Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

2 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

It is kind of glaring how few non-human species show up in Andor and the other real action TV shows whereas they are all over the place in the animated shows (notably in Tales of the Jedi which came out just now) but also in the comics.

One assumes it's part of going for that 70's vibe/ascetic of the show... no money for proper aliens back then, so let's not change that now...

(And that's meant tongue in cheek...)

7 minutes ago, Lord Varys said:

One imagines that is more a legacy of the Clone Wars where the clones were human and all the military gear was designed to suit humans.

Now, why other humanoid species didn't also serve in the Imperial military is a valid question. One that should be addressed in some manner.

It is kind of glaring how few non-human species show up in Andor and the other real action TV shows whereas they are all over the place in the animated shows (notably in Tales of the Jedi which came out just now) but also in the comics.

Admittedly, much of my recollection comes from what is now Legends stuff, but IIRC, Palpatine was decidedly human first.  

I personally thought it was interesting that when they were processing Andor post sentencing, they asked each of the inmates their homeworld and directed them to a ship/penal installation accordlingly.  One would assume that this is some kind of compatibility issue - not just the electro floors, but also the nutrient paste feed (and less expensive in costuming and effects).  Logistically, it does make a great deal sense to tailor installations to a specific set of needs and limitations and also suggests that, perhaps, Andor's upper level of shock resistance may be higher than the fatal setting, given that he was processed based on false identity and planet of origin.

As I wrote in the genreal thread, I'm enjoying this show quite a lot. Political and character drama is pretty much my thing. I know next to nothing about SW, so I have a few questions that maybe the SW afficionados might be able to answer:

- Why did Andor's tribe consist only of teens and kids?

- Is it normal for SW to have so few women compared to men? I don't mean as protagonists, just generally. I get that apparently the corporate cops, Troopers etc are men only, and some settings, like a men's prison, are self-explanatory. (Although, thinking of it... real-life men's prisons do have some women working there.) But there are also few women in that council etc. Is there an in-universe reason for this?

I had some more questions but forgot, hopefully they'll come back to me.

40 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Why did Andor's tribe consist only of teens and kids?

I suspect there is a story there that we have not been told. They look like they are tribal, but their clothing and equipment seemed to be in many cases recycled pieces of higher tech fabric and materials. I'm guessing something wiped out the adults, leaving the children behind to fend for themselves.

40 minutes ago, Mindwalker said:

Is it normal for SW to have so few women compared to men?

This is partially an artifact of the origins of Star Wars in 1970s America. That said, I think it can be seen that the Empire is a fascist state that is not just xenophobic, but also sexist. It's interesting that the gender balance of the rebels we've met so far is miles ahead of the Imperials and Imperial-adjacents (like Pre-Mor corporate security). 

Why is Palpitane so… “evil”…?  Is he a sociopath and thinks being “evil” is fun?  Normally, there is some rationalistion for “evil” behavior… the “evil” person believes they are operating for the “greatet good”.  Palpitane is literally a mustache twirling villian without facial hair.  

Why?

1 hour ago, Heartofice said:

Essentially the story of the children is that Captain Walker got in his metal bird and flies to the sky, just before the Pox-Eclipse and only a few were left with the knowing.

That went right over my head.

49 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why is Palpitane so… “evil”…?  Is he a sociopath and thinks being “evil” is fun?  Normally, there is some rationalistion for “evil” behavior… the “evil” person believes they are operating for the “greatet good”.  Palpitane is literally a moustashe twirling villian without facial hair.  

Why?

My headcanon is essentially Robot Chicken Palpatine: He just went into politics because he loves the power trip and in contrast to Vader's self-loathing he's just constantly drunk on the Dark Side and wants a good time.

(specifically because of that I find the people taking Thrawn's take that Palpatine created the Empire to fight the Vong in Legends at face-value quite hilarious. He almost definitely couldn't care less and just found that to be a convenient carrot to hold in front of Thrawn to make him join the Empire)

2 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why is Palpitane so… “evil”…?  Is he a sociopath and thinks being “evil” is fun?  Normally, there is some rationalistion for “evil” behavior… the “evil” person believes they are operating for the “greatet good”.  Palpitane is literally a mustache twirling villian without facial hair.  

Why?

If there was just a kind of dark magic that gave people power if they gave in to "negative" emotions. Maybe that would explain some things!

My headcanon - and I have no idea if it's right or not - is the following:

- Palpatine grew up on Naboo and had a deep hatred of the multicultural elite bullshit there, and hated the Gungans specifically

- He was taught about the Sith and how persecuted they were and wanted revenge on everything the Jedi stood for - and for him, that included things like representation and justice.

- He aligned himself with people who saw the chaos and failures of the Republic and wanted a stronger hand; he doesn't particularly care about the brutal methods (just unlimited power) but folks like Tarkin absolutely do

- The human-centric part of the Republic has been long the largest population but was going to become a minority, and that was causing resentment as dirty Wookies were stealing all the jobs and women

7 hours ago, Mindwalker said:

- Is it normal for SW to have so few women compared to men? I don't mean as protagonists, just generally. I get that apparently the corporate cops, Troopers etc are men only, and some settings, like a men's prison, are self-explanatory. (Although, thinking of it... real-life men's prisons do have some women working there.) But there are also few women in that council etc. Is there an in-universe reason for this?

Yes.  The marketing and merchandising people think that no one will buy the girl toys.

Tales of the Jedi was so good. There was so much more that could've been done with Dooku, both here and definitely in the PT. Now I want a Tales of Padawan Qui-Gon Jin!

The Ahsoka episodes were 100% pandering to ahsoka / clone wars fans, which is absolutely valid (I'm one of them). Andor is giving me hope that maaaybe Star Wars is capable of decent live action, so hopefully they won't ruin Ahsoka in her show. 

All the comments here have me highly intirgued about Andor. I thought I was done with Star Wars - it seemed far too silly to be something I could get into, even though I do like aspects of the world building. 

I love most of the stuff Gilroy has worked on, and it does sound like Andor has its sights well above the mediocrity that seems to be standard to Star Wars (at least the material I've been exposed to).

I'll probably wait until the season is complete and then try it out. I'm looking forward to it!

10 hours ago, IFR said:

All the comments here have me highly intirgued about Andor. I thought I was done with Star Wars - it seemed far too silly to be something I could get into, even though I do like aspects of the world building. 

I love most of the stuff Gilroy has worked on, and it does sound like Andor has its sights well above the mediocrity that seems to be standard to Star Wars (at least the material I've been exposed to).

I'll probably wait until the season is complete and then try it out. I'm looking forward to it!

I hate binge watching shows.  I feel like it turns me into a zombie staring at my phone.

Archived