Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

20 minutes ago, Relic said:

Yeah, they are basically going for 4 arcs of 3 episodes each in this first season. 

I think this episode was a standalone, a gear shift for Cassian himself, and for the status of the galaxy as the Empire starts heavier crack downs.

2 hours ago, Corvinus85 said:

I think this episode was a standalone, a gear shift for Cassian himself, and for the status of the galaxy as the Empire starts heavier crack downs.

Luthen’s delight at the heavier crack downs counter-balanced against Mon Mothma’s dismay was interesting.  Andor isn’t the only one facing a choice.  Will the banker or Mon Mothma’s husband be her betrayer?  Or her daughter?

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

A much… quieter… episode.  You can’t go home again.  I wonder what the droid wanted to say?  Was the recording in Luthien’s shop blackmail material… just in case?  Luthien’s… partner? Has to be one of the most striking women I have ever seen.  She moves with such deliberate… power.  She looks like she’s hunting… perhaps she is?  

FYI it's just Luthen, you've got Tolkein elves on the brain. I just can't get over how something about her evokes Carrie Fisher for me which is extra weird when her characters name (Kleya) rhymes with Leia. 

No idea what was going on with the recording, she's already got far more than enough to get him disappeared so if it is betrayal it's got to be either for the rebellions sake or personal gain.

I need to rewatch the end because I was distracted, but I wasn't sure if the arrest and sentencing was in the present or a flash back to when he was first imprisoned - something gave me the vibe of a time gap. That said the increased sentence certainly suggests it was just me being distracted and getting confused.

Yeah a slower episode for sure, not an issue for me. Seeing the pieces fit in place is just as engrossing as any heist. 

Fiona Shaw was especially brilliant this episode, I wish she was in it more. I realised if you are going to recast Doctor Who and you still want it to be a woman, she would be my first pick. 

I really liked the beach retirement planet which is like a sci fi Eastbourne (or I guess Florida for yanks?)

19 minutes ago, karaddin said:

FYI it's just Luthen, you've got Tolkein elves on the brain. I just can't get over how something about her evokes Carrie Fisher for me which is extra weird when her characters name (Kleya) rhymes with Leia. 

The actor rather favors Carrie Fisher.  Same intensity same feel of quiet determination.  Sorry about the spelling.

6 minutes ago, Heartofice said:

Fiona Shaw was especially brilliant this episode, I wish she was in it more. I realised if you are going to recast Doctor Who and you still want it to be a woman, she would be my first pick. 

I always recognize her immediately and forget what I know her from, only to remember she's always fantastic when I remember/look her up.

Just now, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Sorry about the spelling.

Not something that needs an apology, just thought it was amusing when it was pretty obvious where it was coming from.

Also I only just realized that watching with subtitles on is the only reason I know how it's spelt, which is not how most people watch lol. Unfair advantage.

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Luthen’s delight at the heavier crack downs counter-balanced against Mon Mothma’s dismay was interesting.  Andor isn’t the only one facing a choice.  Will the banker or Mon Mothma’s husband be her betrayer?  Or her daughter?

Technically Mon is safe(ish) not because of where she ends up, but because of a plot that happened in Star Wars: Rebels which is what triggers her open rebellion and running from the Empire. So while I expect a betrayal I'm not sure it will lead directly to her being hunted for treason.

6 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Technically Mon is safe(ish) not because of where she ends up, but because of a plot that happened in Star Wars: Rebels which is what triggers her open rebellion and running from the Empire. So while I expect a betrayal I'm not sure it will lead directly to her being hunted for treason.

So… she should remain in the Senate up until right before Rogue 1?

15 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

So… she should remain in the Senate up until right before Rogue 1?

If you must know, this is what causes her to leave and it happens in 2 BBY. We've already gotten some dialogue from her regarding her eventual involvement, so I am curious if they will show that event. Didn't they say there will be time jumps this season?

1 hour ago, karaddin said:

I need to rewatch the end because I was distracted, but I wasn't sure if the arrest and sentencing was in the present or a flash back to when he was first imprisoned - something gave me the vibe of a time gap. That said the increased sentence certainly suggests it was just me being distracted and getting confused.

The increased sentence is a result of the recent crackdown, so yeah not a flashback.

