Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

Today I learned that apparently season 1 of Obi-Wan is only part 1 of a 3-part story the writers wished to tell.

Wh...why?

Do we really need more?

Anyone else feeling overstuffed/oversaturated with all things Star Wars?

7 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Today I learned that apparently season 1 of Obi-Wan is only part 1 of a 3-part story the writers wished to tell.

Wh...why?

Do we really need more?

I'd be up for more Star Wars if it wasn't so limited to such a tiny radius of time and people. I'm waiting for a show about the band from the mos eisley cantina or one of the very minor middle managers on the Death Star.

3 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

I'd be up for more Star Wars if it wasn't so limited to such a tiny radius of time and people. I'm waiting for a show about the band from the mos eisley cantina or one of the very minor middle managers on the Death Star.

I KNOW RIGHT?

This is my frustration! It's this...tiny little group of people, and I want to know more about the people who aren't at the center of attention! 

Just now, IlyaP said:

I KNOW RIGHT?

This is my frustration! It's this...tiny little group of people, and I want to know more about the people who aren't at the center of attention! 

Yeah this isn't a new critique or idea, but Knights of the Old Republic dared to actually delve into a different time period in the SW universe. I have no idea why they don't do that, other than it would take a level of bravery that nobody has. 

4 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Yeah this isn't a new critique or idea, but Knights of the Old Republic dared to actually delve into a different time period in the SW universe. I have no idea why they don't do that, other than it would take a level of bravery that nobody has. 

My bestie referred to it as them being caught in a kind of black hole of OT stories. Meanwhile, friends have argued that "legacy characters are well developed and have a known context. That is what people want from a storyverse based series. If you want original content, watch something else", which I feel constricts the universe. 

Even Star Wars: Rebels, which is fantastically near and dear to my heart, and possibly my favorite Star Wars story ever, is relatively original whilst tying into the OT, without being too nostalgic or self-referential. 

I love the Old Republic stories for the same reason. And whilst I admire the attempts made at expanding things with the High Republic novels and comics, none of them have spoken to me, and all have felt like they've been put through the same editorial Personality Remover, so they all read like the book version of MCU movies - all of the sounding, looking, and feeling alike, with no distinguishable personality or style. 

9 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Yeah they're doing what they did with Marvel, to the point where I'm gonna get car-sick every time they announce a new Star Wars show.

Weird how the lesson Disney learned from Solo's underperformance was "We're oversaturating with films, let's oversaturate with TV instead!"

I have no idea where else an Obi-Wan series can go.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

So is it just me or does nearly every one of these Star Wars tv shows, seem to involve a hero protecting a child?

Boba Fett didn’t. Rebels didn’t. Ahsoka seems like it won’t. So it’s maybe 50% of them.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Boba Fett didn’t. Rebels didn’t. Ahsoka seems like it won’t. So it’s maybe 50% of them.

Rebels literally was about protecting Ezra Bridger, who was a slightly older kid. 

Also the notion that rebels was original when the main story beats were around characters from clone wars, from the original series or from Zahn is rich. Rebels is deeply into navel gazing and mining that very tiny vein of area between eps 3 and 4. It did have some new characters but it still was largely around the same story and similarly constrained in what it could do.

3 hours ago, Darryk said:

I have no idea where else an Obi-Wan series can go.

To be clear the trilogy idea was a trilogy of movies, not a trilogy of TV shows. 

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

Well, Fennec was effectively babysitting Boba, so.... point stands.

5 hours ago, Maltaran said:

Half of Boba Fett was Mando season 3, so it kind of did. The Bad Batch even has one. So Rebels is basically the only exception , unless you count the rest of the cast protecting Ezra, which they did quite a bit.

I mean, a series about Obi-Wan between Episodes III and IV was always going to inherently be about him protecting the kids.  That Favreau mimicked this template with Baby Yoda isn't particularly surprising, and it certainly worked from a commercial standpoint.  And yeah, Rebels is basically the B-Team for the OT gang, so Ezra is the Luke analogue - although I'd say it isn't really about "protecting" Ezra inasmuch as training him (just like Luke in ANH).

So, sure, Star Wars is clearly self-derivative.  But, as mentioned, at least the Boba parts of the Boba show have little/nothing to do with protecting children per se, seems very unlikely the Ahsoka show is going to be either (unless we're still counting Ezra as a kid), and the Andor series certainly does seem like it will be about protecting kids specifically, although it would hardly be shocking if they use that trope a bit.  Anyway, seems weird to complain about that when it comes to the Obi-Wan series specifically. 

2 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

Rebels literally was about protecting Ezra Bridger, who was a slightly older kid. 

Also the notion that rebels was original when the main story beats were around characters from clone wars, from the original series or from Zahn is rich. Rebels is deeply into navel gazing and mining that very tiny vein of area between eps 3 and 4. It did have some new characters but it still was largely around the same story and similarly constrained in what it could do.

2 hours ago, sifth said:

Half of Boba Fett was Mando season 3, so it kind of did. The Bad Batch even has one. so Rebels is basically the only exception is Rebels, unless you count the rest of the cast protecting Ezra, which they did quite a bit.

I never said Rebels was original, just that it wasn’t about protecting a kid - or at least, it moved beyond that. In the finale, it’s Ezra protecting everyone else by getting rid of Thrawn.

And yes, I did include Bad Batch in my count. The 50% was Mando, Obi-Wan and Bad Batch vs Boba Fett, Rebels and Ahsoka (not counting Clone Wars as that was pre-Disney)

1 hour ago, DMC said:

That Favreau mimicked this template with Baby Yoda isn't particularly surprising, and it certainly worked from a commercial standpoint.

I don't think that's what Favreau was doing so much as he was using the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' template that's been borrowed to great success in many media and that homages the samurai influences on the OT.

Obi-Wan then does a somewhat similar thing but the model isn't quite the same, as Obi-Wan isn't the taciturn badass type and starts off with a reason to care about the kids.

I'd be happy with never seeing Obi-Wan again, he did his thing and we saw a little bridge between the movies.

I've never watched any of the animated shows nor read any of the books so I'm looking forward to Ashoka because I know nothing about her and have no expectations other than what I've seen in these tv shows.  

18 minutes ago, mormont said:

I don't think that's what Favreau was doing so much as he was using the 'Lone Wolf and Cub' template that's been borrowed to great success in many media and that homages the samurai influences on the OT.

Sure, of course, I was just comparing within Star Wars.

Archived