Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

7 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

the Rebel Alliance picture is starting to come into focus

As a kid it was just the name of the “Good Guys”.  It interesting to see them explore the meaning and political difficulties of the “Alliance” part of “Rebel Alliance”.  Is Saw an Anarchist?

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

As a kid it was just the name of the “Good Guys”.  It interesting to see them explore the meaning and political difficulties of the “Alliance” part of “Rebel Alliance”.  Is Saw an Anarchist?

That was the implication based on the dialogue + he's appearance in Rogue One and Rebels.

51 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Me too.  I’m still very curious to see where they go with Siryl.  He’s clearly a believer.  I wonder if the ISB sees that as a liability?

I think there is a strong hint of irony there. In his pursuit to be an upstanding citizen and ensure that the law is enforced, he acts rebelliously. The coin is flipping in the air for Siryl Karn. 

The whole stuff with how he dresses is part of this. He is not satisfied with the standard clothing, he always needs to alter them to his own preferences.

This episode was great. Very THX-1138, those prison outfits. And who knew we were getting the origin story of Snoke? :rofl:

Syril's story is especially interesting. Loving the actor's performance, and his standing up for himself. I also rather liked how Meero warned him off... not so much because she wanted to help him stay out of trouble, IMO, but because I think she didn't want the others in the ISB getting wind of whatever information he had and trying to get the jump on her to take over the investigation given that it's getting the favor of her superiors.

Best touch about the forced prison labor is that we've no clue what the hell those industrial pieces of machining are for, right? Or at least, I don't think it was addressed. It doesn't matter, they're just cogs in a machine to spit these things out because the Empire wants them. 

Saw's definitely an anarchist, and I do love the fact that the rebellion is a bunch of factions  who are at loggerheads and ineffective because of it. Luthen and Mon Mothma are obviously going to be pivotal in putting the "Alliance" in the "Rebel Alliance". 

Last but not least, I hope Bix makes it...

(Oh yeah, and a nice scene between Vel and Cinta. I gather Vel is the one who's the woman from a rich family trying to escape them.)

7 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Makes me think… given Vel’s hesitation during the mission… that Cinta should have been in charge.

Maybe. I suspect Vel's background is what got her in touch with Luthen and is what led to her founding/leading their little cell of the rebellion. 

Yeah, Vel is the 'nobility' part who is fleeing her rich girl status and kinda slumming it for love. Cinta is the true believer. 

It's starting to pick up, and Oz in Star Wars is an interesting touch (and we almost got our first nudity in Star Wars!), but the prison stuff needs to pick up, or Andor needs to do more in it instead of being just a passive observer. I'm okay establishing the banal horror of the prison factory; the show does a good job of industrializing repression and showing the terrifying inhumanity of it all. But I feel like there needs to be a bit more active behavior there. 

Going back to Ferrix - with Val, Cinta, Bix and Maarva as well as the ISB is a nice bit though, and I wish we were getting more of that.

Saw and Luthen together...god damn those are good actors. 

I think Andor as passive observer makes sense because you can see how intense he is about it -- he's a very "active" passive observer: he's already committing to memory every detail to try and figure out how to escape. Realizing that there are people who know sign language and are able to send messages between levels, the way they organize prisoner transfers, etc. 

1 hour ago, Ran said:

Best touch about the forced prison labor is that we've no clue what the hell those industrial pieces of machining are for, right? Or at least, I don't think it was addressed. It doesn't matter, they're just cogs in a machine to spit these things out because the Empire wants them. 

No, you're right, just another cog in the war machine. But my guess is some kind of joint or transmission frame for a walker, AT-ST based on the size.

1 hour ago, Ran said:

(Oh yeah, and a nice scene between Vel and Cinta. I gather Vel is the one who's the woman from a rich family trying to escape them.)

I've been believing that Vel is Luthen's daughter, or a relative at least. The way he yells at her in episode 4, "you wanted to lead, this is what it takes" suggests she asked/begged him for this. And his extreme worry about the mission could have had another meaning, besides it succeeding.

1 hour ago, Corvinus85 said:

I've been believing that Vel is Luthen's daughter, or a relative at least. The way he yells at her in episode 4, "you wanted to lead, this is what it takes" suggests she asked/begged him for this. And his extreme worry about the mission could have had another meaning, besides it succeeding.

Along those lines what is his relationship with Kleya?  On the surface it appears shop owner and assistant.  She’s clearly more than a mere assistant.

11 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

The animation isn’t my favorite… but it is filling some holes in the story nicely.

It's pretty much the same as Clone Wars for style. 

And i agree. It is filling holes. My one initial criticism is the ordering of the stories. And that's pretty minimal in my estimation, as it was a full season drop at once.

14 hours ago, Ran said:

Never having been a post-Genady Tartakovsky Clone Wars fans, it's not something I've watched.

I'm a huge fan of anything Tartakovsky and it took me a very long time to emotionally get over the way Lucas pretty much discarded his excellent Clone wars animation ( and it is excellent btw, maybe the best SW property for quite a few years) and basically replace is with one of the ugliest tv shows I have ever seen. 

Funnily enough Andor has rekindled my love for the SW universe in a way that I thought had been lost and I've been attempting to go back and watch all the animated shows I could never make it through before. The problem with ' Ugly Clone Wars' is that I am aware it gets very good apparently, but it is really pretty bad for at least 2 seasons from my experience and it takes an enormous amount of effort to get through it. If I can just get past that maybe I will watch the rest.

And just a brief word on the latest Andor episode, I mentioned in the Rings of Power thread that special effects don't wow me, everything looks the same, who cares.. but for some reason I am in a constant state of awe at the locations and shots in Andor. The water prison planet is jaw dropping, the shot where Cassian looks out the window to see the prison took my breath away. It's amazing how much good, well thought out design affects my enjoyment of a show. 

Archived