Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

On 9/28/2022 at 1:47 PM, sifth said:

Funny how this is the most mature I’ve seen SW be. No pointless action and over the top lightsaber crap. Heck it makes me feel like I’m watching The Wire at times. To think if not for a podcast I listen to, I might have skipped this show. It’s such a nice breath of fresh air.

Just caught up on the show and The Wire  was exactly what ran through my head a few times.

Suffice it to say, I love, love, love this show, but I think I am exactly the person this is targetted to. I am not a prequel/Clone Wars fan, have no particular allegiance to Dave Filoni’s take on things while acknowledging that Lucas seemed to trust him and vibe with him, and the elements that this show has focused on tells a story that I find compellingly mature and complex.

It is not for all Star Wars fans, but it is for this one!

Seeing the first arc take place in a Corporate Sector was terrific — when I first became completely obsessed with Star Wars in middle school, I ended up reading the early Han Solo novels by Brian Daley (published in 1979-1980!) which took place in a place ruled by the local Corporate Sector Authority. You get a real sense of transposition here — there’s something of the East India Company colonial authority doing the business of the British Empire, and now this new arc takes us to the imperial bureaucracy and officials a level above, even as we see the parallel development of the Rebellion.

Fantastic scoring, too. And it just looks wonderfully lived in, and really committed to replicating the look and feel of the technology circa the original series.

So far, I am definitely all in on it.

The episode didn't have enough Mon Mothma in it. Weren't we promised a riveting dinner with a couple of known evil characters? Did they skip over it?

OTOH, all the scenes on Aldhani were great. Good tension buildup and it's nice to give us enough of these characters who are likely going to die by this arc's end.

Am I the only one who read too much about what's wrong in this world with the two device comparison? :lol:

Give us the easy way to do something and we'll happily forget the past and let oppressive governments take over. It was like a Poli Sci 101 course over a campfire delivered with all the enthusiasm of a Sophomore college student. Nicely done.

Definitely a less engrossing episode, a bridging episode. I am fine with that, it's still full of drama and so much to like.

I get the sense this might be an episode where people with poor attention spans would check out of the show and give up on it though. This is clearly not for everyone, and anyone looking for swish swoosh lightsaber battles is going to be disappointed, especially with this episode.

I do keep thinking that this feels like a BBC espionage thriller that just so happens to be set in the SW universe, it really does have all the hallmarks of a Le Carre style with only the faintest whiff of George Lucas' fat fingers. 

It really is great. Its funny that while I was watching it my wife didn't realize it was star wars until the TIE fighter flew past. 

The tension and paranoia is really great. It doesn't feel like the wire to me - it feels like a spy thriller or something like the Thing. The authoritarian vibe is great too. 

It's really great. 

I loved the little family dramas of this episode. Has Star Wars ever really done that, even in the animated shows? Lots of parental dynamics, between Andor and Fiona Shaw, Mon Mothma, her daughter and her husband, the corporate guy and weird, controlling mom...

Just watched episode 5. I like the show, and look forward to new episodes.

That said, I think its more of a show to binge rather than watch 35 minutes a week because they sure hand out everything in tiny little pieces. Its like every episode is a teaser, or a prologue. There is some interesting scenes but you just wish there was more of it, either with a longer runtime or do more in the runtime you do have.

Pros so far:

Love seeing tie fighters, and Luthen's starship.

Generally the Luthen character is quite interesting.

Coruscant and its wondrous flying cars looks superb.

Actually getting a look at the imperial hierarchy, sub-commanders etc is fun

Mon Mothma is way more interesting than expected.

Cons: 

The rebel group is pretty boring so far and as expected the Andor character does little for me.

43 minutes ago, Calibandar said:

That said, I think its more of a show to binge rather than watch 35 minutes a week because they sure hand out everything in tiny little pieces.

Thought this myself, the show definitely worked better when they released 3 eps at once. Would I have praised this show so highly if they'd released it one ep at a time from the start? Maybe not because episode 2 was a bit slower and 3 ramped things up.

This last episode feels like it would be great to watch back to back with whatever happens next week, since it's mainly just setting things up and there is little in the way of event. 

Other than that, loving all the family dynamics. Having a controlling annoying mother berating someone at dinner being a large part of a SW episode is pretty new! 

Excellent show so far. I never expected to love a Star Wars series so much since I have never been much of a fan of the movies and none of the other TV series made in this setting looked appealing enough to give them a try. I probably wouldn't have given it a chance if not for all the praise in this thread, so thanks you guys.

This is science fiction done right. The writing is so much better than that of the average big budget SFF series, the visuals are spectacular while keeping the SFX at a pretty low level and it's gritty in a convincing way without being grimdark.

Count me as another one who’s really enjoying Andor. Rogue One is comfortably my favourite of the Disney Star Wars films so I suppose it’s not much of a surprise but this is a big step up from anything else Disney has done in the Star Wars universe for me.

I just sent this to my cousin:

Andor is a legit great show that just happens to be set in the Star Wars universe.  I have dreamed of a show/movie like this for years.

Then I complained to her that I still struggle to catch all the quiet fast dialogue in a British accent.  She told me to start watching Dr Who and I would catch on in no time.  :lol: 

4 hours ago, Calibandar said:

Just watched episode 5. I like the show, and look forward to new episodes.

That said, I think its more of a show to binge rather than watch 35 minutes a week because they sure hand out everything in tiny little pieces. Its like every episode is a teaser, or a prologue. There is some interesting scenes but you just wish there was more of it, either with a longer runtime or do more in the runtime you do have.

Ive decided to wait till all the episodes are out to watch this, for exactly that reason. 

49 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

How can anyone not understand English spoken properly??

Ain't proper English guv - not a single bugger, gobshite, bollocks or aluminium to be seen

Archived