Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Did the music remind anyone else of the Trent Reznor score for the HBO Watchmen show!

Still watching, but when Andor walked into the club at the start of the very first episode, the music and vibe made me wonder if I was watching Tron: Legacy...was distinctly Daft Punk to me...

I was...kinda bored through the first two episodes. It's very good looking and I like the plot as far as it goes, but I feel like more things need to happen. 

I do appreciate the robot being named B2EMO. 

I also don't like the random tribe of kids and andor backstory, at least so far. It's an interesting idea to make it a different language and make it feel more alien, but it just fell kinda flat to me. Not as bad as BoBF and his stupid tusken raider garbage, but still feeling irrelevant. 

Yeah I can’t say enough about how beautiful this show looks! It’s so spot on! 

Someone mentioned Blade Runner, yeah totally see that. Also there’s a shot where he enters the Cantina which could be a Nicolas Refn movie. I also LOVE the colour palette of that corporation elements. It hits that 70s sci fi vibe perfectly, all beige combined with those blue uniforms! It’s so great. 

Im so here for a show that looks this good.

6 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

I was...kinda bored through the first two episodes. It's very good looking and I like the plot as far as it goes, but I feel like more things need to happen. 

I do appreciate the robot being named B2EMO. 

I also don't like the random tribe of kids and andor backstory, at least so far. It's an interesting idea to make it a different language and make it feel more alien, but it just fell kinda flat to me. Not as bad as BoBF and his stupid tusken raider garbage, but still feeling irrelevant. 

So we were indeed not supposed to have subtitles during this, then? I didn't even notice at first but in the second scene maybe I was like wait??? are my subtitles not working?

Overall, good quality episodes but a bit slow in pace. Desolate/dusty salvage/ship-breaking world seems a little too par for the course for Star Wars somehow, that didn't grab me at all. I was also hoping to have seen Mon Mothma already. Fiona Shaw was a pleasant surprise! Hopefully she sticks around. 

Love it -- partly just how it is head and shoulders above Obi-Wan and Fett.

The Andor/Box interaction reminded me of Han/Leia on Hoth in the best ways. A lot of Andor was the best of Han -- as an homage.

Couple oddities (random thoughts):

-- Timm spelled with two 'm's but you'd only know if you looked on IMDb or has cc on. Just funny

-- Starting the show with 5 BBY without explanation. An unnecessary stumbling block for anyone that isn't hyper-invested. I knew and, perhaps unnecessarily, explained it to my wife who was super annoyed. Just say, "5 years before the events of A New Hope".

Enjoyed it pretty much so far. It is a nice origin story for somebody who eventually becomes a rebel operative.

That said - the story on the industrial planet is, especially the part about the antagonists being basically very low key corporation security people.

The whole indigenous tribal stuff background I didn't like so much. In a Star Wars setting this should then be an alien culture, not a bunch of humans living on some isolated planet for ... reasons. It all felt very generic, especially with so many scenes of them talking a foreign language with no subtitles.

While I'm sure that backstory is going to be developed upon more, the idea that just one race of humans (kind of 'dark people' like Andor) lives on that planet is really stretching things. The later implication clearly is that he looks like a guy from his homeworld and they had come up with a cover story that he was from another planet where such people are also quite common.

It was a good decision to have the original people crashing there be from the Republic, though ... one imagines that the Empire really starts to fuck things up there.

And, of course, having a key rebel operative be a guy with such an unusual background is a great idea. I think it would have worked much better if the guy hadn't been human, but that was a mistake began by Rogue One.

This is like the opposite side of the extreme to obi-wan, whereas the former was goofy and childish; Andor is more adult, which is cool, but with a plot that moves at a snail place, and rather bland characters. So far the one with the most personality is the droid.

I do really like the look of it though, and the more adult take. I hope it picks up and we get to see the birth of rebellion.

18 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

Enjoyed it pretty much so far. It is a nice origin story for somebody who eventually becomes a rebel operative.

That said - the story on the industrial planet is, especially the part about the antagonists being basically very low key corporation security people.

The whole indigenous tribal stuff background I didn't like so much. In a Star Wars setting this should then be an alien culture, not a bunch of humans living on some isolated planet for ... reasons. It all felt very generic, especially with so many scenes of them talking a foreign language with no subtitles.

While I'm sure that backstory is going to be developed upon more, the idea that just one race of humans (kind of 'dark people' like Andor) lives on that planet is really stretching things. The later implication clearly is that he looks like a guy from his homeworld and they had come up with a cover story that he was from another planet where such people are also quite common.

It was a good decision to have the original people crashing there be from the Republic, though ... one imagines that the Empire really starts to fuck things up there.

And, of course, having a key rebel operative be a guy with such an unusual background is a great idea. I think it would have worked much better if the guy hadn't been human, but that was a mistake began by Rogue One.

Guess you missed andors background - they're either the kids of the adults who were part of an empire mining organization or the indigenous survivors, but the whole thing was a failed mining colony from imperials.

