Watched, Watched, Watching: It's not the plane, it's the pilot

Veltigar

I just had to go with a Top Gun: Maverick reference for the thread title :D

Slowly making my way to season 5 of Better Call Saul. I had a bit of a Breaking Bad overdose when watching this during the pandemic (All seasons of Breaking Bad, followed by El Camino and then the first four seasons of Better Call Saul), but now I'm back into it I am really enjoying myself. While I have never been that big of a fan of the source show, so take that into account, I have to say that I enjoy watching Better Call Saul way more than I ever enjoyed watching Breaking Bad.

I'm watching Alone S9 these days.  I wish I had the skills to do some of those things.  There are some interesting strategies this season -- using one's own green hair as part of a fishing fly, bringing a brick of salt as a personal item, building a dock in the river, etc.  Also, with all of the talk of bear in every episode, I'm expecting a bear attack near the end of the season.

9 hours ago, Teng Ai Hui said:

I'm watching Alone S9 these days.  I wish I had the skills to do some of those things.  There are some interesting strategies this season -- using one's own green hair as part of a fishing fly, bringing a brick of salt as a personal item, building a dock in the river, etc.  Also, with all of the talk of bear in every episode, I'm expecting a bear attack near the end of the season.

It has been pretty entertaining so far, beaver being the new thing to hunt. Bear seems to always be the talk of the contestants because it's the one thing that can eat them and that they could survive on for a long time due to the high fat content.  Green hair was smart. The fishing dock was done before and the guy even put a gill net out off the end of it. What kills me is the people who build log cabins that would last a lifetime and burn all their energy doing it and tap out after it's built! That said, my fat ass would tap out before the boat was even out of sight!

Started Bosch Legacy today, accessing it through Amazon Prime, freevee?  It feels a little different but still the same as Bosch when Amazon made it. Two things I noticed, they seem obsessed with F bombs, drop em like crazy. And the opening, who knew you could miss the opening to a show? The old series had a familiar song that I liked.

Dark Winds is pretty good.  Seen the first three episodes.  Zahn McClarnon is a great leading man, and the other cast hold their own.  It's got a welcome streak of humour in it to contrast with the darkness of the unveiling plot.

Watched Dr Strange in the Multiverse of Madness on my Oculus Quest 2 - it feels like you're about 8 rows up from a colossal screen - so large that I have to move my head since the Quest doesn't really work with your eyes focusing on peripheral stuff. I also had a fresh jar of my favorite strain of dispensary weed. I'm not one of those preachy stoner types, but man was that movie made for an elevated experience. Some of those scenes were absolutely bananas. And as a 41yo guy with an Army of Darkness poster framed among my seven in the living room, I am clearly in the right market for Raimi's gonzo vision. While I'm almost totally detached from the MCU now, I absolutely had a blast for this one. Thor: Love and Thunder will have a stiff time dethroning this as Most Fun MCU Film Since Ragnarok.

I'm rewatching The Good Place. The first time around, I enjoyed the first 3 or 4 seasons but then not as much so I quit. We'll see how it goes this time, but so far I'm loving it again. Janet rocks and Ted Danson is awesome in this.

One flew over the Cuckoo's nest 

By far one of the most loyal adaptations, equal if not better than the book by Ken Kesey. Nicholson was simply terrific and I liked the Bibbit actor's performance. Debutante at that! 

3 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I have had a couple favorite episodes throughout this absolute joyride on the Buffy train, but goodness me, s4e8 is a screen writing masterclass, it should be in curriculums, it’s pure untainted genius.

Just about my own awe-struck response even the first time around watching that episode.  Among so many other things this ep accomplished was the pure deconstruction of this holiday in the USA, and all the issues around it, getting yelled about around family Thanksgiving dinners, with the home for the holiday undergrads with their newly discovered information about the history of the US -- and the holiday -- and all the rest.  This was frackin' frackin' frackin' brilliant.

The Orville delivered its best episode of the season by far, and fixed a very iffy writing decision they made back in Season 1 (although they were course-correcting for that already in Season 2).

"Your ability to reason has been compromised by your cultural indoctrination" is an great Isaac line. And I was thoroughly expecting a B-plot about a ravaging monster from the temple which never happened. Dedicating the entire 70-minute episode to a morality tale was a bold move and one that paid off.

5 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

I have had a couple favorite episodes throughout this absolute joyride on the Buffy train, but goodness me, s4e8 is a screen writing masterclass, it should be in curriculums, it’s pure untainted genius. 

Wait for Episode 10!

1 hour ago, Zorral said:

Just about my own awe-struck response even the first time around watching that episode.  Among so many other things this ep accomplished was the pure deconstruction of this holiday in the USA, and all the issues around it, getting yelled about around family Thanksgiving dinners, with the home for the holiday undergrads with their newly discovered information about the history of the US -- and the holiday -- and all the rest.  This was frackin' frackin' frackin' brilliant.

That’s one thing, what swept me off my feet was the how. There were so many layers I lost count, each and every one of them was nuanced and shown from various standpoints. And all this was perfectly distributed among the characters in a way that fit their current arc, their core personality, their background. The statements were firm because nobody backed down yet gentle because it was a debate among people who cared about each other. The topic had weight yet there was room for humor that added, rather than took away. It was tied to the plot, had place in the story, it had impact but didn’t define. It was just purely masterful, and in retrospect, though they never knew this at the time of writing, the most exquisite middle finger to modern entertainment. 

3 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

That’s one thing, what swept me off my feet was the how.

My convincing you to press on is probably one of the biggest successes I've had on these threads. Glad you're enjoying it so much!

Do share your thoughts on "Hush", the tenth episode of the season, when you get to it.

31 minutes ago, RhaenysBee said:

though they never knew this at the time of writing

Something else the writers couldn't know then, the characters who would be still standing for the finale, are all at the table, even Spike, even if he can't eat the turkey, and even Angel, even though he can't come in and be with the others, other than in spirit.

8 hours ago, RhaenysBee said:

A bear! You made a bear!

I’m about to wrap up this rewatch. On S7E16. 

Archived