Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

5 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

Holy crap this show is not faithful to the Star Wars universe

There is an imperial base and it CLEARLY HAS HAND RAILS ON THE STAIRS AND ALONG THE WALKWAYS

What the actual fuck guys

It's just a production error, they were clearly filming at a real dam and just forgot to CGI out all the hand rails :P they'll fix it later, like the coffee cup in GoT and jeans dude in Mando

9 minutes ago, KalVsWade said:

There is an imperial base and it CLEARLY HAS HAND RAILS ON THE STAIRS AND ALONG THE WALKWAYS

And no bottomless pits in sight.  How did they generate power without random bottomless pits?

41 minutes ago, Ran said:

I suspect it leaked out of the Imperial Senate to independent holonews. Wonder how long they'll last... (Why, yes! Yes, I would love it if they did a three episode arc about the last independent holonews media outlet(s)!)

That sounds… interesting.

1 hour ago, KalVsWade said:

Edit: ^point. I was mistaken.

8 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Lol, no cigar for you. That facility existed there before, the Empire just took over it. (I believe this is mentioned in ep. 4) The shrine in the valley existed for centuries; the river the dam kept at bay would have kept the valley flooded and the Empire surely wouldn't have dammed the river for the sake of the locals. They were planning on expanding the base by adding a new air base and destroying the valley. At which point, I'm sure the hand rails would have been removed, but until then no one had the ambition to get rid of them. :P

Pfft the first thing Imperials would do is take out the railings

And yeah, these arcs so far have been really, really great. There have been some slight pitfalls - things like taking the time with Andor when he was a kid still didn't work dramatically for me, and in this ep the cuts to the pilgrims felt like setting up a payoff that never came given that they kept showing how the pilgrims were very pissed off at the Empire - but it otherwise was just great work, period. 

And that's pretty high acclaim. Star Wars usually gets the credit of 'it's cool for Star Wars' and a lot of the plot holes, line readings and characterization garbage is excused because someone rode a Rancor around or something, but this doesn't have that at all. It has great economy of filming - things like Vel being nervous because she knows if she says go she's going to lose Cinta for quite some time. It has great pacing. It is shot beautifully. It pays off things left and right in both visual spectacle and story beats. 

@KalVsWade huh, so I went back to Ep. 4 and watched the mission brief scene. The Empire did dam the river, and built that base around the caverns. (It was the air base that they liberated). So yep, they built that dam and put safety rails everywhere. I would like to know who were the engineers who designed it so. I hope they were suitably "promoted" for doing something like this.

Btw, why can't I react to your posts?

@KalVsWade huh, so I went back to Ep. 4 and watched the mission brief scene. The Empire did dam the river, and built that base around the caverns. (It was the air base that they liberated). So yep, they built that dam and put safety rails everywhere. I would like to know who were the engineers who designed it so. I hope they were suitably "promoted" for doing something like this.

Clearly this was due to the Lieutenant's going native and taking on the ideologically impure ideals of the natives such as 'caring for safety of people' and 'not fishing bodies out of the dam all the time'. 

Though I will also point out that aesthetically lack of railings isn't an Imperial thing; we see that as early as Phantom Menace (complete with the giant Holes of Power that @Ser Scot A Ellison mentioned) and it appears to be a Republic architectural design viewpoint. We even see this regularly in SWTOR clips, if you want to call those canon. So really, the weird thing is why anything would have any actual safety railings anywhere in the Republic/Empire, even if it was built pre-Empire.

Btw, why can't I react to your posts?

I don't know! I must have reached the limit of likes or something like that with all the amazing comments I make

This episode just made it my second favorite Star Wars series. All that build up totally paid off. It was truly an epic, both in terms of visuals and feels. I do not remember being this excited in a long time. First is still Star Wars: Visions. 

3 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

To be fair, there is a DLT-19 heavy blaster mounted to the railing at the top of the dam.  

Also, not rails on the TIE access deck.  

Wonderfully done episode, best of the series so far (edging out 3, because these climactic episodes are a thing the series does really well). Solid, understated performances and beautiful visuals, good action scenes and a decent ending. I had the idea that this would be how it worked, three episode arcs, so I was expecting this one to pick up the pace.

My working theory while watching was that the locals were going to fuck up the heist by suicide-bombing the dam or taking out the Imperial commander, as they weren't stupid enough not to realise how he was about to screw them over for good. But the plot we did get was fine, I suppose. ;)

Andor is clearly going to read that manifesto...

Yeah, agreed with pretty much everyone else by the look of it, great episode.

On Andor joining back up with the Rebellion, I’ve been assuming the Imperial security bureaucrat we’ve been seeing is going to catch up with him/his family and push him into their arms a bit.

Step back for a moment and think what this show is really about, and what it is trying to do. This is better than what Lucas ever hoped to achieve.  

It is a very considered, relevant and even rebellious attack at what an imperialistic machine really is, inside and out, and how it justifiably spawns a rebellion. There is within all of us, the dream and need to subjugate worlds, to have one harmonious Empire, one order and this thing is showing us, why and how that system can go wrong, and what horrors it can spawn. The most important thing generated here is the manifesto, and that is obviously going to turn Andor, but how and when is going to be a treat. The show does not care a damn about diversity or inclusion, because it is brilliantly positioned not to, and it can fairly explore the issues involved with subjugation, propaganda, Fascism, slavery and even culture control in a fair and free way. Where this series is slowly and surely going towards, is the exact answer to many of the questions we have, independent of the prism of politics or history. This is a platform for storytelling, and the storytellers are for once really leveraging it in a very nice way. 

It has a heart of gold. I love it. 

54 minutes ago, mormont said:

Andor is clearly going to read that manifesto...

I definitely think so as well. I don't think it'll cause some immediate "Come to Jesus" realization, but I suspect it'll be something he finds himself drawn to again and again over the next episodes, and it becomes a touchstone for his eventual full embrace of the Rebellion.

6 hours ago, KalVsWade said:

I don't know! I must have reached the limit of likes or something like that with all the amazing comments I make

I would react with a "haha" emoji to this, but I can't react either.  Weird.

Great episode of a great series. Can’t agree more with what everyone is saying.  

As to the suggestion to release three episode arcs… if they do that, how are they supposed to keep everyone subscribed to Disney+ for three months?!!!?

Archived