatives on any other western issue (e.g. water rights).

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

I don't really know what you're talking about.  All I was talking about was Roberts and Kavanaugh are clearly not likely to strike down most of the provisions in the gun bill that just passed.  And further, while the decisions handed down this session are debilitatingly depressing and outraging, they were very much anticipated and predictable - as were the votes and even opinions of each justice.

I'm coming at this from an emotional place and have go get my 12 yo so maybe that's for the best. But the majority was leaked as well, yet still shocking. I got an an incoming tiktok talk when T reads about this and wants to talk.  

11 minutes ago, Fez said:

Kavanaugh, Barrett, and Gorsuch (and to a lesser extent Roberts) lied during their confirmation hearings

And to be clear everybody with a brain knew they were lying at time (and Alito too, for the most part, btw).  Either that or they were willfully lying to themselves.

52 minutes ago, DMC said:

And to be clear everybody with a brain knew they were lying at time (and Alito too, for the most part, btw).  Either that or they were willfully lying to themselves.

But Susan Collins, oh nevermind...

Here in the Michigan the Dems are trying to get enough people to sign on (need ~425k signatures) to a Reproductive Freedom for All ballot initiative that would be voted on in November. They have till July 11, so hopefully it can happen.

I mean, I have no idea how it would do in a general election ballot, but we did legalize MJ and get an independent commission to look at gerrymandering based on such initiatives, so I have high hopes for it.

I wouldn't, of course, trade away my son for anything. But if I knew in 2013 what kind of backwards-ass shithole country he'd grow up in, I might have made different choices in family planning. Ah, family planning, we hardly knew ye.

I can't even contemplate moving us to the home country, because they just elected the son of the fucking dictator my father died to overthrow.

5 minutes ago, DanteGabriel said:

I wouldn't, of course, trade away my son for anything. But if I knew in 2013 what kind of backwards-ass shithole country he'd grow up in, I might have made different choices in family planning. Ah, family planning, we hardly knew ye.

I can't even contemplate moving us to the home country, because they just elected the son of the fucking dictator my father died to overthrow.

Canada bound, eh?

3 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

Canada bound, eh?

I don't know, I don't think even Canada is safe from the rising tide of well funded and organized Christofascists around the globe.

I think my course is clear. I must train my son in the skills necessary to survive the Apocalypse, and have him memorize the collected works of Terry Pratchett, so he can walk the wasteland and carry the foundation for a worthy society.

2 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And speaking of lying , now that it’s done Republicans seem to be dropping the pretext that this wasn’t about religion.

The white xtian nationalist authoritarian state.  Don't worry about your going up tax monies funding xtian schools, while there is no money for public schools.

For people who are actually considering it I did a bunch of research, and in general the best overall place to emigrate to for the next 25-30 years if you want English speaking was New Zealand. Good, stable political climate, best overall political system, good healthcare, relatively shielded from the worst of climate change issues, reasonably good cost of living. It can be difficult to emigrate - they have a skills-based quota system - and for us the big gotcha was having an adult son with medical needs we would need to cover out of pocket (he could come and be there, but he would not be a NZ citizen and not be covered under the medical coverage unless he got a job). But that's a relatively niche issue and would probably not be a problem for most others. 

Archived