9 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Guess you missed andors background - they're either the kids of the adults who were part of an empire mining organization or the indigenous survivors, but the whole thing was a failed mining colony from imperials.

You mean the tribal guys themselves are a kind of lost outworlder colony? That I didn't catch.

But Imperials have nothing to do with the flashbacks so far - the transport the children searched out was Republic. Later the Empire seemed to have run amok on that world.

1 minute ago, Lord Varys said:

But Imperials have nothing to do with the flashbacks so far - the transport the children searched out was Republic. Later the Empire seemed to have run amok on that world.

Aren't Imperials strip mining the planet? 

6 minutes ago, Relic said:

Aren't Imperials strip mining the planet? 

You mean Andor's original homeplanet? There was a mining/poison waste scandal there, which apparently also included Andor's original attack(s) on Imperial forces as well as his sister becoming a prostitute or sex slave.

At this point it seems to be pretty much destroyed.

But in the flashbacks everything seems to be still fine on the world, until that ship crashes. And Petunia Dursley says the ship they want to save Andor from is Republic, so this is either happening during or even before the Clone Wars. I expected before them, since Andor doesn't look like mid- or late-twenties as an adult.

3 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

You mean Andor's original homeplanet? There was a mining/poison waste scandal there, which apparently also included Andor's original attack(s) on Imperial forces as well as his sister becoming a prostitute or sex slave.

At this point it seems to be pretty much destroyed.

But in the flashbacks everything seems to be still fine on the world, until that ship crashes. And Petunia Dursley says the ship they want to save Andor from is Republic, so this is either happening during or even before the Clone Wars. I expected before them, since Andor doesn't look like mid- or late-twenties as an adult.

To be fair I think we need to judge Andor's age by Rogue One. The actor is older, but the character is younger.

The uniform patches on the crew of the crashed ship was that of the CIS, so there was some mistake in Maarva's dialogue. And the Republic ship that was in orbit was the likely reason for this ship crashing, so I would say it is during the Clone Wars.

I had assumed it was during the clone wars, but I had also assumed that Andor and the rest of the kids were abandoned from the failure of the strip mine; they go to the mining area and it is entirely deserted and there's no activity or sign of anything other than the crashed ship. 

I guess they could be some indigenous tribe, but if that's the case why do they have no adults? Or were all the adults taken as slaves and they left the kids behind? That seems kinda stupid, honestly, and I also don't get how that lines up with it being an Imperial mining operation either. 

I guess this is in general something I'm not super fond of, storytelling wise - being deliberately vague and obtuse to build up suspense for very basic facts. In Media Res is fine if a bit overused at times, but this just seems to be confusing for its own sake. 

12 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

To be fair I think we need to judge Andor's age by Rogue One. The actor is older, but the character is younger.

The uniform patches on the crew of the crashed ship was that of the CIS, so there was some mistake in Maarva's dialogue. And the Republic ship that was in orbit was the likely reason for this ship crashing, so I would say it is during the Clone Wars.

I overlooked the CIS batches. I wondered whether the folks from the downed ship where Separatists, though, since that would have explained why Petunia thought the Republic would kill them and Andor if they found them.

One would expect that the Republic doesn't just murder natives on a planet who slew a couple of people in self-defense and/or because of a misunderstanding.

I got kind of confused about this at first because I thought the point of the flashbacks was to show us Andor's first interaction with the Empire. Instead we get something that took place before that, although I expect we'll also see them getting back to the planet to show what happened there and how they first clashed with the Empire.

2 hours ago, Week said:

-- Starting the show with 5 BBY without explanation. An unnecessary stumbling block for anyone that isn't hyper-invested. I knew and, perhaps unnecessarily, explained it to my wife who was super annoyed. Just say, "5 years before the events of A New Hope".

Is this the first time they’ve actually used the BBY/ABY dating system on screen?

28 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

I overlooked the CIS batches. I wondered whether the folks from the downed ship where Separatists, though, since that would have explained why Petunia thought the Republic would kill them and Andor if they found them.

One would expect that the Republic doesn't just murder natives on a planet who slew a couple of people in self-defense and/or because of a misunderstanding.

I got kind of confused about this at first because I thought the point of the flashbacks was to show us Andor's first interaction with the Empire. Instead we get something that took place before that, although I expect we'll also see them getting back to the planet to show what happened there and how they first clashed with the Empire.

This short video has an interesting theory.

1 hour ago, Lord Varys said:

although I expect we'll also see them getting back to the planet to show what happened there and how they first clashed with the Empire.

At some point he needs a reason to believe his sister has become a prostitute off planet.  :dunno: 

1 minute ago, Jaxom 1974 said:

Wait. The planet that Andor is on as an adult isn't the same one the tribe of kids was on?  

When they were running down his background at corporate security, didn't they say that mining planet had been abandoned and reported as toxic.  (I wondered about that when all the dead ship crew looked like they had jaundice... :dunno: )

Archived