US Politics: Supreme Courting to insanity.

1 hour ago, DMC said:

Always heard it used as "under the jail," never "under the prison."

That’s the more common saying, I just heard the other one a lot when I was younger from one individual and it just stuck in my head. :dunno:

17 minutes ago, Week said:

My point, which I poorly made typing on my phone, is they've enabled him to stay viable to return to politics without people like them with "a line". Essentially, he'll be worse.

Since I don’t think he’ll run again, the bigger problem stemming from protecting Trump from himself may very well be how it affected his base, and sadly I do think there’s anyway to undo it.

14 minutes ago, Ran said:

Thanks, Chicken Little. We've had a few of these freakouts over the years, and "This too shall pass" has so far always been right.

I'm not condoning violence, that has/could/will happen regardless. Fraught times.

Don't know how accurate the emphasized statement is.   

I'm not armed. I don't do guns. But I'm done sticking my head in the streaming services sand and thinking that systems and institutions are going to save me. 

@JGP I am advocating for all the things you mentioned. With the added recognition that your political opponents are willing to assault the seat of government to see their insanity realized. If there's any kind of gathering to protest abuse, fascists counter-gather to make the protestors look bad. They ANSWER. Anything a non-fascist does gets responded to with an attack. And if you haven't noticed, they're winning. They won the court, they won the states, they've got their personal electors ensconced wherever possible. As long as they can do these things unopposed we've lost before the moment of decision is even reached.

The government has displayed that it is no longer capable of protecting itself from the fascists, to say nothing of protecting US from them. And you call me crazy for pointing this out to you?

Eta: This too shall pass is so true. I like to wave at my rights as they pass into memory 

2 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

The government has displayed that it is no longer capable of protecting itself from the fascists, to say nothing of protecting US from them. And you call me crazy for pointing this out to you?

I certainly do not think it's crazy. 

I appreciate your fire. For real.

25 minutes ago, Ran said:

Thanks, Chicken Little. We've had a few of these freakouts over the years, and "This too shall pass" has so far always been right.

Citation seriously needed. How has this too passed? We literally just lost Roe, and the other conversation is about whether or not there is enough evidence and enough will to prosecute an obvious conspiracy to overthrow the election results.

You're gonna have to be a bit more specific in what hasn't come to pass that was predicted here. 

14 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

Eta: This too shall pass is so true. I like to wave at my rights as they pass into memory 

Democrats have a plan for this.

1) Vote for D candidates (an insufficient number of which will win in order to overturn the filibuster)

2) ???

3) Vote for D candidates (an insufficient number of which will win in order to overturn the filibuster)

4) ???

Don't even think about discussing other solutions.

1 minute ago, Week said:

1) Vote for D candidates (an insufficient number of which will win in order to overturn the filibuster)

2) ???

3) Vote for D candidates (an insufficient number of which will win in order to overturn the filibuster)

4) ???

VP Harris' most recent interview was exemplar of this exact thing. Can hardly describe how disappointing it was. 

Don't forget the more radical plan of telling minorities and women in red states to go fuck themselves by peacefully seceding from the US and doing their own thing - that has the benefit of selfishness and being impossible in one nice package.

Eastman drops suit against J6C.  

Former Trump attorney John Eastman voluntarily withdrew his lawsuit that sought to block the Jan. 6 Select Committee from gaining access to his phone records, according to a filing late Tuesday.

In the filing, Eastman’s lawyer, Charles Burnham, wrote that that the committee had assured in their motion that they were only seeking his call logs, not the content of any of his messages held by his phone provider, Verizon.

Posted at Talking Points Memo today.

From Jay Rosen  @jayrosen_nyu   -- "If you paid close attention to the testimony about a struggle for the steering wheel in the president's car... and you paid close attention to Pence's refusal to get into his car on Jan. 6... then you should pay close attention to this whole clip— and that's all I'm going to say."

An expert on POTUS vehicles talks to Rachel Maddow.

18 minutes ago, Week said:

2) ???

4) ???

