Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

15 hours ago, IlyaP said:

Today I learned that apparently season 1 of Obi-Wan is only part 1 of a 3-part story the writers wished to tell.

Wh...why?

Do we really need more?

Anyone else feeling overstuffed/oversaturated with all things Star Wars?

It's pretty simple, really. Those who feel they need more will watch it, while those who are feeling overstuffed/oversaturated with all things Star Wars won't. Disney will have pretty accurate data on how many people are interested and will either continue to flood the audience with new (or "new") Star Wars content or will stop and analyse how and when they messed up based on that data.

As long as people keep whining about Star Wars content saturation while watching all of that content, Disney has no interest in making less of it. Bottom line is they don't care whether or not we like it, just that we watch it and keep watching new stuff.

1 hour ago, Maltaran said:

I never said Rebels was original, just that it wasn’t about protecting a kid - or at least, it moved beyond that. In the finale, it’s Ezra protecting everyone else by getting rid of Thrawn.

And yes, I did include Bad Batch in my count. The 50% was Mando, Obi-Wan and Bad Batch vs Boba Fett, Rebels and Ahsoka (not counting Clone Wars as that was pre-Disney)

Yea, but half of Boba Fett is Mando season 2.5, which involves a hero protecting a kid, lol

Also you're predicting what the Ahsoka show is going to be about, before it even comes out.

I rewatched the Last Jedi last night, and I still think it's among the top 3 to 4 of all Star Wars movies. Disney buckling to a vocal raging minority of fans really tanked some good stuff, I think. Obi Wan's story really doesn't work with the OT. I feel bad for Ewan, he deserved better (twice now). 

23 minutes ago, sifth said:

Also you're predicting what the Ahsoka show is going to be about, before it even comes out.

Her episode in Mandalorian is basically a backdoor pilot, and based on that episode and the casting it's a pretty safe bet the premise is going to revolve around her and Sabine's search for Ezra where we left her at the end of Rebels and subsequently her search for Thrawn.

4 minutes ago, DMC said:

Her episode in Mandalorian is basically a backdoor pilot, and based on that episode and the casting it's a pretty safe bet the premise is going to revolve around her and Sabine's search for Ezra where we left her at the end of Rebels and subsequently her search for Thrawn.

I mean I wasn't expecting Obi-Wan to be about him protecting ten year old Leia, when I first heard about the show, but that's where things took us. All I'm saying is, don't count your chickens before they hatch.

2 minutes ago, sifth said:

I mean I wasn't expecting Obi-Wan to be about him protecting ten year old Leia, when I first heard about the show, but that's where things took us.

No, but it was pretty obvious it was either going to be about protecting Leia, or protecting Luke, or probably both, which is pretty much what we got.

14 hours ago, DMC said:

No, but it was pretty obvious it was either going to be about protecting Leia, or protecting Luke, or probably both, which is pretty much what we got.

I thought it was going to be about nothing related to either of them since both hardly know him in ANH. That has since been retconned. 

8 minutes ago, sifth said:

I thought it was going to be about nothing related to either of them since both hardly know him ANH. That has since been retconned. 

Let me put it this way - it was a safe assumption the Obi-Wan series was going to be about protecting Luke and/or Leia - in some fashion - because we knew those were his motivations during that time period.  Just as it's a safe assumption the Ahsoka show is going to revolve around Ezra/Thrawn because we know those are her motivations.  The Mandalorian episode explicitly tells us that (well, with Thrawn).  

I would have loved seeing them expand on some of obi wans relationships from clone wars - let him have had a kid of his own he had to protect in mandalore, or help with that whole plot arc.

Or deal with maul...again.

Or have him trying - and failing - to train one of the other jedi from the temple to fight Vader- and having that person die and him lose.

I dunno - 20 years with someone who we know almost nothing about during that time has a lot of ways to go, and none of it need be about Luke or Leia.

1 hour ago, IlyaP said:

Can we have a movie/show that just...moves past the regrettable sequel trilogy? 

That would require creativity...

Just now, Rhom said:

That would require creativity...

But... it also has the advantage of basically being the status quo for where things could have gone after the OT as well.  One known Jedi in the galaxy.  A small fledgling Republic trying to establish itself.  Scattered remnants of a fallen galactic empire.

Take it and go.

Or if you don't want to be too crazy... hit fast forward.  Grogu the Marketing Wunderkind is now 300 years old and is establishing his new Jedi/Mandalorian school of philosophy and is teaching a new generation of warriors to take on a mysterious threat... maybe from outside the galaxy with an unpronounceable name that isn't affected by the force.  

You know what... as I just spitball that just now... it has the advantage of ripping off all the things that are known to be successful, and yet still is more original than anything they've done since Disney took over...

1 minute ago, Rhom said:

But... it also has the advantage of basically being the status quo for where things could have gone after the OT as well.  One known Jedi in the galaxy.  A small fledgling Republic trying to establish itself.  Scattered remnants of a fallen galactic empire.

Take it and go.

Or if you don't want to be too crazy... hit fast forward.  Grogu the Marketing Wunderkind is now 300 years old and is establishing his new Jedi/Mandalorian school of philosophy and is teaching a new generation of warriors to take on a mysterious threat... maybe from outside the galaxy with an unpronounceable name that isn't affected by the force.  

You know what... as I just spitball that just now... it has the advantage of ripping off all the things that are known to be successful, and yet still is more original than anything they've done since Disney took over...

Dammit... the more I think about it... that's the perfect format for what Star Wars the multimedia empire should be.  Rework the Yuuzhon Vong.  Plan it out right and you could have a trilogy of movies spread out with two to three years between each one (releasing at Christmas) with a series of side story shows set concurrently released through Disney+.  Might be able to do as many as two per year between movies that flesh out the conflict with the major story advancements happening in the movies but not necessarily requiring watching the TV shows to follow along.

11 minutes ago, Rhom said:

nt to be too crazy... hit fast forward.  Grogu the Marketing Wunderkind is now 300 years old and is establishing his new Jedi/Mandalorian school of philosophy and is teaching a new generation of warriors to take on a mysterious threat... maybe from outside the galaxy with an unpronounceable name that isn't affected by the force.  

I know you're just throwing out the implausible, but this is fandom we're talking about. Any significant jump in time my we filled with minute details or we complain. 

Jumping ahead benefits the franchise because it jettisons Skywalker saga trappings, let's the Dark Side fester in secret for awhile and whatever new form of Jedi to rise. But then people are going to be looking for where Rey's descendants are. Or Grogu. Etc. Maybe in 300 years, they'll figure out how Anakin's Youngling Slayer 3000 got in Maz Kanada's basement.

Larger question: What is Star Wars? What's required to be a Star Wars story regardless of where in the timeline?

Most of Visions didn't feel like Star Wars to me. Just random sci-fi with light swords. 

Some info about Andorhttps://www.empireonline.com/tv/news/andor-tony-gilroy-explains-star-wars-rogue-one-prequel-structure-exclusive/

A second season has already been confirmed, also 12 episodes. But its structure will be somewhat different from the 1st season. Both seasons will encompass a 5-year story leading up to Rogue One. (this feels similar to Rebels) But season 1 will only cover one year, and the second season will cover the rest, thus we'll probably get different pacing between the two seasons. 

Archived