Umbrella Academy Season 3

Gigei

I like the soundtrack choices for this season (First Aid Kit in a soundtrack = good in our book!), but I admit that I find the dance sequences to be getting trite and tiresome. The Footloose dance battle was just kind of annoying, and I fear they've basically commited to trying to create meme-able dance sequences ever since the success of the first, genuinely-surprising dance way back at the start of the first season. 

That said, we're paused part way through the 6th episode and after a slow start we've been enjoying the general insanity of it. I think it was around episode 4 that I felt it had really begun to come together.

Just finished! Loved almost all of it and the ending was cliffhanger awesome, as expected. They always do that, lol.

Lila really grew on me this Season. The only episode I thought was draggy was the 8th one. On the other hand, I would have liked a more epic showdown at the very end. I gotta say Sparrow Ben was a great addition.

Spoiler

That bit where he went back to his room to get his jacket and roasted Viktor was darkly hilarious, in the best way.

Though I kinda thought his tentacle powers would be better than what I saw.

9 hours ago, Gigei said:

I gotta say Sparrow Ben was a great addition.

Hide contents

That bit where he went back to his room to get his jacket and roasted Viktor was darkly hilarious, in the best way.

Though I kinda thought his tentacle powers would be better than what I saw.

I liked that they kept saying how much better Umbrella Ben was than Sparrow Ben, and then they list off his qualities and they sound the same as far as I can tell.

7 hours ago, SpaceChampion said:

I liked that they kept saying how much better Umbrella Ben was than Sparrow Ben, and then they list off his qualities and they sound the same as far as I can tell.

Yeah, and the bit where they kept staring at him with a smile and the whole attitude of "oh my gosh, it's Ben" all the time was fun. I hope they don't kill him off in S4. :cheers:

I'm not completely on board the

Spoiler

Luther+Sloane train

, but I'm willing to be persuaded. It really seems like they had a super fast romance that's doomed, but who know what will happen in the future?

Re:the ending (I'll put it under spoilers now since it's still early and maybe most haven't watched until the last episode yet)

Spoiler

Sloane wasn't there! But someone on Reddit reminded me that Sir Reginald specifically mentioned her to Luther. "I'll take care of Sloane." Reggie doesn't have any reason to be mad at Sloane, or more mad than at the other kids. Since the others were all there, Sloane is probably also somewhere in the Brave New World.

All in all, I think it was a great season. I really want the continuation now.

4 minutes ago, Gigei said:

It really seems like they had a super fast romance that's doomed, but who know what will happen in the future?

Spoiler

I don't think Sloane exists in this new reality.

Reginald's plan was to define reality, and no doubt in his planned reality his Sparrows (or at least some of them) would be around. But Allison intervened and apparently got to define this new reality in part. Reginald gets his beloved Abigail and is a global industrial titan, and Allison gets back her daughter, as well as the man she loved most... oh, yeah, and she and her siblings no longer have powers, but they're around and the Sparrows are not. Which is also why Sparrow Ben is there, because in her mind he's still the brother she had... or something.

That's our take after watching it, anyways, and trying to put the pieces together.

I liked the 8th episode, but in general I think this season could probably have been a bit tighter -- 8 episodes in total would have felt fine. 

24 minutes ago, Gigei said:

Reveal hidden contents

Sloane wasn't there! But someone on Reddit reminded me that Sir Reginald specifically mentioned her to Luther. "I'll take care of Sloane." Reggie doesn't have any reason to be mad at Sloane, or more mad than at the other kids. Since the others were all there, Sloane is probably also somewhere in the Brave New World.

All in all, I think it was a great season. I really want the continuation now.

Yes, ditto, already very much wanting Season 4. I've just managed to binge S3 before my Netflix sub runs out. Five and Klaus as usual were brilliant, and I really like Ritu Arya as Lila, though much more when she's being mad than when she's angsting. Also props to Colm Feore as Bad Dad Reggie, and Justin Min as Bad Brother Ben. 

I feel the writing for Umbrella Academy is snappy when it's having fun and furthering the plot, but often falls down when it tries to play emotion straight without snark, humour or hidden agendas. Partly because it's hard to write that kind of stuff in an engaging way; partly because the plot charges on so fast that it's almost impossible not to just look on everything as a potential plot device.

Spoiler

(e.g. Harlan, who was important, then suddenly seemed forgotten as a character after his purpose was completed. He drove a wedge between Alison and Viktor, but once the wedge was there, Viktor seemed oddly okay with him being dead, as if he just existed for the sake of a conflict/reconciliation with Alison.) 

Anyway, I thought this was a strong season. It rarely actually tried to be serious - at least, not without adding an extra helping of weird. Fun, fast, and self-consciously bananas. I approve. 

The showrunner mentioned that they have a plan for season 4 which they think would make a good series finale, but they haven't gotten approval for a 4th season yet. So if it happens, that'll be the last.

