US Politics: Supreme Courting to insanity.

Is there even a guiding principle for conservative justices any more? 'Originalism' itself was some made up gibberish, but at least it was an 'ethos', to quote the Big Lebowski. Now they just seem to be going with their gut and reverse engineering their rationale based on what the desired outcome is.

2 hours ago, Week said:

piercing the facade that this has anything to do with pro-life. At it's core, it is about controlling and punishing women

But diapers!  Didn't you hear how our church is now going to provide diapers to poor women with babies?  Diapers!  Diapers!  Diapers!  See how cool forced birth is.  

They are spinning as hard as They can to show Their terrific xtian kindness and compassion for the born as well embryos.  But why ... never DIAPERS! ... before? as Long Rider so perceptively inquired above.

5 minutes ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

Is there even a guiding principle for conservative justices any more? 'Originalism' itself was some made up gibberish, but at least it was an 'ethos', to quote the Big Lebowski. Now they just seem to be going with their gut and reverse engineering their rationale based on what the desired outcome is.

Own the libs by going back to the Dark Ages, when superstition ruled, and those pesky womens, slaves and other low lifes knew their place and stayed there.  Also, heretics could be burned at the stake.  It wasn't just cruel, it was entertainment!  And no goddamn over-regulated anything.   Motto: Virgins not vegans!

14 minutes ago, Zorral said:

Diapers!  Diapers!  Diapers! 

Cloth diapers so the sluts have to work even harder to keep the babe clean!    :angry:

Diapers with a heapin' helpin' of Jebus.   

NPR/Marist has a snap poll out, the topline results aren't surprising - 56 percent oppose the decision while 40 percent support.  The below tidbit is a reminder why "doing something" is so damn difficult in this country:

Just 39% said they have a great deal or quite a lot of confidence in the Supreme Court; 58% said they have not very much or no confidence at all in the institution. That's a low in the poll.

But few want to change the size of the court in the wake of the decision. Only a third of respondents said they were in favor of expanding the Supreme Court; 54% percent said they oppose that move.

Sixty-two percent of Democrats said they are in favor of doing so, but 57% of independents and nearly 9-in-10 Republicans were opposed.

19 minutes ago, DMC said:

NPR/Marist has a snap poll out, the topline results aren't surprising - 56 percent oppose the decision while 40 percent support.  The below tidbit is a reminder why "doing something" is so damn difficult in this country:

While I agree that "doing something" in terms of immediate response is difficult, the Supreme Court majority has taken an enormous political gamble. 

They were emboldened by the (relatively) muted reaction to Texas' SB8, and the breathtakingly cynical road-test of their overruling of Roe and Casey in that State.  The damage that the Court has done to itself with this overruling will be apparent in decades, and over the life-cycles of US politics, not in weeks or in this year's midterms.  Not every future Dem President will be Biden,  or command a zero vote majority in the US Senate with 2 Senators who are triangulating for political reasons.  If there is a political silver lining in this decision, it is that the legislative filibuster will fall sooner now rather than later.  If there is a jurisprudential silver lining, it is that the extraordinary run of luck (combined with cynical power-plays, and Ginsburg's arrogance) that Republicans have had in shaping the Court since Nixon will eventually come to an end.   And when it does, the doctrine of stare decisis will not be around to protect Citizens United, Heller, Shelby County, Brnovich, Dobbs and Bruen from the trash-heap of history.  

3 hours ago, Tywin et al. said:

And religion gets another win. At the end of the day I don't think a coach praying after a game is that big of a deal, my coach always held a prayer circle after football games, but the logic behind the ruling is baffling and shows how disingenuous this court is.

Republicans may hate teachers, but they love em some gym teachers.

1 hour ago, LongRider said:

Motto: Virgins not vegans!

Woo! Except for when the urge to violate takes even the most god-fearing, holy man, because, slut made me do it because female.

1 hour ago, IheartIheartTesla said:

It's a bizarre incongruency to witness. Dems are looking so weak, but the Biden admin. WTF. Put VP Harris atop a fact finding task force independent of the DOJ, and release the findings universally. Let the note taking be seen by every American citizen who cares to know. The latter is far from insignificant, or am I an idiot.    

