Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

1 hour ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

What's the timeline?  6 years BBY?  10?  Was there a number of imperials who we later see with Tarkin on the Death Star in that conference room when Vader chokes the guy out?  

This looks like it might just work...depending on where they go with it and how many other Rebel cell leaders we get other than Saw...

I think it’s 5 years before Rogue One

3 hours ago, RumHam said:

It's definitely super weird that they sent him off with Luke and then just sent him back before the next episode had even aired.

That's what Filoni does! That's what he did in clone wars and rebels and all of it! This ain't a Disney thing!

The idea that they'd take the baby Yoda away from the show that is all about baby Yoda is obviously wrong, and that filoni would do something that would fuck the Canon up that much is also obviously wrong. 

16 hours ago, The Bard of Banefort said:

I’m pleasantly surprised to see all the hype for Andor. I had thought that this show would get buried under all the other spin-offs, but ever since Comic-Con people have sounded genuinely excited for it. I guess something about Diego Luna just resonates with people.

I think it's less that and more the revelation that the story seems like it has multiple strands following multiple characters across the galaxy, with an action-adventure storyline with Cassian Andor, a political thriller thing with Mon Mothma, guerrilla action with Saw Gerrera and whatever the hell Stellan Skarsgard stuff Stellan Skarsgard is doing. I've seen more than one person call it "Star Wars but also Game of Thrones." Also it having 12 episodes rather than the anemic 6 or 8 of most shows seems to have gone down well.

• 2 weeks later...

Marcia Lucas played such a huge role in the success of Star Wars, not just with her story ideas but by editing the hell out of the movie. People say it was saved on the cutting room floor.

Got to wonder how much better the prequels could have been if Lucas still had her collaboration.

I'd love his presence to build over the series. Just a background figure that people start noticing, with his influence just suspected until it becomes obvious he's the right hand of the emperor. He should be a force of fear, a dark shadow over everything, not a direct opponent to the protagonists.

Ideally, he wouldn't even have interactions with the main characters, except maybe a scene with Mon Motha where he suspects her true allegiance, but doesn't press it. 

This piece on Andor makes it sound really, really promising. Here's a bit:

Rather than turn Cassian’s life, pre-“Rogue One,” into a rollicking space adventure, Gilroy — who wrote five episodes and serves as executive producer and showrunner — uses Cassian’s story to depict, in almost Dickensian detail, the intertwining lives of everyday people as they orbit around the formation of the Rebel Alliance. While legacy characters like Mon Mothma (Genevieve O’Reilly) and Saw Gerrera (Forest Whitaker) do appear, the vast majority of the ensemble’s more than 200 actors are playing brand new characters, often inhabiting worlds we’ve never seen before. Most crucially, rather than wayward Jedi or secret Skywalkers, “Andor” follows lowly factory workers and midlevel technocrats, seemingly unremarkable characters who’ve long hovered in the background but were never granted the spotlight until now.

“I wanted to do it about real people,” Gilroy says. “They’ve made all this IP about the royal family, in essence. It’s been great. But there’s a billion, billion, billion other beings in the galaxy. There’s plumbers and cosmeticians. Journalists! What are their lives like? The revolution is affecting them just as much as anybody else. Why not use the ‘Star Wars’ canon as a host organism for absolutely realistic, passionate, dramatic storytelling?” As for any other legacy characters who may pop up in Season 1, they are, Gilroy says, “never fan service.” 

1 minute ago, Ran said:

This piece on Andor makes it sound really, really promising. Here's a bit:

<...> the vast majority of the ensemble’s more than 200 actors are playing brand new characters, often inhabiting worlds we’ve never seen before. <...>

That sounds much better than I expected. I gave up on The Book of Boba after a couple of episodes because it was scraping the bottom of a very derivative barrel. If the fans throw a wobbler when Andor is released because there's no Darth Vader/Han Solo/Jedi etc. then I'm aiming my personal Death Star at them. 

1 hour ago, dog-days said:

That sounds much better than I expected. I gave up on The Book of Boba after a couple of episodes because it was scraping the bottom of a very derivative barrel. If the fans throw a wobbler when Andor is released because there's no Darth Vader/Han Solo/Jedi etc. then I'm aiming my personal Death Star at them. 

Honestly, Darth Vader doesn't even need to be seen...only be a presence in the background...what the Rebellion is trying to avoid...Let him be the shark in Jaws...scarier knowing he's there, but you never really see him...

I dont know if that sounds that interesting really, still feels as if this show has the potential to be very boring and with segments youre just going to want to skip. But I hope it will be good, the trailers did look appealing.

7 hours ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Let him be the shark in Jaws...scarier knowing he's there, but you never really see him...

Bonus points if we get a riff on the USS Indianapolis speech.

"So we formed into tight groups see, the idea was when Vader came close they'd start pounding and holler'n. Some times Vader'd go away. ...Some times he wouldn't go away."

Archived