Oh dear, if S4 is the last season, I hope they don't make Allison the antagonist. I actually like how dark her arc was in S3 but as a villain she lacks a certain... hmm... excitement? My wishlist of things I want more of:

• Five kicking ass
  • Sparrow Ben, or Umbrella Ben
  • Vikto actually doing more with his power than just a glowy thing
  • Diego
    Spoiler

and Lila and baby

• Pogo

I didn't add Sir Reginald to the list because he's obviously going to be big in S4, lol.

I'd expect Reggie to be the explicit antagonist - now that he's got his wife back, and Luther knows he's an alien, we get to find out what they really want from Earth, and what connection he might have with the events of October 1st 1989. Allison's got what she wanted, there's no reason for there to be any conflict with her outside of persuading her to come back to the team in the first place.

I enjoyed this season as a whole, the episodes are a nice length and kept me engaged. I was hoping for more from the Sparrows though, there was a lot of potential there and they seemed very overpowered in episode 1 before unceremoniously being bumped off without fanfare throughout the season, without getting the development I wanted to see.

I still dislike the character of Luther, and his romance with Sloane was very rushed and also creepy. The fact that its post wedding night and they're both calling the same man dad is unsettling. Not as bad as him and Alison but still.

Loved the rest of the Umbrellas though and Lila was an excellent addition so I'm glad she is sticking around. More Klaus and Ben too please.

I also need to know about the Jennifer incident and how Ben died because Jennifer also existed in the Sparrow timeline and we still learned nothing unless I missed it.

This season felt a little short on them using powers after the big fight in episode 1.

The visual of this end of the world looked really cool

16 hours ago, HelenaExMachina said:

I enjoyed this season as a whole, the episodes are a nice length and kept me engaged. I was hoping for more from the Sparrows though, there was a lot of potential there and they seemed very overpowered in episode 1 before unceremoniously being bumped off without fanfare throughout the season, without getting the development I wanted to see.

I still dislike the character of Luther, and his romance with Sloane was very rushed and also creepy. The fact that its post wedding night and they're both calling the same man dad is unsettling. Not as bad as him and Alison but still.

Loved the rest of the Umbrellas though and Lila was an excellent addition so I'm glad she is sticking around. More Klaus and Ben too please.

I also need to know about the Jennifer incident and how Ben died because Jennifer also existed in the Sparrow timeline and we still learned nothing unless I missed it.

This season felt a little short on them using powers after the big fight in episode 1.

The visual of this end of the world looked really cool

I think I could handwave the incestuous vibe between Luther and Sloane because I kind of expect every single Hargreeves to make fucked-up choices to a degree. I didn't feel the show was pressuring me to find it not creepy - just, as you say, less creepy than Luther and Alison. (Have any of the Umbrellas ever managed a completely healthy relationship? There's been so much plot over the last three seasons that I find it hard to keep track). 

With any other set of characters, I'd have been deeply frustrated that they were hanging around having a drawn-out family spat right before the apocalypse instead of trying to save the universe; with the Umbrellas and surviving Sparrows, I just shrug. It's them being them. They can't do any different. 

I would have enjoyed finding out more about Christopher. Especially if it turned out that he hadn't always been a giant floaty electric cube.  

I’m on ep4, I think, and enjoying it, although it feels like it needs to progress the plot a bit.  Five and Klaus are always my favorite characters.  I miss cool (dead) Ben but Viktor is a huge upgrade over Vanya as a character and at least Luther has transferred his puppy-dog affection to a less creepy/incestuous alternate.

The silliness, bickering and whipsaw drama in the plot lines are all features rather than bugs because they’re done well and the composite remains fun.

Is this a spoiler thread? I see people starting to not use spoiler tags.

I finally got around watching the new season. It was highly entertaining, as usual. I don't think it was as good as season 2, though I don't remember much of season 2. I would say this had a better finale, as I remember not liking the big fight with the Commission at the end of season 2.

Spoiler

I liked that they brought in Harlan, and how they tied the events from season 2 with what causes the big fuck up this time.

I actually liked the Luther-Sloane romance, as I feel Luther deserved some happiness. But I was strongly expecting and dreading that Sloane was going to be killed off, so it was surprising to see her still alive in the finale. She may not exist, though, in the new universe.

I loved Klaus, but kinda crazy that Robert Sheehan gets to play another powered character with abilities like the guy from Misfits. Except Klaus is a better character. 

Allison had some strong Wanda vibes. I was ok with her being a temporary antagonist, but hopefully she doesn't remain so in the next season.

• 1 month later...
On 6/29/2022 at 8:22 AM, Ran said:

The showrunner mentioned that they have a plan for season 4 which they think would make a good series finale, but they haven't gotten approval for a 4th season yet. So if it happens, that'll be the last.

Just saw that they have gotten the go-ahead for a fourth season, which will also be the final season of the show.

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Just saw that they have gotten the go-ahead for a fourth season, which will also be the final season of the show.

Delighted we'll see the gang one more time, and that there'll be a chance to wrap things up.

Archived