15 minutes ago, JGP said:

VP Harris' most recent interview was exemplar of this exact thing. Can hardly describe how disappointing it was. 

Which underscores the main thing that needs fixing: DEMOCRATS HAVE SHITTY LEADERS AND THEY ALL NEED TO BE REPLACED. Get these old fucks out of here who come from a different time and still want to go about politics the old way. They still think they can work with Republicans. They still want to be their friends. They're clearly not living in the real world. 

8 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Get these old fucks out of here who come from a different time and still want to go about politics the old way.

I like Biden but I agree with this.  The cold war on our democracy is ongoing and really heating up.  Biden is not a war president, he would be a great peacetime prez, but that is not the Prez we need right now.

3 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

and still want to go about politics the old way.

Or consider the fact that we should consider "the wisdom of the ancients" because the electorate is actually more like the ancients than the people advocating wanting to get the "old fucks out".

1 hour ago, Babblebauble said:

Until you folks are ready to kill or be killed to STOP them from doing that again -which they probably won't even have to- you're wasting more than time. You're wasting the last moments to do something that can arrest the collapse. 

44 minutes ago, Babblebauble said:

And you call me crazy for pointing this out to you?

So the only legitimate topic to discuss any longer in the US politics threads is how to kill all the Trumpists?  Gotcha.  I'd suggest if we're actually intent on doing so, probably best not to plan on a public forum, but YMMV.

The vast majority of people reading this are thoroughly aware of everything you pointed out.  Thing is, other than violence, you aren't even providing any tangible solutions.  JGP did, and virtually everything he listed has been discussed on here ad nauseam.  The crazy part isn't you "pointing this out" to us, it's nonsensically hurling obscenities at posters for having the temerity to discuss the news of the day.

6 minutes ago, Tywin et al. said:

Which underscores the main thing that needs fixing: DEMOCRATS HAVE SHITTY LEADERS AND THEY ALL NEED TO BE REPLACED. Get these old fucks out of here who come from a different time and still want to go about politics the old way. They still think they can work with Republicans. They still want to be their friends. They're clearly not living in the real world. 

Agreed.

Right now though. the prevailing idea that center/center-left politicians need to remain calm is asinine.

If they're too afeared to layout the strategy of how they intend to combat it [if there is one] at least get fucking visibly angry about it. 

Beto made a serious gain when he confronted Abbott at the Uvalde presser. Lean into that, at the very least.

3 minutes ago, Ran said:

Or consider the fact that we should consider "the wisdom of the ancients" because the electorate is actually more like the ancients than the people advocating wanting to get the "old fucks out".

What a very odd counterpoint. No one mentioned or even hinted at the problem being too progressive or championing progressive causes. Unless you are claiming that a representative democracy, people who do crimes being held accountable and rights for people in general are progressive planks now?

10 minutes ago, DMC said:

So the only legitimate topic to discuss any longer in the US politics threads is how to kill all the Trumpists?  Gotcha.  I'd suggest if we're actually intent on doing so, probably best not to plan on a public forum, but YMMV.

The vast majority of people reading this are thoroughly aware of everything you pointed out.  Thing is, other than violence, you aren't even providing any tangible solutions.  JGP did, and virtually everything he listed has been discussed on here ad nauseam.  The crazy part isn't you "pointing this out" to us, it's nonsensically hurling obscenities at posters for having the temerity to discuss the news of the day.

Take this for what it is, but I don't know if Men are actually capable of fully feeling what women in the US are right now. I consider myself a pretty hip guy, and I have two daughters [American or no] and I know I can't fully feel it.

Exceptions to anger and frustration are solidarity, yo.

14 minutes ago, Ran said:

Are you suggesting that it's unique to politics to have way more junior staffers than senior staffers, and that junior staffers tend to skew younger? 

Yes, the overwhelming majority of political staffers are in their 20s. And also the elected officials probably know like 1% of their names, especially if they hold a statewide office. The people actually advising them are far more likely to be in their 40s and 50s than 20s. 

Archived