Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

1 hour ago, polishgenius said:

Yeah, I'd hazard a guess that not using the Volume because they felt filming on location was the right choice is a symptom of the general dedication to making a tv show rather than a product, which the other shows have felt like. 

It's something the Corridor Crew guys and some of their guests have talked about- the Volume is a great tool that has immediately jumped to being overused as a shortcut, which it isn't really coz what essentially happens is a lot of the work that you'd do post-shoot on greenscreen needs to be prepped beforehand for the screens. It's great for some stuff but it means you're locked in on the day of filming or else it looks shit. 

Anyway, speaking of tv show rather than product, prepare for one of the grimmest reviews of all time.

Good grief. 

Oh Noes! without Easter eggs, callbacks, cameos, and a gravy pipe full of fan service, they might actually have to resort to actual story telling. No one's ready for that. 

On the plus side, The show runner for Andor is Tony Gilroy. Gilroy has a pretty mixed CV in my opinion, but he was Writer/Director on one of my favorite movies of the last 20 years: Michael Clayton. He was also involved in Rogue One reshoots.

I am cautiously optimistic. 

I watched the released Andor episodes. Definitely a slow burn and it was a good idea to release 3 episodes at once. By the end of the 3d I was fully invested. Right now a lot of it feels like a crime drama story set in the SW universe.

Good acting and directing, the world is well developed and lived in, and while the plot is slower than I'd like, I will definitely keep watching.

Yup, a slow burn intro with lots of plot, character and worldbuilding, but it did it really well. It did feel like a HBO drama set in the Star Wars universe, lots of attention to detail and I like the idea that the "bad guy" actually had a really good motive - finding the apparent murderer who killed two of his workers despite other people trying to ignore it - and you can see why he's going to harbour a grudge against Andor and presumably be on his tail for the rest of the season. There's a lot of small groundwork-laying going on for the characters.

Also, good choice for them to release the first three in one go. To be honest, I'm wondering if they should be doing that for the whole show. Releasing three episodes a week every week for four weeks would be quite cool. Apparently the next block of episodes gets heavily into Coruscant and Mon Mothma.

On 9/17/2022 at 12:24 AM, Deadlines? What Deadlines? said:

I think it's fair to say Williams got a lot of inspiration from his favorite composers.

TwoSet Violin are fun guys for those who enjoy classical music. Good video to share.

Going to check out Andor soon. With Rogue Squadron off the schedule, and Patty Jenkins presumably off of it, I think it'd be a fine idea if the likely success of this show gets Gareth Edwards brought back to direct it for Lucasfilm based on whoever's script. His space battle in Rogue One was excellent, and all he really needs is a solid script to work from so that it's not a pieced together film.

9 hours ago, Werthead said:

Also, good choice for them to release the first three in one go. To be honest, I'm wondering if they should be doing that for the whole show. Releasing three episodes a week every week for four weeks would be quite cool. Apparently the next block of episodes gets heavily into Coruscant and Mon Mothma.

I think that's how Arcane and the Legend of Vox Machina were released.

Andor has made me really angry.

How can they make show that looks this good, is able to create a sense of a lived universe, isn’t completely moronic every 5 minutes and is seemingly written by adults for adults.. and yet being even halfway competent seems impossible for the makers of Boba Fett and Obi Wan.

Why couldn’t they be good?

16 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Why couldn’t they be good?

They didn't have someone of Tony Gilroy's caliber calling the shots. Plus he took the license of Rogue One's more grounded story and ran with it for this series. It's a lot closer to what mature fans of Star Wars want than The Book of Boba Fett, to say the least.

It's possible to think both are good, of course. I do.

(Though as good as the pieces of Andor are, I'm two 40-minute episodes in and nothing much has actually happened... I can recall other series getting pelters on this board for slow pace.)

2 minutes ago, Ran said:

They didn't have someone of Tony Gilroy's caliber calling the shots. Plus he took the license of Rogue One's more grounded story and ran with it for this series. It's a lot closer to what mature fans of Star Wars want than The Book of Boba Fett, to say the least.

It’s absolutely the mature show set in the Star Wars series  that I’ve been hoping for. It did more to create a believable universe in 10 minutes than Boba Fett or Obi Wan ( or the prequels and sequels) managed in their run time.

I wonder how much of a free reign they got with this show, it does seem far less constructed by commerical concerns or the need to tie into other properties. 

Im very happy with it so far, it gives me a glimmer of hope that this might lead to other good shows in not just the SW side of things but also in the MCU. 

19 minutes ago, mormont said:

It's possible to think both are good, of course. I do.

(Though as good as the pieces of Andor are, I'm two 40-minute episodes in and nothing much has actually happened... I can recall other series getting pelters on this board for slow pace.)

Episode 3 ramps things up very considerably, building off things established and set up fairly intelligently in the first two episodes.

The problem isn't a slow pace per se, but the slow pace has to be because it's putting things together and loading up its guns before firing them, which is what the likes of The Wire and Better Call Saul did. Other shows had a slow pace but weren't actually doing anything to warrant that, so ended up just being boring.

I think the comparison with Book of Boba Fett is justified: that was a show about a morally dubious protagonist in a conflicted, difficult situation with criminals and Imperial interests to worry about and it completely dropped the ball on how to handle that situation (it basically just decided that Boba Fett is a good guy now with dubious character growth reasons given for that). Andor has just taken the same idea and run with it in a much more genuine way.

It sounds like they're trying to do something similar with Star Wars that they've done with the Marvel shows - have them be styles of shows in those universes. This is their "srs drama" style. The reason bobf or obiwan aren't that is because that's a different style appealing to different people. 

Though obviously bobf and mandalorian are basically the same and the same show. That's more of a spin off than a different genre. 

Archived