Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff

IlyaP

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I hate binge watching shows.  I feel like it turns me into a zombie staring at my phone.

You watch on your phone?

You who eschew the e-reader in all forms???

I don't even know who you are anymore.

2 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My TV was built and purchased in 1995.  I have no mechanism to stream but my phone.

I can respect that.

(Although, couldn't you watch on a desktop or laptop for a bigger screen at least???)

4 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

My TV was built and purchased in 1995.  I have no mechanism to stream but my phone.

Hmmmm...  Here's an HDMI to AV Converter...

I wonder if you could get an Apple TV or Roku of some sort and then hook the HDMI to this converter and watch it on your glorious tube based TV.  :dunno:

On 10/28/2022 at 6:16 PM, hauberk said:

Admittedly, much of my recollection comes from what is now Legends stuff, but IIRC, Palpatine was decidedly human first. 

As I said, in certain early EU publications like the original Zahn novels. Others didn't push this angle with Palpatine specifically, and it all but disappeared when the PT started. Rightfully, so, considering that the entire staff of Palpatine we see in the movies as well as his first apprentice are non-humans (and his master, too, as it turned out - Lucas himself decided that Darth Plagueis was a Muun).

On 10/28/2022 at 6:16 PM, hauberk said:

I personally thought it was interesting that when they were processing Andor post sentencing, they asked each of the inmates their homeworld and directed them to a ship/penal installation accordlingly.  One would assume that this is some kind of compatibility issue - not just the electro floors, but also the nutrient paste feed (and less expensive in costuming and effects).  Logistically, it does make a great deal sense to tailor installations to a specific set of needs and limitations and also suggests that, perhaps, Andor's upper level of shock resistance may be higher than the fatal setting, given that he was processed based on false identity and planet of origin.

That is all possible - I interpreted it as home planet being part of the algorithm they use to determine threat level. If you are from the wrong planet you go to more unpleasant facility.

20 hours ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Why is Palpitane so… “evil”…?  Is he a sociopath and thinks being “evil” is fun?  Normally, there is some rationalistion for “evil” behavior… the “evil” person believes they are operating for the “greatet good”.  Palpitane is literally a mustache twirling villian without facial hair.  

Why?

I think the more poignant question is why the hell is he first so competent and subtle ... and then somebody who implements and presides over a totalitarian system that is clearly broken. It is clear in Andor how and why folks are not going to take this shit much longer, but somebody as smart like Palpatine should have been able to use the carrot more often than the stick.

I guess you can perhaps make sense of it as the Empire being a very large political entity, so even a Sith Lord Emperor cannot prevent internal corruption and petty ambition ruining it.

19 hours ago, Toth said:

My headcanon is essentially Robot Chicken Palpatine: He just went into politics because he loves the power trip and in contrast to Vader's self-loathing he's just constantly drunk on the Dark Side and wants a good time.

I think his semi-official biography in the Darth Plagueis novel gives us a pretty good picture of the man without putting us too much into his head. In the end he is clearly a very smart kid who was always driven by insane ambition. In the end, the Sith are just his way to get what he wants.

And to be sure - immortal Clone Palpatine as per both the EU and TROS fits quite nicely with all that. Taking over the Republic, destroying the Jedi (mainly because they would have stopped the creation of the Empire, not because he owed it to the Sith or the memory of long dead Darth Bane), building super weapons, etc. was all part of the ultimate goal to become all-powerful and immortal.

19 hours ago, Toth said:

(specifically because of that I find the people taking Thrawn's take that Palpatine created the Empire to fight the Vong in Legends at face-value quite hilarious. He almost definitely couldn't care less and just found that to be a convenient carrot to hold in front of Thrawn to make him join the Empire)

LOL, yes, that seems to be Zahn's weirdo apologetic take on the Empire. He started with creating 'the good Imperials' with Thrawn and Pellaeon and apparently always had problems with their honor being besmirched by the fact that they served Evil Palpatine and the 'evil Galactic Empire' as per the crawl of ANH.

You also have that kind of thing in Mara Jade as 'the Emperor's Hand' which is basically the wet dream of a follower in any authoritarian regime - the good little tin soldiers in the Empire are all in danger from corrupt Imperial officials and bureaucrats and the Emperor's Hand invested with magical mandates to right every wrong (I'm using hyperbole there, of course, but basically that's her job description).

18 hours ago, Kalnestk Oblast said:

My headcanon - and I have no idea if it's right or not - is the following:

- Palpatine grew up on Naboo and had a deep hatred of the multicultural elite bullshit there, and hated the Gungans specifically

Nah, that is not the case. Palpatine has an aristocratic background, but his father Cosinga is actually a Naboo traditionalist, very much opposed to the planet throwing themselves in with the big conglomerates in the Republic ... and that's part of the reason why his son murders him and the rest of the family.

Of course, the Palpatines - as all the human colonists on Naboo - actually come from the Core World of Grizmallt https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Grizmallt/Legends (this whole thing didn't change with the 'new canon'), preferring the old and lavish wardrobe styles that are quite common among the Naboo.

Naboo as a planet looks like some backwater world ... but it actually isn't. At least not historically. The people there are like a lost colony of the British Empire, say.

- He was taught about the Sith and how persecuted they were and wanted revenge on everything the Jedi stood for - and for him, that included things like representation and justice.

Nope, he just wanted power and immortality.

- The human-centric part of the Republic has been long the largest population but was going to become a minority, and that was causing resentment as dirty Wookies were stealing all the jobs and women

That also doesn't really sit well with the setting. There are human Core Worlds who like to put themselves first ... but the idea that there is a broad movement against non-human workers, etc. is just not really the case. It can't, if you consider what Coruscant actually is.

Just now, Lord Varys said:

I think the more poignant question is why the hell is he first so competent and subtle ... and then somebody who implements and presides over a totalitarian system that is clearly broken. It is clear in Andor how and why folks are not going to take this shit much longer, but somebody as smart like Palpatine should have been able to use the carrot more often than the stick.

I think this is the flip side of the same question.

20 minutes ago, David Selig said:

BTW, as someone who's played Witcher 3 an awful lot I love that the Yennefer voice actor plays an ambitious ISB lieutenant. here. She is so good.

Meero is Yenn? Did not know! 

Archived