I love this show. Love, love, love. Luthen and Mon, Mon Mothma revealing herself to Tay all while pretending to be chatting about happy childhood days, Maarva choosing to actively support the Rebellion because of Aldhani not realizing that Cassian was involved, Anton Lesser conducting his meetings like some sort of Oxford don practicing the Socratic method... just inject it straight into my veins. I love it. It's wonderful.

And yeah, Fiona Shaw was so moving. Now we saw why Cassian was in juvenile detention for awhile, and what happened to Clem.

Absolutely my favorite show of the year. It's just ridiculously well-made. It's "quiet", this episode, but never boring.

Just now, Kalnestk Oblast said:

Didn't Mon Mothma mention the Ghormans and was proposing a bill for them at the end of last episode before they were interrupted with the Adhani heist news?

Yep. Their shipping lanes had been cut, and she was trying to have a bill passed to provide relief.

A slow ep as mentioned, but lovely ramifications and tension, beautiful sets, clear movement of characters based on previously established motivations, and great music. 

I fear that this forum is going to lean heavily on loving precisely this sort of thing - this is some of the best parts of the political ramifications and character studies that made Game of Thrones so compelling in the first place - and that we aren't a great representation of the tastes. But man is it representative of mine. 

I love this show as well, especially the second three episode arc.  But, I do have to ask if this is good episodic story telling.   

Episodes 4,5, & 6 constitute as a whole a great story.  The action and suspense in episode 6 is only made possible by the slower character driven elements set up in episodes 4 & 5.  But personally I found that as individual episodes, 4 & 5 might have been too much of a slow burn by themselves, with fairly arbitrary endings as to both.  

Ideally, each episode should be able to stand on their own, while also being able to tell a larger story combined with the other episodes.  I wonder if Andor would have been better served as releasing these arcs together (like they did with the first three episodes) as opposed to releasing them as three seperate epidodes.

Yeah, I think Arcane was really good for this too - releasing 3 3-ep arcs that were largely standalone made each arc really anticipated but also allowed for you to consume each story, and it was okay if one of the eps was slow. The alternative I guess would simply be to have 3 giant eps instead of 9 smaller eps. The problem is that there really isn't much to talk about when the ep is mostly setup with very little action. The Wire had the same kind of problem, and Breaking Bad did as well - but both of those work much better as binge TV instead of episodic. Having at least some events and actions helps keep the pace and talk about things week to week. 

That said I'm not sure if Ep 7 is going to actually be a 'new' arc or is just the epilogue of the 4-6 arc. We've heard we're going to have time jumps and a change in style, but we've not really seen that with this ep so far. 

I think that's a criticism that could be levelled at the first arc but this episode stands alone (well, you need to have seen episode 2/3, but dramatically).

What I like about this episode is that it provides something we don't often see in Star Wars but that we really need, which is the sense of crushing futility that any dystopia needs - and the Empire must be a dystopia. That long shot of Syril as almost literally a cog in the machine: that was great. We've already seen (and get more here of) the bureaucracy of the Empire reflected in the ISB politics. Mon Mothma being unable to escape observation even in her own home. These are good, but it's Syril's fate that communicates the despair. And then that's contrasted with the hope of Maarva, which Cassian inspired - but doesn't feel himself! And then to finish with Maarva being proved right, and Cassian getting ground up by the system when he actually didn't do anything this time. (Even the audience still don't really understand what was going on.) Great writing.

15 minutes ago, mormont said:

I think that's a criticism that could be levelled at the first arc but this episode stands alone (well, you need to have seen episode 2/3, but dramatically).

What I like about this episode is that it provides something we don't often see in Star Wars but that we really need, which is the sense of crushing futility that any dystopia needs - and the Empire must be a dystopia. That long shot of Syril as almost literally a cog in the machine: that was great. We've already seen (and get more here of) the bureaucracy of the Empire reflected in the ISB politics. Mon Mothma being unable to escape observation even in her own home. These are good, but it's Syril's fate that communicates the despair. And then that's contrasted with the hope of Maarva, which Cassian inspired - but doesn't feel himself! And then to finish with Maarva being proved right, and Cassian getting ground up by the system when he actually didn't do anything this time. (Even the audience still don't really understand what was going on.) Great writing.

I’ve been trying to figure out where they are going with Syril.  He has given indications of being obessed with Andor… but it hasn’t gone anywhere.  Just showing him as how caring citizens get ground down is an interesting idea…

Archived