Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

20 minutes ago, Myrddin said:

Karma Nazi says: No more internet karma for Kal!

Must be related to all the Warning Points...

I'll see if this change will make me more popular and give me the karma I need to validate my existence deserve

I’m late to this thread but wanted to say how much I’m enjoying Andor. 

I’m one of those rare beings that grew up on the OT and also loved the prequels. Although Gilroy is such a different kind of film maker than Lucas, this is the first SW film/ show after the prequels that really worked for me (I hope it stays that way). Maybe also Rogue One… Gilroy was attached to that as well or at least he script doctored parts of it. 

I just saw a recent YT video on what kind of film maker Lucas was and still is (he never really changed). He always saw movies as a visual medium of storytelling. If anyone cares to watch, I’ve pasted the link below:

On 10/12/2022 at 8:47 AM, Ran said:

There were bits of the episode, combined with the scoring, that reminded me a bit of the best of Michael Mann, which says something. 

Since you brought up Mann, I can’t wait for next year’s Ferrari movie.

31 minutes ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

This is apparently why we can't have nice things.

Why are people so awful? I'm not sure what exactly that graph is showing, but it seems to indicate that people aren't even looking at Andor, rather than trying it and not being impressed.The series name probably doesn't help. Something like "Star Wars: Dawn of the Rebellion" might have grabbed people's attention more than "Star Wars: That Boring Guy Who Dies in Rogue One". Hopefully word of mouth will result in it gradually building an audience.

Low ratings (if they are really low) won’t matter, Disney committed to tell the story of Andor and the start of the rebellion in two Seasons. Second season is already in development.

Does anyone know if Jimmy Smits will appear in the first season?

2 minutes ago, teej6 said:

Low ratings (if they are really low) won’t matter, Disney committed to tell the story of Andor and the start of the rebellion in two Seasons. Second season is already in development.

Does anyone know if Jimmy Smits will appear in the first season?

It matters if you want more things like andor. If you want more serious, slow burn dramas with on-location filming and greyer characters, this is not a good sign at all.

Now this isn't the only thing Disney will look at, and a lot of that is opaque to us. They'll look at new subscribers and how often they watch andor, they'll factor in the publicity and marketing bonuses they get for having something so critically acclaimed. They'll factor in how people who watch andor watch other things - or even buy Hulu or ESPN. They'll look at how often people renew. 

But it isn't a good sign.

That looks like a chart from Parrot Analytics.

What it looks like to me is that the novelty of Mando wore off as it proceeded, leaving less hype for Fett and then Kenobi, and then those in turn drained a lot of SW enthusiasm ahead of Andor which, combined with it's nondescript title and actually mature storytelling, now is left in the doldrums.

This is a problem of Disney's own making, alas.

But Andor absolutely is a show that could grow on word of mouth. It is genuinely very, very good.

36 minutes ago, Ran said:

That looks like a chart from Parrot Media.

What it looks like to me is that the novelty of Mando wore off as it proceeded, leaving less hype for Fett and then Kenobi, and then those in turn drained a lot of SW enthusiasm ahead of Andor...

Which is precisely why I almost didn't give it a try as well.

TRoS burned my interest in SW pretty badly and my interest in Mando suffered as well, I was pretty cynical on the finale and didn't really enjoy bringing Luke in like that.

I skipped Boba completely, wasn't enthusiastic about OBW and that took most of what little remained. As laughable as it was in the moment, the trench coat escape really damaged suspension of disbelief.

I'm glad I didn't try this until 5 episodes were out as that was plenty to see this was actually different to the rest.

I'm not sure we can entirely blame this on SW fatigue or the shittiness of ObiWan and Boba Fett. I wish it wasn't true but this show just doesn't have the swishy cool shit that gets people interested, there are almost no callbacks to recognisable SW stuff, it isn't based on any existing character that Disney can leech off of.

Plus it is basically a programme for grown ups, on a platform that is mainly designed for kids. 

Also I don't feel I've seen anywhere near the same level of marketing or buzz around this show than I would see for something like ObiWan. Sure I've seen posters and stuff, but very little mainstream chat about it. 

What I do see is a lot of critics saying its really good, but that doesn't mean anything. 

Maybe the show is just a bit of a loss leader for Disney, a prestige show that wins awards, restores their reputation.. but nobody watches it. 

Sad to say that the money men are probably right when it comes to making content. Don't try and make stuff good, just shove brightly coloured images and things that people recognise into viewers faces and watch them say thank you and ask for more.

50 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

it isn't based on any existing character that Disney can leech off of.

Cassian Andor appeared in Rogue One, which made over a billion dollars. They're even bringing Saw "Clone Wars" Gerrera into the next arc. And Mon Mothma is featuring.

So, I don't know, he's not one of the "big three" by any means, he's not an OT character and no doubt that's what you meant, but still, there were people who watched and loved Rogue One who probably thought this show was going to be interesting in part because it was Diego Luna reprising Andor and giving us his backstory. That it presented the closest thing Star Wars has ever had to a social novel on the screen is just a big bonus.

Just started this over the weekend and it quickly became my favorite of the Disney Star Wars shows. Binged all 6 episodes in a row and wish I had more. It's nice to see a show that appeals to the adult fans. 

8 hours ago, teej6 said:

I’m late to this thread but wanted to say how much I’m enjoying Andor. 

I’m one of those rare beings that grew up on the OT and also loved the prequels. Although Gilroy is such a different kind of film maker than Lucas, this is the first SW film/ show after the prequels that really worked for me (I hope it stays that way). Maybe also Rogue One… Gilroy was attached to that as well or at least he script doctored parts of it. 

I just saw a recent YT video on what kind of film maker Lucas was and still is (he never really changed). He always saw movies as a visual medium of storytelling. If anyone cares to watch, I’ve pasted the link below:

The prequel trilogy was garbage… but visually interesting.  Unfortunately for Lucas films are more than a mere visual medium.

A much… quieter… episode.  You can’t go home again.  I wonder what the droid wanted to say?  Was the recording in Luthen’s shop blackmail material… just in case?  Luthen’s… partner? Has to be one of the most striking women I have ever seen.  She moves with such deliberate… power.  She looks like she’s hunting… perhaps she is?  

Saw Gerrera next week with a prison break?

Archived