This canuck is glad there's lots of grassroots that not only feared this possibility but were also organizing and preparing for it.

There's lots you can do.

Best wishes America.   

This from MSN news via NYT (which I don't have access to.)  I went to the J6C website and didn't see a press release there although they are showing that the next hearing is June 28 on their Youtube link.

MSN link

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol on Monday abruptly scheduled a hearing for Tuesday afternoon to hear what the panel called “recently obtained evidence” and take witness testimony.

The hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m., according to a news release issued by the committee, in which it provided no other details about the surprise session.

9 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

And there are no strippers in Pennsylvania? 

Well, the cheeky (and pretty sexist) part of my response was simply the basic observation/joke my brother and I made when we moved up here - Florida (or specifically Orlando and Tampa where we've spent most of our time there) has much better looking women than Pittsburgh.

But to seriously answer your question of what convinced me to move back down there, it was indeed women - a combination of guilting by my mother wanting me to move back closer and my own desire to move close to my sister and her 8 month old daughter.

2 minutes ago, DMC said:

But to seriously answer your question of what convinced me to move back down there, it was indeed women - a combination of guilting by my mother wanting me to move back closer and my own desire to move close to my sister and her 8 month old daughter.

Understandable reasons. But dude, it's fucking Florida. Trump, de Santis, Mickey Mouse. The trifecta of cartoon villains, not even mentioning Senator Lex Luthor here.

Jan. 6 Panel Abruptly Sets Tuesday Hearing on ‘Recently Obtained Evidence’
The panel, which had planned at least two additional hearings next month, had not been scheduled to meet this week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/us/politics/jan-6-hearing.html

The House committee investigating the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol on Monday abruptly scheduled a hearing for Tuesday afternoon to hear what the panel called “recently obtained evidence” and take witness testimony.

The hearing is scheduled for 1 p.m., according to a news release issued by the committee, in which it provided no other details about the surprise session. ....

8 minutes ago, A Horse Named Stranger said:

But dude, it's fucking Florida. Trump, de Santis, Mickey Mouse. The trifecta of cartoon villains, not even mentioning Senator Lex Luthor here.

Yeah I'd say I'd identify Scott as more of a cartoon villain than DeSantis, but that's probably just because I've been familiar with him much longer (and he was governor for much of time I lived there).  As for Trump, his lair is down there in Palm Beach, where I've never ventured. 

And how dare you refer to Mickey Mouse as a villain!  The in-state yearly passes to Disneyworld is an awesome added-benefit.  Granted, my brother and I eventually got sick of it after going there a dozen times a year, but that was eight years ago (and really I don't we went to Disneyworld the last year or so we lived there either).  It shall be magical again!

And really, this goes to Chats' original point.  Orlando and Tampa are perfectly regular cities - other than being incredibly hot.  If anything, you're more likely to encounter dumbass hicks in Pittsburgh than you are in either city (albeit, granted, Florida hicks are a special breed). 

1 minute ago, Zorral said:

Jan. 6 Panel Abruptly Sets Tuesday Hearing on ‘Recently Obtained Evidence’
The panel, which had planned at least two additional hearings next month, had not been scheduled to meet this week.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/06/27/us/politics/jan-6-hearing.html

Could be something big, could be trying to recapture the newsfeed lead. 

5 minutes ago, DMC said:

And how dare you refer to Mickey Mouse as a villain!  The in-state yearly passes to Disneyworld is an awesome added-benefit.  Granted, my brother and I eventually got sick of it after going there a dozen times a year, but that was eight years ago (and really I don't we went to Disneyworld the last year or so we lived there either).  It shall be magical again!

Because Mickey is a pimp. You never noticed. That barky oversized dog, his girl always with heels and overly feminine dresses, his dumbass bouncer friend. How else do you think he has made all the cash to live in that magic kingdom of his? 

Also musical note.

Archived