Jump to content

Warring Across the Stars...With their...Wars....and Stuff


IlyaP
 Share

Recommended Posts

That was indeed a great episode, and the impact of each death, quick and merciless, were keenly felt. Also this episode had the best imperial soldiers, actually hitting people who were at least in the open. The visuals along with the score during the flight scene were absolutely mesmerizing.

1 hour ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m curious about how they pull Andor back in.

He clearly has honor. He'll likely read the manifesto and decide to reconnect with Luthen. Although, the way the episode ended, we might not know if he even gets off the planet and simply goes back to the others.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

He clearly has honor. He'll likely read the manifesto and decide to reconnect with Luthen. Although, the way the episode ended, we might not know if he even gets off the planet and simply goes back to the others.

Undoubtedly he has honor.  Giving back the Kyber Crystal as well as only taking his cut will speak for his honor and credibility.  But Andor is a cynic… not a believer.  He’s been burned quite clearly and doesn’t trust the nacient rebellion.  

What makes him put on a uniform as we see him in R1?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Undoubtedly he has honor.  Giving back the Kyber Crystal as well as only taking his cut will speak for his honor and credibility.  But Andor is a cynic… not a believer.  He’s been burned quite clearly and doesn’t trust the nacient rebellion.  

What makes him put on a uniform as we see him in R1?

He also hates the empire a lot as well, and I'm assuming will eventually be won round to the cause and stop thinking about himself. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Jesus, this show is incredibly good. I had expected a lot from it, from everything I'd read and seen, but this is outdoing it. It's so cinematic. There were bits of the episode, combined with the scoring, that reminded me a bit of the best of Michael Mann, which says something. I think House of the Dragon has been pretty solid and even great at times, but so far this is the best show of the year in my book.

Only one little false note for me: the way-too-obvious Kalashnikov pretending to be a blaster that Vel was using. They usually dress them up to make them look more science fictional.

@slant

That was indeed Alfie Todd as Jayhold's son. But he played Willem Blackwood, not Sam Blackwood.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Oh... latest episode is sooo exciting, I had to stop watching. My smartwatch gave me a high heart rate alert lol. 

The underwater scene with the bolides passing overhead was so cool. The eye was spectacular. I am going to take a break, calm down, and finish the last fifteen minutes of the episode. 

It is too much. Ooof. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, slant said:

Oh... latest episode is sooo exciting, I had to stop watching. My smartwatch gave me a high heart rate alert lol. 

Hah, Linda remarked she could see I was nervous as the heist proceeded. Like, I know how it is going to go -- not everyone will survive, Andor will get out -- but even so the cinematic tension-building still worked.

If the six episodes that follow are as good as these past six, it's a best-of-the-year type of show and not just best-genre-show-of-the-year type of show.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

Again, this catch is the seed money that is used to create the stand up Rebel military… yes?

Likely, but we have not been told yet. 

I was surprised about how little of it was taken in the end, but I assume that was the plan all along + they had to rush. I wonder why there were no droids around, like loading droids and such. But I liked that the lieutenant had whittled down the personnel there to just enough that they could be managed and have a workforce to help load the freighter at gun point.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

32 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Likely, but we have not been told yet. 

I was surprised about how little of it was taken in the end, but I assume that was the plan all along + they had to rush. I wonder why there were no droids around, like loading droids and such. But I liked that the lieutenant had whittled down the personnel there to just enough that they could be managed and have a workforce to help load the freighter at gun point.

Given how long it took them to load they’d have needed an hour or more to pull that off.  They were never going to have that much time.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loading droids would have been nice to see, I admit, but not an issue.

If I had a single fault for their plan, it was leaving the communications officer up there unmolested rather than capturing him and tying him up. The only reason things went pear-shaped is because he sussed out that something was wrong, picked up the Rebel chatter, and gathered a team. 

OTOH, it really didn't seem like they had much more time, since their plan partially depended on the timing of the Eye and using it to cover their getaway. That's why they kept counting down how many minutes they had left as things proceeded.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooof... Rogue One is my favorite Star Wars film, I wrote about it here, and this series just really made me appreciate it much more. Like Mad Max was intense, but this was on another level. The visuals combined with how invested I was in the team, and the build up of the tension, and the almost anime visuals of the TIE fighters... it was a very special episode. I stopped watching just when the action peaked. Just. WoW! 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, Ser Scot A Ellison said:

I’m a little surprised, in a regime as oppressive as the Galactic Empire, news of the heist was made public at all.  Certainly not that quickly…

I suspect it leaked out of the Imperial Senate to independent holonews. Wonder how long they'll last... (Why, yes! Yes, I would love it if they did a three episode arc about the last independent holonews media outlet(s)!)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

43 minutes ago, Ran said:

If I had a single fault for their plan, it was leaving the communications officer up there unmolested rather than capturing him and tying him up. The only reason things went pear-shaped is because he sussed out that something was wrong, picked up the Rebel chatter, and gathered a team. 

Except there were still soldiers patrolling the dam, so if one of them happened to go by the comms room and see the guy was tied down, the jig would have been up. What they didn't account for was a competent comm officer who kept trying to make it work and ended up patching in their own radio frequency.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Except there were still soldiers patrolling the dam, so if one of them happened to go by the comms room and see the guy was tied down, the jig would have been up.

Good point, forgot that scene of his talking with the guys who were late. Fair enough. 

2 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

What they didn't account for was a competent comm officer who kept trying to make it work and ended up patching in their own radio frequency.

Yep. I liked the fact that, you know, there are competent Imperials. They aren't all buffoons and blowhards. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Ran said:

Hah, Linda remarked she could see I was nervous as the heist proceeded. Like, I know how it is going to go -- not everyone will survive, Andor will get out -- but even so the cinematic tension-building still worked.

The sweet spot for tension - a bunch of characters that aren't protected by plot armour, but established well enough for us to hope they survive. Particularly on point for SW that hope is what makes it work so well.

11 minutes ago, Corvinus85 said:

Except there were still soldiers patrolling the dam, so if one of them happened to go by the comms room and see the guy was tied down, the jig would have been up. What they didn't account for was a competent comm officer who kept trying to make it work and ended up patching in their own radio frequency.

It feels like it's going to be a recurring theme of this story that overly enthusiastic lowish level true believer fascists are the big hurdle for opposing efforts. The Corpo security officer was a true believer and the reason everything blew up in the first arc, and now this comm officer who could have just written it off as being due to the eye - most would have. People that are just cashing their pay check and people that are playing the corrupt games for their own benefit can both be predicted relatively well and accounted for, but inexplicably enthusiastic goons cover the whole spectrum from dumb to inspired. They can also mess things up for both sides.

I'm expecting this to be the case with the blonde ISB officer as well, her interactions with her subordinate read as sincere dedication to the cause.

On a separate note, that shot of the pilot dropping into his Tie fighter against the back drop of the eye was a stand out shot in an already gorgeous episode.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...